Sentinel: Sentinel

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Which trunk systems were y'all specifically looking at regarding this? Did you see any indication why nothing comes up on some of the P25 systems when the QK is enabled? I've checked QK's, location data, etc., and I can't find the culprit. I have multiple systems (usually two) programmed under multiple QK's. When I tried to manually program the QK on some of these it would act like that QK was already being used. I know you can't program more than one FAVORITES LIST per QK but multiple systems are allowed within the FAVORITES LIST.

I have this favorites list set up for location control. About a dozen or more of the systems I have programmed for the maximum location range, otherwise they will not enable. These are not location dependent, I just want to be able to turn them on and off regardless of location. Is there any other way to program those systems without having to enter location data?
Mike,

I've been working on modifying your list to cut down on the duplications, while still economizing the duplications of using the same sites, on the same systems used by more than one city or agency on your list. Once I'm done tweaking it, I'll let you see what I changed. I'm also trying to make sure that the revisions maintain the location info you are entering.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Which trunk systems were y'all specifically looking at regarding this?

Looks like anything P25 is duplicated to some extent.

1689896124996.png

Many different systems seem to have the same quick key. You can have more than one system assigned to the same key but that is usually something more advanced users who have a very good understanding on how quick keys work will do for specific reasons.

1689896410946.png

I mean right here you have 4 systems assigned to the same key of 23

1689896540426.png

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber

View attachment 145615

Many different systems seem to have the same quick key. You can have more than one system assigned to the same key but that is usually something more advanced users who have a very good understanding on how quick keys work will do for specific reasons.

View attachment 145616

View attachment 145617
I'm not sure how THE COLONY got stuck on QK 23, that is a mistake, otherwise the other three systems were designed that way. The two P25's are actually different systems all together but all three systems are location relevant to Erath County.

Also, a little explanation on why I have duplicate systems with similar names, i.e. COLLIN P25 vs. COLLIN P25 QK. The first system is set up for location control. The second one (and all the other systems with QK on the end) are not location dependent. These are surrounding counties to me for the most part and I wanted to be able to turn them on regardless of location to be able to listen to those areas, if something was going on there, so I never listen to them simultaneously. That's just a system I came up with to distinguish which was which for programming purposes.

As JTWALKER suggested I'm going to transfer all those systems ending in "QK" and the other systems that aren't location dependent into another FAVORITE LIST and disable location control. That will accomplish what I'm trying to do.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure how THE COLONY got stuck on QK 23, that is a mistake, otherwise the other three systems were designed that way. The two P25's are actually different systems all together but all three systems are location relevant to Erath County.

Also, a little explanation on why I have duplicate systems with similar names, i.e. COLLIN P25 vs. COLLIN P25 QK. The first system is set up for location control. The second one (and all the other systems with QK on the end) are not location dependent. These are surrounding counties to me for the most part and I wanted to be able to turn them on regardless of location to be able to listen to those areas, if something was going on there, so I never listen to them simultaneously. That's just a system I came up with to distinguish which was which for programming purposes.

As JTWALKER suggested I'm going to transfer all those systems ending in "QK" and the other systems that aren't location dependent into another FAVORITE LIST and disable location control. That will accomplish what I'm trying to do.
I think that you are duplicating the same sites on the same system, for multiple cities. For example, I would reduce that down to simply PAWMCo, both sites.
Then, add the individual cites, maintaining the 'separate' quick keys you are using, to make it easier to toggle them on & off.
Should you want to use location control, just make it specified in the individual city departments.

On the Oklahoma counties, you have multiple instances of OHP & OKDOT, plus common channels (like VFIRE21, VFIRE22, etc, in more than one county. Park those in a specific systems for each type, instead of scattering the same items in multiple counties.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
What I do that makes life simple is I have a fav list for each county/area I monitor something in. Then inside each fav list are the systems for that county/area. All system and departments are prefixed with the quick key info should I forget, which is rare. St Patrick's day and New Years Eve, those do not count...

1689899388389.png

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

What you have in your list, labeled as Stephenville P25, is actually the Stephenville site for GRRN (Granbury Regional Radio Network).

The control channels were up back in May. I'm down in that area at least once every 4 to six weeks, most recently July 8th. While the controls are up, so far I have not seen any activity, on any of the three sites. Not even radio checks. Sometimes I'm in range on a weekday, other times, like 7/8, on a weekend.

I've had the "Erath CO P25" system programmed for well over a year. So far, nothing. No signals of any kind when I'm in that area.

The Palo Pinto Fire Services P25 is in your list as a single site. However, it is licensed for six sites, 2 frequencies per site (not duplicated on other sites). Here again, though I have had it programmed for quite some time, I have yet to detect any activity at all.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
I

On the Oklahoma counties, you have multiple instances of OHP & OKDOT, plus common channels (like VFIRE21, VFIRE22, etc, in more than one county. Park those in a specific systems for each type, instead of scattering the same items in multiple counties.
I've always had my 996 radios set up like what you are talking about, for instance when traveling through Texas I had DPS, TXDOT, etc., set up under individual QK's that were always on regardless of location and then had frequencies that were specific to each county under another QK with location control. What I found with the SDS radios is that they have a much slower scan speed and trying to scan multiple QK's was taking several seconds and I was missing transmissions. It seems to be quicker if I programmed one (or two if they have trunked systems) QK with the DPS, TXDOT, and the VFIRE that were specific to each county under one QK. It's more time consuming but seems to improve the scan speed. At least that's been my experience. I prefer doing it the other way though.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
I have reconfigured my FAVORITES LIST and created a new one for all the systems that don't need location control. I still can't get the P25 systems to come up when I enable their QK'S. For example in the attached file DPS TOLLWAY, QK 61, will turn on but the system won't come up. Denton P25 QK does the same. In fact just about all the P25 systems do this. Look at the settings and see if you can figure out what's going on.

Attachments

• SDS200-NL.zip
    20.4 KB · Views: 3

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
What is your rage set to and how far are you from those systems? Also, how do you use the scanner? Do you use gps? I have all my stuff scattered amongst different fav lists and have all the correct gps info entered. When I travel, I just enable location on the desired fav lists and drop my range. When home, location control is off and range is set back to 50 to ensure I have scanning what I want scanning based on my distance to those agencies.

tvengr

Well Known Member
What is your rage set to?
By now, it would be safe to say that the OP's rage is set to "Boil".

Try doing this on the scanner and see what happens: While scanning only the SDS200-NL favorites list, press the decimal point once followed by 54 followed by E. Also, press the decimal point once followed by 61 followed by E.

tvengr

Well Known Member
In addition to my previous post, change the Denton Co site quick key from 54 to None. The site will scan whenever the system is enabled. Likewise, for the DPS Tollway system, change the 5 site quick keys from 61 to None. The 5 sites will scan whenever the system is enabled.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
System and department/site quick keys are in 2 different lists. Turning on system quick key 54 will not turn on site quick key 54.
CONGRATULATIONS.............YOU IDENTIFIED THE PROBLEM.

I had all the P25 site level QK's set to the same QK as the system itself. I'm used to doing this with all my pre-SDS, FAVORITES LIST, type radios I changed all the site QK values to "None" and everything is working as designed now.

Thanks for figuring this out, it was driving me bonkers. Thanks for everyone else's input as well.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I had all the P25 site level QK's set to the same QK as the system itself. I'm used to doing this with all my pre-SDS, FAVORITES LIST, type radios
The DMA scanners use systems and groups. Sites are assigned to system quick keys. Here is a PDF file which will answer all of your questions about using quick keys in DMA scanners:

Attachments

• Uniden Scanner Quick Key Instructions DMA.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 11

Chris0516

View attachment 145615

View attachment 145616

View attachment 145617
In addition, the QK's of 34, 32, and 27 are each used twice.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
In addition, the QK's of 34, 32, and 27 are each used twice.
I have most of the counties set up on their own QK. If those locations have multiple systems that are used there then I assign those systems to the same QK because I want them all on. For example a majority of counties have both conventional & P25 systems. I'm interested in monitoring them all so I put them on the same QK.