Shack Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceans777

Listener
My brother-in-law who’s a studio engineer is hopefully thinking up a (inexpensive) rack mixer/selector to use my old Bose noise cancelling headphones and quickly get audio from any of the receivers - I’ll pass anything useful along if it works well.

mancow

Database Admin
My brother-in-law who’s a studio engineer is hopefully thinking up a (inexpensive) rack mixer/selector to use my old Bose noise cancelling headphones and quickly get audio from any of the receivers - I’ll pass anything useful along if it works well.

Speaking of. I just remembered I had this. I've never used it, not sure how useful it will be.
http://www.jei-inc.com/products/ap104r.php
Product Description
The JEI Model AP-104R Audio Panel is a four (4) channel audio switching and control unit. The system has dual front panel stereo outputs for headphones (no speaker). The input selector switches control which channels go to the headphones and the output selectors turn the channel outputs on and off. It also has a serial port for computer controlled operation.
Applications
This unit is designed for military, intelligence and communications audio monitoring applications.

ZtfzFMTl.jpg

QjfN1pil.jpg

oceans777

Listener
That's exactly the idea - thanks for this info - I'll check this out and it looks like they do quite a few different models too. Very nice equip to have around!

mancow

Database Admin
This thing is neat. I can select the sources and they mix together into one headphone output. The individual rear outputs are selectable and remain level independent of volume adjustment. Perfect for toggling a recorder.

ka1njl

Where to buy one?

I have been following this thread because I'm envious of oceans777's setup. It is neat, compact and looks like it is capable of receiving almost anything. I like the idea of an audio distribution box and the JEI's products may fit the bill in that regard but I can't find a source. Their website does not list retailers that carry their products and a google search came back with nothing beyond their website. Does anyone know where I can buy their gear?

oceans777

Listener
Thanks ka1njl and I was hoping those of you more experienced, clever than I am might find it an decent solution with ideas for better audio and rack mount options so - perfect.

mancow will know more than I do I'm sure but I hope to call JEI later today or tomorrow- my blind guess is maybe they don't distribute their products and build/sell direct mainly govt and pro. I'll see what I can find out after some meetings this morning and share what I can today or tomorrow (Fri).

J.E.I.
3087 Alhambra Drive
Cameron Park, CA 95682
Telephone
Toll-free: (888) 677-2844
Phone: (530) 677-3210

ka1njl

Currently there is nothing

I got mine off Ebay.

Thanks Mancow for the pointer but currently there is nothing from JEI on ebay. I suspect oceans777 is correct and their stuff is not readily available to ordinary consumers. I'll investigate alternatives and report back with my findings.

mancow

Database Admin

ka1njl

Thanks

I found some others on ebay (other manufacturers) using search terms like RACK MOUNT AUDIO SWITCHER -VIDEO
I think the video type would work as well using just the audio inputs/outputs. Figuring out the configuration you want and number of channels is the main thing I suppose.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Extron-MVX-44-VGA-Audio-Matrix-Switcher-Switch-Rack-Mount-MVX-44/202210268666?hash=item2f14abd5fa:g:tgsAAOSw~4tacKT8:rk:11:pf:0

Thanks mancow, I didn't include the words "rack mount" in my search. Including it makes a difference. It's good to see that there are a lot of choices and generally they aren't too expensive.

N9JIG

Sheriff

oceans777

Listener
Rich,

Your previous 10U setup was already my grail template and eventual goal - the 42U is even better! Outstanding - sure helps to see it all done right and the details in your build.
My wife offered to buy me a backyard shed after radio’s blaring at 6AM Sat so I’m starting to see how this works now though I might also be living in it if I buy more receivers...

John

N9JIG

Sheriff
My wife is deaf, the best kind for a radio guy! I can have the radios on full volume and it doesn't bother her. She does get torqued off if I leave the dial lights on so I try to turn them off at night if I remember.

Rich,

Your previous 10U setup was already my grail template and eventual goal - the 42U is even better! Outstanding - sure helps to see it all done right and the details in your build.
My wife offered to buy me a backyard shed after radio’s blaring at 6AM Sat so I’m starting to see how this works now though I might also be living in it if I buy more receivers...

John

Status
Not open for further replies.