Selecting just one system from the full database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Is there a way to just select one single trunked system or one single conventional channel from the full database to a favorites list? For example, if I wanted to add the entire Virginia VSTARS radio system including all sites, not confined to a particular ZIP Code, but nothing else? When you go to add channels or systems with the ZIP Code, it adds so much extra stuff that you then have to turn off. I realize that you can also use service tags to define what you want to listen to specifically, but I remember that with the Whistler radios you could simply select which systems, sites, and talk groups that you wanted to monitor and import only those into a scanlist. Is there any trick to do this with a BCD436HP?

marksmith

That's what favorites lists are for.

Zip code scanning can give you a headache.

From inside Sentinel, find what you want in the database and then right click - append to favorites list.

It will ask you what favorites list and you can name one on the fly.

You have just created a favorites list with your single system.

Now you need to go into profile, and tell it that you want to download yes and monitor yes which will set it up to be copied to the radio and selected for listening. I would also turn off the full database.

Now you just transfer to the radio and you are ready to go.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

marksmith

If you only want certain talkgroups you can just append those, or you can append whole system and then click on the star and edit the favorites list down to just what you want, change description, etc.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

Gilligan

Database Admin
Thanks. I'm aware of the capabilities of the Sentinel software and use it to program the various favorites lists for my 436. Last time I checked, I had probably programmed in near 100 FLs that way. My question has to do with when you're traveling and don't have time to program the radio with Sentinel. I wish Uniden could implement a way to add a single system on the fly, and I don't believe this is possible without adding everything and then deleting a ton of stuff. All of that editing also wears out the keyboard and scroll knob.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Right-click on the system, then select Append Favorites List, then select the favorite list you want to add it to. Get the GPS puck and connect it to the scanner while traveling, and it will automatically select the closest sites.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Which is a stupid caveat. You're going to have to follow a similar procedure regardless of what software you use to program the scanner, if you want to add a single system to a favorite list.

If you want to monitor a single system while driving, do a Hold on the system while monitoring the main database. The easiest way to do this is to press the System button during a transmission from the desired system. You'll see a HOLD indicator light up in the bottom-right of the System area of the display. If you accidentally Hold the wrong system, tap the Hold button again and rotate the scroll knob while the System area of the display is highlighted to scroll through systems until you find the right one.

Either way, you'll need the GPS puck connected to the scanner while driving to ensure the scanner automatically selects nearby system sites while traveling.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
My question involved NOT using the Sentinel software.

You're expending an unusually high amount of effort to chase this issue which others have pointed out is not really supported. Is there a reason you can't use Sentinel? I have a copy of Sentinel on my W10 tablet and can mess with my scanner's config on the fly anywhere.

Having said that, I have not tried this, but you may want to give it a go. When you hit Enter on a held channel, one of the options is "Save to Favorites List". I've never tried that with a channel from a trunked system, and don't know if it would import other talkgroups from the system or not (i.e. you might have the entire trunked system infrastructure - sites and freqs but just that one TG); but I know it will do it for single conventional channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.