Sentinel can't find updates to DB ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
v2.02 rev 01. Running against a BCD436HP (not that it matters). Windows 10. Updates worked until 2/3 of this year. Now when I try to update, I get the "Checking Uniden Server" dialog for a while and then "Updating full database failed. Operation is canceled. Unable to connect to the remote server."

I can reconstruct the DB that's on there (02/03/2019) and I can connect to the network just fine (I am, after all, sending this message) and Windows update and FIrefox updates and DXLab updates and WSJT-X updates and ProScan updates (just grabbed v14.7 a moment ago) all work JUST FINE.

Disabling W10's built-in firewall does not change the behavior at all.

If the IP of the server where the updates come from is truly 69.15.51.147 (I dug around on another W10 instance on another system where updating works) is the right address, I can ping it from the PC that can't update.

Just for the halibut, I uninstalled Sentinel and went and got a fresh ZIP archive from BCDx36HPSentinel < UnidenMan4 < TWiki and reinstalled. No change.

As with all my radio software, it was installed under c:\apps (as it has been since I've had this computer - Fall of '17)

Ideas?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That would indicate something (PC firewall, router firewall, ISP) is blocking your PCs access to ftp.

Try to ftp to ftp.homepatrol.com (it will ask for a login in some form which depends on what ftp client you use if it can reach the server).

plaws

Premium Subscriber
That would indicate something (PC firewall, router firewall, ISP) is blocking your PCs access to ftp.

Try to ftp to ftp.homepatrol.com (it will ask for a login in some form which depends on what ftp client you use if it can reach the server).

Interesting. That's the name that resolves to the IP I thought it did. I can ping that address but an FTP client (whether Firefox or Windows' command line client) gets a timeout. Traceroute (tracert) can get there, too (ICMP is ICMP). But the host at the other end doesn't seem to like my IP.

And now that I know it's a network issue (as in, someone, somewhere, doesn't like my IP), a quick VPN to work gets me an updated DB.

It's not worth tracking down beyond that now that I know what the issue is (and have a workaround).

Thanks!

man4goodtool

I am having the same problem. Sentinel cannot connect to server. V2.02 r01. Tried ftp.homepatrol.com and I get Bad Request (Invalid Hostname). How do I use a VPN w/ Sentinel? I have HOXX VPN plug-in for Firefox.

Status
Not open for further replies.