Seeking advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

miata54

Premium Subscriber
Hello All:

First post here at RR. As the title says, I am seeking any advice you might be able to provide.

The search function in my BC245XLT no longer works. I can't program talk groups for Worcester Public Safety, so I am considering the GRE PSR-700 as a new scanner. Any areas of concern I should be aware of about this scanner? Will the included SD card cover my principal area coverage of Boston-Worcester?

Thanks

Chris

miata54

Premium Subscriber
Well, after two days of searching/reading this entire website, I found the answers to questions I had about GRE products and just ordered a PSR-500. Now I have to decide which software program, ARC500 or WIN500, to use to simplify installation of frequencies. Which is the easiest to use or are they about the same?

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at PSREdit software also. I use both Win 500 and PSREdit, both are very good.

miata54

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mark. Seeing all three have a time trial, I'll experiment with them all. I didn't know about PSREdit. Thanks for the tip.

Chris

garys

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mark. Seeing all three have a time trial, I'll experiment with them all. I didn't know about PSREdit. Thanks for the tip.

Chris

My only suggestion is that you make sure that you try uploading and downloading to the scanner with any software package you try. I tried all of the programs out there, but for some reason, with the computer/scanner combo I had only ARC500 would reliably upload to the scanner.

Other than that, try them all and find the one that you like the best.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
I have never had issues uploading from the RRDB using Win 500 or PSREdit. Definitely try this yourself before making any decisions.

miata54

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mark. I'm in the process of the 30 day free trial for WIN500 and so far it is going OK. I don't even have the scanner yet(!) but I thought I'd create the files to eventually upload to the PSR500. I had a little trouble finding the frequency location for Boston Fire but did eventually locate them.

I notice that there are several frequencies for repeater locations through out the City of Boston for the BFD. Should these be included as well as the base frequencies (483.1625 - 483.3125)?

Chris

Last edited:

N1GJB

I haven't listened to Boston Fire quite as much recently as I have in the past, but you should be all set with the main frequencies for channels 1-5 (Channel 1 being operations, ch 2 Fireground 1, ch 3 fireground 2, ch 4 fireground 3/hazmat incidents/tunnels and subways, ch 5 apparatus page dispatch (Station alerting))

ecps92

Not sure how well BFD Covers into Worcester County, but the 1st four frequencies are Boston Fire the other 3 would be the Mutual Aid [Metro Fire] if you are seeing
and

Thanks Mark. I'm in the process of the 30 day free trial for WIN500 and so far it is going OK. I don't even have the scanner yet(!) but I thought I'd create the files to eventually upload to the PSR500. I had a little trouble finding the frequency location for Boston Fire but did eventually locate them.

I notice that there are several frequencies for repeater locations through out the City of Boston for the BFD. Should these be included as well as the base frequencies (483.1625 - 483.3125)?

Chris

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Let me correct my previous answer regarding importing. When using Win 500, it will grab the TAG description as posted in the database, and NOT the ALPHA TAG, which is really what you want. So let's say you imported Sandwich PD using the software. The alpha tag (which shows you who is talking) would show as LAW DISPATCH. If you navigate to Barnstable County you will see what I mean. The software does not give you the option to grab the ALPHA TAG. PSREdit allows you to grab the alpha tag so that it will show as Sandwich PD when their frequency 855.1125 is active on the scanner. I believe this is the result of the database getting an extreme makeover to conform to how the new Uniden Home Patrol scanner uses the database for it's scanner memory.

miata54

Premium Subscriber
Excellent info all. Thanks.

I'll try PSREdit as well Mark, regarding your info about the Alpha Tags.

Thx

Highpockets

Let me correct my previous answer regarding importing. When using Win 500, it will grab the TAG description as posted in the database, and NOT the ALPHA TAG, which is really what you want. So let's say you imported Sandwich PD using the software. The alpha tag (which shows you who is talking) would show as LAW DISPATCH. If you navigate to Barnstable County you will see what I mean. The software does not give you the option to grab the ALPHA TAG. PSREdit allows you to grab the alpha tag so that it will show as Sandwich PD when their frequency 855.1125 is active on the scanner. I believe this is the result of the database getting an extreme makeover to conform to how the new Uniden Home Patrol scanner uses the database for it's scanner memory.

Win500 you can import either the Alpha Tag or description, there ia a check box on the screen where you pick the scan list and name for the system. You'll see it near the bottom of the screen, there is 3 choices.

miata54

Premium Subscriber
Win500 you can import either the Alpha Tag or description, there ia a check box on the screen where you pick the scan list and name for the system. You'll see it near the bottom of the screen, there is 3 choices.

Thanks Steve. I did find that option using WIN500 and am currently "playing" with PSREDIT500. Perhaps this is also available in WIN500, but I really like the ability I've found in PSREDIT500 to be able to select a category (fire, police, etc.,) and the program will selectively pick just those frequencies for a desired talk group. Have I got that right?

Chris

Last edited:

Highpockets

Thanks Steve. I did find that option using WIN500 and am currently "playing" with PSREDIT500. Perhaps this is also available in WIN500, but I really like the ability I've found in PSREDIT500 to be able to select a category (fire, police, etc.,) and the program will selectively pick just those frequencies for a desired talk group. Have I got that right?

Chris

Look at this Guide it will give you an idea what Win500 can do, with illustrations.

WIN500 - UtahRadio

miata54

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Steve. I had already found that a couple of days ago, but I appreciate your reference. I've been scanning (pun intended!) this forum now for about a week and am absolutely amazed at the depth of available info regarding this hobby. Not to change the subject, but I will!

I've been reading the various post/threads about "rebanding". I see that the Mass State Police commenced this process in 1-2011. Is it fair to assume that by now, it is complete and that the frequencies I have just entered into WIN500 & PSREDIT500 are the rebanded frequencies? I just don't want to upload out of date info (frequencies) to my PSR500 (when I get it).

Thx

Chris

Highpockets

Thanks Steve. I had already found that a couple of days ago, but I appreciate your reference. I've been scanning (pun intended!) this forum now for about a week and am absolutely amazed at the depth of available info regarding this hobby. Not to change the subject, but I will!

I've been reading the various post/threads about "rebanding". I see that the Mass State Police commenced this process in 1-2011. Is it fair to assume that by now, it is complete and that the frequencies I have just entered into WIN500 & PSREDIT500 are the rebanded frequencies? I just don't want to upload out of date info (frequencies) to my PSR500 (when I get it).

Thx

Chris

Not living there and monitoring I would be guessing or just going by what's in the database, your better off getting the rebanding info from one of the locals who know the system. Around me freq's change all the time so I just keep an eye on the database and make changes as I see them and upload the new info to the scanner. Using software to program your scanner makes changing freq's and other info a simple process.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
MSP has begun rebanding but it's been primarily in the western part of the state. You should be good with what's here in the RRDB. For more info on MA and New England visit the website in my signature. Both are great resources.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber

I just learned something new, thanks.

miata54

Premium Subscriber
MSP has begun rebanding but it's been primarily in the western part of the state. You should be good with what's here in the RRDB. For more info on MA and New England visit the website in my signature. Both are great resources.

Will do and will be registering very shortly.

Thx

N1BHH

Not sure how well BFD Covers into Worcester County, but the 1st four frequencies are Boston Fire the other 3 would be the Mutual Aid [Metro Fire] if you are seeing

The Boston Fire transmitter sites use a down tilt antenna configuration so many will be harder to hear at greater distances. Also they have 5 district repeaters which haven't seen much use as of yet on 483.1500, 483.1750, 483.2000, 483.2250, and 483.2500 which are dual mode P-25 repeaters. There hasn't been much use except the occasional testing and a few encrypted transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.