• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Seafoam

Status
Not open for further replies.
After lots of research, I finally went out and got a bottle of this stuff. Put the whole thing...along with a full tank of gas in my car's tank yesterday evening. We'll see what happens.

I know this isn't an automotive forum..I just wanted to know if anyone else has experience with this stuff.

-ZTO

I looked up the formula for it, it sounds like its mostly isopropyl alcohol, really light oil and naphtha, which is whats in the higher-end fuel injector cleaners like BG 44K (which I've used a few times and that actually makes a big difference, in fuel economy more than anywhere, but its $20 a bottle and Seafoam is $6 a bottle where I got it.).

Searching youtube for it shows a lot of people putting it in the crankcase too...yeah, I'm not going to that, however.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
I really think if you buy quality gasoline, and use synthetic oil, you're all set. The only additive I've ever use is a bottle of Gumout in the gas tank, once a year.

I buy 87 octane gasoline at name-brand stations most of the time, and when I'm traveling between Richmond, VA and Washington, DC I stop and buy discount gasoline. I only use Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil and get it changed every 3,000 miles....another reason why I wouldn't want to put that in the crankcase. I can understand why cars that haven't been maintained well would benefit from it.

Considering my car is almost at 149000 miles, I'm sure removing all the carbon from the crankcase would probably do more harm than good, but cleaning the injectors and fuel system can't hurt at all.

Yeeeaaeehh

I use the synthetic mobile 1 myself.. I like the extended milage veriety.. It's less watery after being in there too long, so it's still coating well. I noticed the non extended milage kind get less viscous and almost useless after 4k. Use holiday gas, not BP because that additive **** they put in threir gas burns too hot and will make ur oil black. Like Greatlakes said, if u use the right thing the first time.. there wont be any reason to fix it with mystery bottles. Buuuut, I spose a good spray of the intake manifold is good a few times a year.. gotta clean the sensers and crud off ur butterfly from time to time. And you could get a bottle of seafoam and pour that down your intake manifold with a tube and funnel, running at 2k rpm. And always always always use the smallest octane gas you can.. unless your driving a premium only car. Most importantly do the changes on time and nothing more. Skrewing with stuff can lead to revelations!

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
KF4ZTO said:
I buy 87 octane gasoline at name-brand stations most of the time, and when I'm traveling between Richmond, VA and Washington, DC I stop and buy discount gasoline. I only use Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil and get it changed every 3,000 miles....another reason why I wouldn't want to put that in the crankcase. I can understand why cars that haven't been maintained well would benefit from it.

Considering my car is almost at 149000 miles, I'm sure removing all the carbon from the crankcase would probably do more harm than good, but cleaning the injectors and fuel system can't hurt at all.
All brand name gasolines, and engine oils have detergent additives already blended in them for that purpose.

pogbobo said:
check out http://www.toptiergas.com/

i try to stick with chevron gas ... every once in a while I'll use some marvel mystery oil, its great stuff ... so is seafoam for cleaning out carbon build up
Ok so i cant help but see shell on the list. I submit that instead of gas they are mixing addetives into the mix which burn off faster. I know this because iv used Shell gas and Holiday gas. I always get better milage with holiday gas. I believe the additives in Shell gas cause it to burn faster. For me the difference is significant, about 140 miles different.

Excuse us goobers down here in the South.
But wtf is holiday gas.
Is it the same thing I had last Thanksgiving from eating Aunt Bea's sweet tater casserole?

All gasoline's are required by the EPA to have the same formulas depending on region and season of the year.
I've seen BP trucks get their loads at Shell depots and Texaco trucks get theirs at Exxon.
The formulas are the same.
The only company that does not do this is Citgo.
It's owned by that commie guy down in S.A.

OH, by the way, buy Exxon.
I own stock.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I can get all the seafoam I want for free right down the street but I wouldn't put it in the gas tank. (If you have to ask you didn't look in the upper right corner.)

ATF is the best and cheapest fuel additive out there, in my opinion. Run a pint with every tank.

I've dumped straight seafoam in the plenum until the motor dies. Let it sit and start it up (like the instructions say on the can) and it cleans up the suck side real nice. The motor stopped throwing codes, the idle smoothed up and the mileage increased.

The recommended crankcase use is that the engine be warmed up, the additive added, and the motor left to idle for a while before the crankcase is drained and oil changed. I wouldn't pull a trailer up a mountain pass, or drag race with seafoam in the block.

KC2TEX

Premium Subscriber
The Good Stuff

Techron by Chevron is excellent for cleaning the gum out of the carbs and injection systems. Not cheap, but it works great. -John

Well, 170 miles into this tank with this stuff in it, engine seems to be running smoother already...it could be a placebo effect, but it works for me.

-ZTO

Holiday is just a gas station in the upper Midwest. There gas is called blue planet.. Not a big deal, they just don't inflate there gas with quick burning additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.