Sentinel Favorites Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
I've had a BCD436HP for several years. A few days ago I purchase a BCD536HP.

I'm having a problem with the favorites lists. To make things simple to setup the 536 I opened the 2016-07-16 list that I had used to setup my 436. I then saved the list as 2016-12-03 536. There were several favorites that I didn't need in the 536 so I deleted them from the 2016-12-03 536 list.

But when I opened the original 2016-07-16 list I found that the favorites that I deleted from the 2016-12-03 536 were also deleted the original 2016-07-16 list.

Is there a way to create a different favorites list for the 436 and 536?

Thanks,

Paul

marksmith

Yes.

You need to understand the way it works.

What you are actually saving is a different profile over the same favorites list collection.

What you do is go into the profile and select which favorites lists you want to download when using that profile. Even though all of them will remain in each profile setup.

By reading your radio back into your original profile, you can retrieve what you deleted. I would then create a new profile out of that, and then select which lists you want to download to the second radio.

All of the lists will continue to be in both lists.

I tend to have one profile, and when I get ready to write to a radio, I select the lists to download for that radio. That way I don't end up maintaining two lists just because I have 2 radios.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
It is tricky to have two radios and two profiles but marksmith explained how to do it if you want different profiles in each radio.

I too only recently added a BCD536HP to my collection that includes a BCD436HP. For now I am using the same profile in both even though I will not use the BCD536 in the same way I use the 436. But I think a time will come when I want to have unique profiles too.

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
This makes having 2 different scanners way more complicated then what it should have to be. But I think I've thought of a way to make this work.

Thanks to both of you for the quick reply.

Have a great day,

Paul

marksmith

This makes having 2 different scanners way more complicated then what it should have to be. But I think I've thought of a way to make this work.

Thanks to both of you for the quick reply.

Have a great day,

Paul
Quite a few people have made the same comment, and learned how this works by doing what you did.

I count myself among thst group.

I agree that if I had put this stuff together I might have done it more like you expected it to work. That would be the intuitive way. Only thing effected is maybe a little more space for files.

But we learn and make it work for us, however it is set up.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
To me it's like creating a document using MS Word but you can only create or modify that one document.

Take care Mark,

Paul

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Having multiple scanners with different profiles is something you have think through, but with a little more time and practice, it begins to work out.

I've got a couple of 536s and a 436. Each has its own profile and in many cases, multiple profiles for different scanning scenarios.

I look at Favorites Lists as books in the library to be checked out depending upon what the current needs are. One thing I've learned not to do is ever delete a Favorites List, unless it was something I set up as a test.

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
I think I've figured out a way to make this work with different favorites.

ofd8001 I appreaciate your helpful posts especially on the Kentucky forum.

Thanks,

Paul

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You are welcome.

You'll find its a case of turning Download to Off for a Favorites List in a profile that you do not want to be written to the scanner.

Another way: if each Favorites List has its own unique Favorites List Quick Key, you could also get in the Sentinel Profile editor, in the Quick Keys status tab, and check only those boxes for the Favorites Lists you want to be active. A checked box means the Favorites List is on by default and unchecked the FL is off by default. You can always toggle the FL on or off as you are scanning.

That way the FL is in the scanner should there be a reason you'd want to listen to it.

There are a couple of ways to do things with this software. Its a case of figuring out which is easiest/best for you.

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
Since I do some traveling though KY, IN and OH I was trying to delete out the favorites from the 536 I won't need.

Again thanks for the reply,

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.