sentinal assist

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

dmchalmers

go on you tube theres lots of better explainations. Only way i could make heads or tails notmany on here wanna help us newbes

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
go on you tube theres lots of better explainations. Only way i could make heads or tails notmany on here wanna help us newbes

That is incorrect. Plenty of us out here have helped or are willing to help but....hand holding is frowned upon. What that means is make a conscience effort in trying to learn about the software or scanner, and we'll jump in. Or...rephrase your issue/problem so we can work with you.

KE0HIN

thanks for those willing , as for U tube most I've found are net very helpful if there is one someone wants to suggest great . '
for those willing to assist , I have a sds200 scanner and am using BCDx36HP_Sentinel last update on this version was ‎February ‎21, ‎2021
I think its the newest.

so a few questions
#1 when I make a favorite like COLORADO DTRS system for the front range metro and north I should just program the towers I know I will hear
correct?

I see when the full database is scanned it sometimes pulls random tower names do to CC channel changes so on ....

#2 when I update full database will this also update the programmed favorite data?

more to come Ill start here.
\\

Id love someone's front range favorites files just to see what those look like , I tried in the the Colorado forum but was chased off.

thank you

tvengr

Well Known Member
We need to know certain information to be able to help. What model scanner do you have? There are 2 versions of Sentinel, one for the HomePatrol scanners (HP1 and HP2) and one for the BCDx36HP/SDS scanners. Which version of Sentinel do you have? What is your location (city, county, state) and which systems/agencies are you trying to monitor?

MStep

You might also try "reverse engineering" the operation of Sentinel by setting up a favorite on your scanner first and then reading the scanner into Sentinel. In that way you will see how Favorites lists are presented in Sentinel.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Id love someone's front range favorites files just to see what those look like , I tried in the the Colorado forum but was chased off.

thank you

You need to pick one forum to ask for help and stick with it. Not only is cross-posting not allowed, it's confusing for those who are trying to help you (which is one reason it's not allowed). I closed your Colorado forum thread since you're now asking the same question here.

And I'm not sure how you were "chased off"???

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
thanks for those willing , as for U tube most I've found are net very helpful if there is one someone wants to suggest great . '
for those willing to assist , I have a sds200 scanner and am using BCDx36HP_Sentinel last update on this version was ‎February ‎21, ‎2021
I think its the newest.
February 21, 2021, is not the latest update as far as the database goes. Offhand, I don't recall the date of the last Sentinel software, but there is not a recent update to the software.

On the other hand, the database is updated weekly. The current database is as of 10/10/2021.

so a few questions
#1 when I make a favorite like COLORADO DTRS system for the front range metro and north I should just program the towers I know I will hear
correct?

I see when the full database is scanned it sometimes pulls random tower names do to CC channel changes so on ....
If you are scanning the full database, with location & range set, the scanner will use the sites in range based on your location & range settings. Range is actually based on the range set on your scanner, plus the range figures set on the system (trunked or conventional) as entered in the database. See this for a more complete discussion of how location scanning works:
How it Works: Location, Location, Location

#2 when I update full database will this also update the programmed favorite data?
Updating the database in Sentinel (and then writing that to the scanner) only updates the main database. No updates or changes are made to Favorites lists that you've created. That's so that any customization that you have made (text tags for channels or departments, and color settings for channels) is not overwritten by updating the main database. In most cases, updates made to a given system are minor, and can easily be made in Sentinel or on the scanner itself. Quite often, the update is to something not even used in programming, such as a note on the county or system's database page. Other times, the update may not affect any agency you are monitoring.

You can easily create a 'starter' Favorites list in Sentinel using the location & range.
In your Profile in Sentinel (accessed either from the drop-down Edit menu, or by clicking the small icon under the V for the View drop-down menu that resembles a piece of paper with a pencil laying on it.

Click the Location Settings on the Profile Editor.

You can enter your location via zip code, & set a range.

1634182410786.png
After setting your location, also review Service types & enable those of interest. When the scanner is first shipped, or Sentinel is first installed, only DIspatch service types for Public Safety are enabled. (Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, & Multi-Dispatch). You should lso enter the Tac & Talk service types as well (Law Talk, Fire Tac, EMS Tac, etc).

Once you've set that, then click the Edit drop-down menu.
Select the option for Add Channels in Range
1634182814729.png
You'll get a confirmation box to double check your location & range settings, along with making sure that you have your service types of interest enabled.

If you proceed on, Sentinel will ask for a name for the list, then create it for you. While these would be the same systems & channels that would be scanned if just using location, range, and the main database on the scanner itself, duplicating that as a new Favorites list lets you examine it. You can also edit text tags for systems, departments, & channels. Plus, you can set the Alert colors for channels or systems types of your choice. I use Cyan for local law enforcement, red for fire departments, and yellow for EMS, but of course you can use whatever you want.

If you have not already done so, look at this page from the Wiki & explore the various linked pages on it.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I think its the newest.

so a few questions
correct?

more to come Ill start here.
\\

thank you

I am on the Western Slope with an SDS200. As you know, many of the local PD's and FD's are on the state system.

The day I got the SDS, I gave it my zip code, service types, what (if any) nationwide systems I wanted to listen to, updated the database and set the range at 15 miles.

The SDS did the rest. Listen and make sure you hear what you want.

Save your current DB as a favorites list. Make sure you edit it and if nothing else, turn on location controls.

Load Sentinel and read from the radio. You will notice the DTRS system has All towers in it. That's fine, with Location Control on and setting your zip code (or using a GPS with the scanner) the radio will only scan the towers within your range setting.

Many of the Denver Area PD's are (including Denver PD itself) are encrypted... No scanner will receive them.

Anyway, edit the favorites to remove stuff you don't want, save it and write back to the scanner.

NO. THE FULL DATABASE REFRESH/UPDATE DOES NOT UPDATE FAVORITES.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I think its the newest.
so a few questions
correct?
Welcome to radio reference! A moderator informed me that I missed that you have the SDS200 scanner and BCDx36HP Sentinel. I am looking at the FRCC trunked system. It makes it easier to monitor if you create favorites lists for your local area with exactly what you want to hear. As donc13 stated, updating the master database in no way affects the favorites lists you have created. You can add changes manually using Sentinel. You only want to monitor systems and sites that are within range of your location. In addition, you only want to scan the sites that are closest to you to hear radio traffic in your immediate area. If scanning a large number of systems and sites covering a wide area, you will miss a lot of local radio traffic. You can use quick keys to control which favorites lists, systems, departments, and sites you monitor. It would help to know your city and county to determine which sites are closest to you. For statewide systems, such as Colorado DTRS, it helps to have a GPS which will turn systems and sites on and off automatically as you travel. You can put the entire Colorado DTRS system in a favorites list if it doesn't exceed the 1MB limit. Members in your local area can better inform you of what's best to monitor. If you have any questions about Sentinel or the SDS200, please let us know. There are 2 main reasons for the dreaded Nothing to Scan message when you write to the scanner. In the profile editor, the appropriate service types must be enabled plus Monitor and Download must both be On for each of the favorites lists.

KE0HIN

You need to pick one forum to ask for help and stick with it. Not only is cross-posting not allowed, it's confusing for those who are trying to help you (which is one reason it's not allowed). I closed your Colorado forum thread since you're now asking the same question here.

And I'm not sure how you were "chased off"???
wow sorry i got nothing but blown off there that's why I asked it here ,I apologize this used to be a great source for information if you want close them all Im going to sell the scanner Its to complex with zero support

KE0HIN

Welcome to radio reference! A moderator informed me that I missed that you have the SDS200 scanner and BCDx36HP Sentinel. I am looking at the FRCC trunked system. It makes it easier to monitor if you create favorites lists for your local area with exactly what you want to hear. As donc13 stated, updating the master database in no way affects the favorites lists you have created. You can add changes manually using Sentinel. You only want to monitor systems and sites that are within range of your location. In addition, you only want to scan the sites that are closest to you to hear radio traffic in your immediate area. If scanning a large number of systems and sites covering a wide area, you will miss a lot of local radio traffic. You can use quick keys to control which favorites lists, systems, departments, and sites you monitor. It would help to know your city and county to determine which sites are closest to you. For statewide systems, such as Colorado DTRS, it helps to have a GPS which will turn systems and sites on and off automatically as you travel. You can put the entire Colorado DTRS system in a favorites list if it doesn't exceed the 1MB limit. Members in your local area can better inform you of what's best to monitor. If you have any questions about Sentinel or the SDS200, please let us know. There are 2 main reasons for the dreaded Nothing to Scan message when you write to the scanner. In the profile editor, the appropriate service types must be enabled plus Monitor and Download must both be On for each of the favorites lists.
yup that's why I originally posted this in Colorado forums , I'm in southern Larimer county ,I listen to fire mostly from I 70 north basically.
for Larimer towers I use bald, buckhorn and horsetooth , boulder I use Mead and longmont and a fer up by gilpin thordin

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
wow sorry i got nothing but blown off there that's why I asked it here ,I apologize this used to be a great source for information if you want close them all Im going to sell the scanner Its to complex with zero support

Blown off? No, you're asking for someone to program it for you without asking, also known as hand holding. It's obvious you're overwhelmed with the scanner, understanding how trunk systems work, talkgroups etc. If you do sell it, it won't matter to us, but you might want to step away from here with the advice you were given and watch some You Tube videos, read through manuals and you "might" get it, but that's if you're goal is to do it yourself. I starting scanning in the crystal area and have kept up with the technology over the years. During downtime, I'm self-teaching myself about Unication's programming software even though I don't own one. Keeps the mind sharp and keep up with the latest. Good luck on whatever you choose, but never make a statement that you were "blown off/no one wants to help me". Plenty of us have helped many others...

donc13

Premium Subscriber
yup that's why I originally posted this in Colorado forums , I'm in southern Larimer county ,I listen to fire mostly from I 70 north basically.
for Larimer towers I use bald, buckhorn and horsetooth , boulder I use Mead and longmont and a fer up by gilpin thordin
Did you miss this?

Status
Not open for further replies.