Searching for Ramsey Passive Aircraft Monitor Receiver (ABM1) details and/or unit.

johncorl

This is a really long shot, but here goes....

I recently went on vacation and when I did, always took my Ramsey passive aircraft monitor receiver (ABM1) with me. I love listening in as well as being a pilot myself. In a slight lapse of judgement, I put it in my checked bag which needed up permanently lost. Unfortunately, I have searched everywhere and there are no kits anymore and have not been for years. I even contacted Ramsey (which happens to be 10 miles from my house), but they have since gotten out of the kit business too and do not have anything.

Does anyone have the original manual that included the schematic? I have the manual that didn't include it which was the pre built unit. I have been working to recreate the PCB and rebuild, but this will be a long and painful process. Bonus if anyone has one they no longer use and would be willing to make a deal.

Thanks for all the help!
John

johncorl

I found this, I had been considering homebrewing one. Passive air band aircraft monitor
I did see this and it had some promise. I know this will be a long journey. I probably should document the process so it may help others when I get closer.

Well crap, its got the parts list and board layout, but looks like the schematic on page 14 isnt there... odd
Thanks, but unfortunately this is all I can find to. I have reversed the board and may have to just map it out using the parts list. Funny, the board embedded in the PDF has layers and I was able to work those layers into front, back and silk screens. too bad its in now SVG format and that is not easy to get into compatible format PCB folks need. I could always etch myself, but I am trying to stay away from that.

scanner_nut

Here is a link to a PDF that has projects for an active and a passive air receiver starting on page 140. The schematic on page 151 is for the passive receiver. The author acknowledges the schematics "Courtesy of Ramsey Electronics". Hope this helps, Happy and Safe New Year! http://www.ik4hdq.net/22RadioPro.pdf

johncorl

Folks,

Thank you so much for your creativity and help. For anyone else looking, I did find the schematic on this site.

Looks like I missed a unit on Ebay in early December. If anyone still has a unit they are willing to part with, let me know. Otherwise, I am still on my quest to recreate it.

Happy New Year!

John

DSC0215.jpeg

Schematic

spacellamaman

Folks,

Thank you so much for your creativity and help. For anyone else looking, I did find the schematic on this site.

Looks like I missed a unit on Ebay in early December. If anyone still has a unit they are willing to part with, let me know. Otherwise, I am still on my quest to recreate it.

Happy New Year!

John

View attachment 154008

Schematic
For those of us who are disinclined to take on such a project, documenting your progress would be a big help.

For those of us who giggle at the mention of a "cold joint" and tend to find soldering irons dangerous to our own health, I bet some of us (hint hint) would be thrilled to offer decent sums of cash for a functioning gadget :)