• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Sending an email to PD for scanner info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another stupid idea...well I thought I'd ask first before doing it. Would it be a good idea to send an email to a PD I'm currently monitoring and nicely asking them for the radio codes they're using? I looked online and on this forum and no one has these codes, so this is my last resort. Anyone ever done this? Will the PD be happy to share the codes or do they keep it private and will think I'm a criminal? lol thanks.

It probably can't hurt, as long as you ask politely.

The alternative, and perhaps more interesting, though slower method, is to schedule yourself for a 'ride along' program the department offers (most of them do), and this will let you chat with YOUR beat officer, usually, and ask him personally if he has a 'cheat sheet' of codes he could let you have or mail to you. DO check before going on such a ride along about whether you can take your scanner along, some departments frown seriously on their officers being 'distracted' by non-official radios in the vehicle.

When I got my first scanner several years ago, I did exactly that. I emailed the local sheriffs office and politely asked for their frequencies.

Their reply was curt, but I did get the answer I was looking for.

I actually ( many years ago did that with the local FD & they sent me straight to the dispatch room etc & I go to wait why the dispatcher on duty printed out a copy, while dispatching calls... was so coool.. but would probably Never happen in these days & times unless a a very small town. Or Pd/FD has them posted on their website.. could do a bit of searching & see if they could be there. worse they can do is say no or not respond or say no
Good Luck

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
SkipSanders said:
The alternative, and perhaps more interesting, though slower method, is to schedule yourself for a 'ride along' program the department offers (most of them do), and this will let you chat with YOUR beat officer, usually, and ask him personally if he has a 'cheat sheet' of codes he could let you have or mail to you.
I concur with Skip. This would probably be your best bet if you meet the age requirements.

Whomever you email or phone, make sure it's someone like a Public Information Officer.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Most states have Freedom of Information laws that would make any documents they have public records. If they have a list of their codes, they would be public records.

N1GTL said:
Most states have Freedom of Information laws that would make any documents they have public records. If they have a list of their codes, they would be public records.
Sorry, try again, wrong answer. Codes, frequencies, etc, fall under 'Policies and Proceedures', which are normally (are, for federal FOIA) exempt from release.

They can tell you, but they are not required to.

It's not a bad idea, but it certainly would not be my first choice. First, I'd call the closest Radio Shack and ask them. Chances are they have it. Next, I'd call the local news media and talk to the chief photographer. If anybody in that town knows the codes, he does. In smaller towns, probably all the reporters are scannists too.

If those fail, then it can't hurt to ask the PD. These days, a great many of them are run by MBAs who are progressive about public image and are more than happy to provide such things. The big PDs around Dallas-Fort Worth do. But again, I would make this my last resort, because there are also a lot of tin-foil hat wearing police chiefs out there who, if you remind them that people are watching them, will grow more paranoid and start looking for ways to prevent it.

Perhaps you could just post the name of the agency you are talking about in the forum for your state and see if any of us know. I bet somebody does.

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
af5rn said:
First, I'd call the closest Radio Shack and ask them. Chances are they have it.
That would require them to know something about things that aren't phones or accessories for phones.

BNSFrailfan said:
I totally laughed my ass off when I read the topic even without even reading the rest of the forum topic. LMFAO Ah,no! Not a very good idea.
I agree. That would send up a red flag for a lot of departments if they were asked about stuff like that over the phone.

If you are really an LEO as you posted in your profile xpawel15x, they should have no issue with you calling a fellow PD and asking them the codes although you should know them by this point of your career.

Last edited:
I'd ask first in the RR forum for whatever state, and be patient for a response.
Some folks don't visit forums every single day (or week).

Since you didn't post what agency you're referring to,
it's hard to direct you.

If it's in NJ, I see Yahoo Groups has several scanner buff
groups you might subscribe to and ask a question there as well.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts you can find
the info without contacting the PD.

No scanner retailers nearby to ask??

Your post probably ought to be in the General Scanning Forum
or preferably the State specific forum, if there was a clue what state.

rabidjade said:
If you are really an LEO as you posted in your profile xpawel15x, they should have no issue with you calling a fellow PD and asking them the codes although you should know them by this point of your career.
LOL
Much better advice.

Last edited:

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
rabidjade said:

Oh, that's gotta sting :D

rabidjade said:
Hmm...

LEO
... If I'm not mistaken xpawel15x is a 15/16 year old...

Explorer, I think...

it wouldent hurt to check the FCC databases too, i know that atleast our (my FD's) lowband channels are listed in there. Try that, and if not, talk to a cop first and try to get your foot in the door by making an aquantance and such. Most of the cops in my city know me because of being a fire explorer. Maybe this will help, maybe not.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
I enjoy figuring them out myself. :)

There are many common 10 codes that are fairly universal, and some scheames that vary slightly depending on department but have large general commonality. There are some wierd ones for things l"ike Aliens from Mars landing in the park", "Escaped Elephant from Circus", and "Out of Donuts backup needed" that you will never figure it out when they use that code. Chances are if aliens are landing, the responding officer isnt going to be issuing a 10-51 (area 51 har har ) but just respond in plain english and then give the 10 code for "bring me a new pair of pants"

You learn them after a while just listening, some websites are helpfull but are usually outdated.

in my town:
10-73 weapon possible
10-2 return to HQ
10-9 radio silence
ETOA or ETOH is a drunk
I know more for my local PD but I'm blanking.
I think "20" is just that, a 20 minute break that the officers get to eat.
Item E is a suspect in custody
Xray is detective units
10-3 Location request. often just: unit# "three?"
MVA is motor vehicle accident obviously

I know more, but brain is on other things

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.