SDS100/SDS200: SDS200, SDS200E Specifications

petereye

Premium Subscriber
I have attached the Specification Pages for the SDS200 and the SDS200E . As you can see that the Specs listed for the Sds200, ONE PAGE Vs the Sds200e that is 10 PAGES, and has much more actual info. Can anyone from Uniden explain why? and are the sds200e specs for receive sensitivity different from the sds200 ?
And why weren't this specs publish in the sds200 manual.

Attachments

• SDS200 specs.pdf
    33 KB · Views: 48
  • SDS200E Specs.pdf
    259.4 KB · Views: 57

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The regulatory agencies requirements differ from country to country. These regulatory agencies specify the manufacturers must abide by their standards or the manufacturers would be barred from marketing their product. It would be nice if one country created a set of standards and every other country adopted them but that’s not the case. So, there is a difference between the SDS200 & SDS200E. Regulatory agencies also specify what documentation must be supplied to the end user. (Back when the AM radio first sold, a schematic was required to be included, by law in the State of Connecticut, USA. I imagine other states had the same expectation. It was due to the fact that there were no radio repair facilities yet. Of course, with time that changed. But the included schematic was to be used to repair by owner if needed. I don’t believe that requirement is still on the books today and if it is it’s not enforced.)

Ubbe

If Uniden doesn't state any exact specifications then no one can sue them. In Europe we don't sue companies, as a court will only have a company pay for any bills you can prove occurred due to the wrong specification and perhaps $100 if you have suffered any personal trauma from it to, and we just send the product back to be fixed during warranty.

That EU spec of lowest limit of scan rate of 60ch/s would be a disaster to have in US as it has been locked to a 45ch/s rate for 2-3 years now.

/Ubbe

petereye

Premium Subscriber
Really! No receive specifications. Icom, Yaesau, Kenwood, etc. all publish receive specifications for there Radios. Even Baofeng publishes specifications. That is a cop out if I ever heard one

petereye

Premium Subscriber
The regulatory agencies requirements differ from country to country. These regulatory agencies specify the manufacturers must abide by their standards or the manufacturers would be barred from marketing their product. It would be nice if one country created a set of standards and every other country adopted them but that’s not the case. So, there is a difference between the SDS200 & SDS200E. Regulatory agencies also specify what documentation must be supplied to the end user. (Back when the AM radio first sold, a schematic was required to be included, by law in the State of Connecticut, USA. I imagine other states had the same expectation. It was due to the fact that there were no radio repair facilities yet. Of course, with time that changed. But the included schematic was to be used to repair by owner if needed. I don’t believe that requirement is still on the books today and if it is it’s not enforced.)
I am talking about receive sensitivity specs which should be published THE USA VERSION HAS NO SPECS The Rest of the world has FULL SPECIFICATIONS for all receive bands. THAT IS NOT RIGHT! Every Radio and scanner I have ever owned has shown me the receive specs .

Last edited:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I am talking about receive sensitivity specs which should be published THE USA VERSION HAS NO SPECS The Rest of the world has FULL SPECIFICATIONS for all receive bands. THAT IS NOT RIGHT! Every Radio and scanner I have ever owned has shown me the receive specs .
So its time to ask the FCC why. If you don’t get an answer you can then try your federal confressmen.
If Uniden doesn't state any exact specifications then no one can sue them. In Europe we don't sue companies, as a court will only have a company pay for any bills you can prove occurred due to the wrong specification and perhaps $100 if you have suffered any personal trauma from it to, and we just send the product back to be fixed during warranty.

That EU spec of lowest limit of scan rate of 60ch/s would be a disaster to have in US as it has been locked to a 45ch/s rate for 2-3 years now.

/Ubbe
lawsuits may have a part to play in what gets printed or left out but it’s a very small part. It’s got more to do with what Uniden is required by law to do in order to be able to market their products in the USA. Uniden isn’t about to do anything more than they are required to do.

petereye

Premium Subscriber
Funny thing is I just downloaded a Uniden 996p2 and a BCD436hp Manual attached are the specs pages . It shows all the sensitivity specs. I just find it very strange that there are none for the sds200 . There is no scan rate published for the 996p2 but sensitivity on all bands is. Also attached specs for BCD436hp SCAN RATE 85ch/s where is it written that scan rate is limited to 45ch/s? Both of these manual were Just downloaded off of the Uniden site.And the Newest 2024 scanner BCD260DN has all the sensitivity specs in the manual

Attachments

• BCD996P2 specs.pdf
    99.9 KB · Views: 9
  • BCD436HPspecspdf.pdf
    87.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Well, go buy Uniden America... And make it so.

Or don't buy any radio until you have full specs worldwide.

There is NO "RIGHT" to specifications beyond what the US law requires.

It is what it is.. Live with it...

Ubbe

where is it written that scan rate is limited to 45ch/s?
For the SDS scanners it was a bug that Uniden introduced a couple of years ago when they changed the sample rate of the debug log function. It is a bug as the search rate are still some 90 steps per sec, so there's no technical reason to reduce the scan speed. The 45ch/s are shown in the debug log and when measured without antenna and scanning 450 conventional frequencies that takes 10 sec, if the scanner doesn't stop on internal birdies which will slow down the scan rate even further.

SDS scanners use a receiver that are extremely dependent of the RF environment. UPMan once stated that sensitivity are better than 2uV but when measuring with a single signal from a RF signal generator it is actually 0,3uV as most other scanners. When connecting an antenna it can easily desense and it can also automatically reduce its gain if it senses a strong transmitter at its input, limited by its bandpass filters, that will have a 760-1300MHz range for the highest frequencies. So there's no real guaranteed sensitivity that can be given for a SDS scanner that will be true in all normal circumstances. And that goes for all RF related specifications for a SDS scanner.

/Ubbe

pyeman99

"SDS scanners use a receiver that are extremely dependent of the RF environment. UPMan once stated that sensitivity are better than 2uV but when measuring with a single signal from a RF signal generator it is actually 0,3uV as most other scanners. When connecting an antenna it can easily desense and it can also automatically reduce its gain if it senses a strong transmitter at its input, limited by its bandpass filters, that will have a 760-1300MHz range for the highest frequencies. So there's no real guaranteed sensitivity that can be given for a SDS scanner that will be true in all normal circumstances. And that goes for all RF related specifications for a SDS scanner."

Ubbe You are right,most of the development cost gets spent on the digital processing,decoding.Ok we need an Rx,let's throw in a cheap Rtl type SDR chip,let's add a bit of RF front end filtering,hey don't spend too much,we are on a budget here.This is not confined to Uniden so don't bash them too hard. On the bench brilliant, -118dbm for 12db Sinad.
On air,strong local signals stop it decoding.That's the real world.
In our RF crowded world,be prepared to pay very serious money for a receiver that can cut it. Upwards of $3000 maybe.Buy cheap buy twice.
Keith

petereye

Premium Subscriber
Well, go buy Uniden America... And make it so.

Or don't buy any radio until you have full specs worldwide.

There is NO "RIGHT" to specifications beyond what the US law requires.

It is what it is.. Live with it...
I have already payed my $700 dues to the SDS200 club Just find it odd that all their other scanners publish actual specs BUT I have a"RIGHT" to complain about it.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I have already payed my $700 dues to the SDS200 club Just find it odd that all their other scanners publish actual specs BUT I have a"RIGHT" to complain about it.
You obviously thought enough of it without specs to buy it. I presume you "did your homework" before you paid $700 so you knew what others thought of the radio. I also presume you didn't send it back within the typical 30 day return window (if you bought it from a reputable place).

All without the specs.

So who gives a rat's ass about what lab measurements are.. Real world use is what counts.

But yes, you have the right to complain... And I have a right to believe you are foolish to make a big deal out if it.

And that's my last word on this subject.

gary123

Specs give you a baseline expectation. With that you can then do real world testing. Many factors affect performance. Sensitivity , bandwidth of the receiver, band pass filters, amplifiers and amplifier stages even the quality of the components. In the real world you need to take all this into consideration. The biggest highest antenna may not be the ideal setup for receiving local or even distant signals. Band congestion, RF levels even proximity to a service all are important factors to be aware of.

As a consumer I do believe that the more technical info a manufacturer makes available the better. It may not be in a manual but an online link can be of use.