Security question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker7

Was listening to a local mall security channel and they gave out someones full phone number first and last name and model and license plate number, is this allowed? It seams like that should be breaking a rule or something.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
There are no rules or laws over that at all. Don't need to be.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

beaker7

There are no rules or laws over that at all. Don't need to be.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Ok thought that would be an issue giving someones personal cell number would be an issue. I wont give my info to security lol.

marksmith

It's not very smart of the mall security guy to pass all that info in the clear but there is no rule, FCC or otherwise about it. More common sense.

The mall guy seems to think he is using a secure communication device when he is not. Believe it or not, this is pretty normal, and the reason why the real rule is that you should not repeat any confidential information you hear by scanning. And you will hear lots if you scan regularly.

I would not provide your social security number and bank pin to the mall security guy.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

jparks29

John McClane
I have heard the State Patrol giving out Social Security Numbers over the air along with their other pertinent information...

Shawn

This.

Also hear them giving out 'non-public' public safety contact numbers, like private #s to high ranking officials in the agency or direct lines to the EOC. teletype, etc.

Used to be you could call 'teletype' and they assumed that if you had the number you were authorized to run records/background/plates etc and would give you any information you wanted... 'I need a 28 (10-28) and 29 (10-29) on Maryland Adam Boy Charles 1 2 3).... (calltaker) Adam Boy Charles 123 comes back to John Doe, 123 Any St, Baltimore, registration good until March 2005, Clear MILES, license C- Charles valid until 05/2009'

Hasn't been that way for a while though.. :D

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Years ago it was common to use a SSN as an ID number over the air. Nowadays our local PD uses the state driver's license number which is public information. Phone numbers are also considered public information.

Private security officers are not law enforcement officers and you are not required to give them any information. If they are detaining you for something like theft wait until the police arrive and provide them with the information and they can forward that to the security department.

Delta33

I hate it when our State pd runs a tag, only to have dispatch read it back and indicate a Concealed Carry holder Then give out the damn Address!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.