serial port help

Status
Not open for further replies.

firedog10

Need help.
I am trying to use Arc XT software.
I am getting a message, on the screen stating " serial port is not available or used by other software"
I have re-booted, re downloaded the software for the serial port. any suggestions?
I have also deleted and re-installed the serial port software from scannermaster.
I just received the unit from the repair center. I was picking up the digital radio frequencies yesterday but not today.
Suggestions?
Not impressed with this new unit at all, I am a bit frustrated.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've ran into that frustrating problem myself several times. It's due to a comm port conflict - two things are trying to use the same comm port and the ARC XT is losing the battle..

Power down your computer and re-start it. That clears up the conflict, or at least it did if for me.

firedog10

So I should turn off the computer then re-start it?
I then wonder about not receiving the digital channels, that I was able to hear yesterday.
Thanks,
Nick

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Shutting down and re-booting the computer should not affect what is stored in the scanner.

The key is to get the computer and the scanner talking with each other. Once that is accomplished and if what you previously had in the scanner is absent, you can re-load it.

Hopefully you have saved your files on your computer somewhere before attempting to write them to the scanner. In that case you just re-open them in ARC XT and upload them to the scanner. But if worst comes to worst you can use the Internet tab on ARC XT and download the data. From there, you can upload (or write) the data to the scanner.

While having problems can be frustrating, I imagine it's really all somthing you can resolve. Many of us have said a bad word or two when we first try using computer software. Once you've used it a few times and worked through the issues, you'll be a happy camper.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Also, don't forget that you may need to enable the PC Control option on the scanner before ArcXT will even see it. The error you got doesn't indicate that ArcXT got that far, but I figured I would chime in and save you some frustration once you got the comm port issue resolved. I'm not sure if the XT scanners default to PC Control enabled, but my BC796D defaults to PC Control: Off.

Good luck!
-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.