Shack Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceans777

Listener
Awesome setup there. Very well done! Kudos!

Do you have a link(s) to the parts for where you purchased the rack from?

Cheers! Dave

Yes sir and thanks so much! And for Mancow:

Rack: I used the 8U 2 post - looks questionable but turned out to be perfect. Sturdier frame but 16 U if you prefer is on same page.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBPL8OP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Supports 100 lbs - I have about 60 max on mine and it's rock solid. Comes with screws and clips. BE AWARE - top of posts are pretty sharp edges.
Be sure to use the bottom front plate for stability, leave screws semi-tight until you level posts, add racks and radios as you go up then tighten the front facing rack screws once all is level/square. (If you use a screw gun - the screws are a bit soft and will leave sharp edges if anything beyond hand power. You can buy additional screws/clips, got an extra bag just in case.)

Shelves:
Lower two shelves: I used two 10.5" deep NavePoint Cantilever Server Shelf Vented Shelves Rack Mount 19" 1U Black for the AOR/scanners and the Icom IC-R8600's especially because they allow the 8600's to just barely fit side by side. I put small, flat rubber bumpers inside each rack side to protect the 8600's from rubbing the shelves sides and the same bumpers on one 8600 between them being careful not to block any holes in the 8600's sides. I keep a battery fan on the 8600's to keep air circulating and they run very cool all day long.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LUW45K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Top shelf is a 2U Rosewill 2U 10" deep Universal Vented Rack Mount Server Shelf for 19 Inch Server Racks/Cantilever Server - a bit sturdier 2U shelf to secure at top and lock it all in place nice and square, and holds the IC-R75 depth perfectly, Icom SP39AD speaker and NetSDR etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDWGWTM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rubber bumpers - you can always find use for these.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCLYL53/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PM or message me if anything you need at all.

John

Last edited:

oceans777

Listener
Thanks thecop - John, you've got the IC-R30 purring along so well now I'm sure you're missing nothing that I'm hearing too! Thanks largely to you we have audio activated squelch now, mine were in constant use on our recent Florida trip - easily and solidly picked up Eglin VHF UHF with stock antenna from 19 miles away. :)

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
You’ve humbled me! Just glad to be able to contribute and very glad you’re happy with the R30.
BTW - I have bought and sold more radios than I can count and the one radio I regret selling most was my AR5000+3. I would seriously consider getting another one some day.

mancow

Database Admin
Yes sir and thanks so much! And for Mancow:

Rack: I used the 8U 2 post - looks questionable but turned out to be perfect. Sturdier frame but 16 U if you prefer is on same page.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBPL8OP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Supports 100 lbs - I have about 60 max on mine and it's rock solid. Comes with screws and clips. BE AWARE - top of posts are pretty sharp edges.
Be sure to use the bottom front plate for stability, leave screws semi-tight until you level posts, add racks and radios as you go up then tighten the front facing rack screws once all is level/square. (If you use a screw gun - the screws are a bit soft and will leave sharp edges if anything beyond hand power. You can buy additional screws/clips, got an extra bag just in case.)

Shelves:
Lower two shelves: I used two 10.5" deep NavePoint Cantilever Server Shelf Vented Shelves Rack Mount 19" 1U Black for the AOR/scanners and the Icom IC-R8600's especially because they allow the 8600's to just barely fit side by side. I put small, flat rubber bumpers inside each rack side to protect the 8600's from rubbing the shelves sides and the same bumpers on one 8600 between them being careful not to block any holes in the 8600's sides. I keep a battery fan on the 8600's to keep air circulating and they run very cool all day long.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LUW45K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Top shelf is a 2U Rosewill 2U 10" deep Universal Vented Rack Mount Server Shelf for 19 Inch Server Racks/Cantilever Server - a bit sturdier 2U shelf to secure at top and lock it all in place nice and square, and holds the IC-R75 depth perfectly, Icom SP39AD speaker and NetSDR etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDWGWTM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rubber bumpers - you can always find use for these.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCLYL53/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PM or message me if anything you need at all.

John
Thank you.

bharvey2

Wow. nothing to be ashamed of there. You've got a good selection of radios and gear and it's very well organized.Stellar job in putting everything together.

oceans777

Listener
Nice installation. Curious as to what you listen to on HF.

Thanks, I listen to a bit of everything - mornings usually around 40 and 80 meters to see how conditions are. The IC-R75 "scans" MWAR aircraft on HF and those often are on the 8600's too during the day with HFGCS. I use the NetSDR and CloudIQ to look see what else looks interesting. Lately monitoring Red Cross, SATERN, some of the SC, GA, FL nets during hurricanes.
The old days of listening to Hurricane Hunter HF relays to NOAA were nice but there's still enough on HF to keep it interesting. Haven't even started decoding anything yet...

oceans777

Listener
Very nice! What are your monitoring interests? Also what antennas are hooked up here?

Thanks a lot! Antennas are Wellbrook Loop ALA1530LNP and two Par HF SWL’s fed into Stridsberg multicouplers. Monitoring HF and VHF/UHF air and Atlanta P25. Starting to try more digital modes now with a new AR-DV1.

mancow

Database Admin
I ordered two to go side by side. The picture in the Amazon ad makes it look like it tilts back a bit. Is that correct or is it straight up and down?

oceans777

Listener
I ordered two to go side by side. The picture in the Amazon ad makes it look like it tilts back a bit. Is that correct or is it straight up and down?

Yes it does tilt back a bit, just enough that I didn’t need the front feet extended on any of the receivers. All mine are sitting flat on the shelves and the rack angle is great.
Hope you like them.

mancow

Database Admin
Oh nice. That will definitely help with viewing. Thanks.

I also ordered a multi port BNC patch panel but it's going to be here later than the rest. The idea is to put it at the bottom of the one nearest me and run all antennas to one row and all radios to another then patch them on the fly with short RG174 and 58 jumpers like an old phone switchboard. I get tired to always trying to dig around the back of stuff to change antennas.

oceans777

Listener
Hmm great idea, I’d sure do that too if I didn’t have the multicouplers. My cables and power leads are still a mess behind the rack and that’s a very good idea. Nothing good comes of moving those cables around very much. Are you using any ext speakers?

mancow

Database Admin
I am not using any external speakers but might have to look into that next. I'm not sure how I would want to do that though. The rack will extend right up the top of the underside of my overhead metal cabinet/desk setup so I can't mounted them across that above everything. Maybe I could stack some on each side.

Multicoupling is my next issue. I have a low noise preamp up at the mil-air antenna that feeds an 8 port Minicircuits. That seems to bring things down to about unity giving the 8 outputs. I figure I'll route all 8 to 8 of the patch panel ports so they are all available.

oceans777

Listener
I’m finding the audio from the receivers is surprisingly good and directional still in these shelves, except the scanners of course but not stacked like mine they aren’t bad either. I’d rather have space for radios than speakers on the shelves too. Just 5 milair going are keeping me very busy - 8 must get interesting!

Sounds like a great set up - you’ll like having it all on the racks I’m sure for milair. I just got the active 8 port VHF Stridsberg (last of my radio $ for awhile) to the discone and amazed how much milair is up daily - getting range work, refueling here about 28 miles NW of KATL almost on a schedule. Use the 8600’s, AOR and Unidens to search segments and then record hits on the 8600’s and BCD536 which is perfect for fast replay to ID flights. Like to have more 536’s just for easy replay.

Happy hunting and appreciate any ideas/setup you find works well as you get yours up.

Status
Not open for further replies.