Sheriff 944 at the Meadows shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kr19

Premium Subscriber
Time for a new radio? I lost count of the number of times someone had to tell him his mic is open. Just had to get that out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Time for a new radio? I lost count of the number of times someone had to tell him his mic is open. Just had to get that out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The IDPS radios are on the replace list in the not too distant future. The XTS/XTLs are going to be replaced with APXs. There are a couple out there already... And Indy Metro is about the only ones that still use the older generation of Motorolas... Hamilton County has APXes and Harris P25 units, Madison County has APXes, Harris, and Kenwoods if I recall correctly. The old XTSes though tough radios, are now endangered species, and keeping them running is getting harder daily.

evfd1625

Both counties I work in are using mostly 51SLes portables, 53SLes mobiles, XTS1500, and VP900's on the P25 system. I'm very confident that if Phase 2 becomes mandatory on SAFE-T that one of the counties will abandon it for everything but a console mutual aid patch most likely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Phase II will not be mandatory at first. It will be available for larger entities that need it so that SAFE-T P25 will not run out of room on the frequencies allocated. Eventually SAFE-T will be fully an Phase II system. One of the main reasons it went P25 is overcrowding on the old system. No room for any more radios as the RID limit was getting hit for SmartZone systems. That and the entire SmartZone/SmartNet architecture was at EOL. But this thread is dealing with IDPS, specifically S1. The Motorola XTS/XTL series is officially at EOL, and is at discontinuation, just like the whole SmartZone/SmartNet type. Spare parts for this series is quickly getting harder to find. Eventually IDPS will have to upgrade to Phase II also just to be able to handle the sheer volume of users much more efficiently.

evfd1625

Last time I was at Eskenazi a week ago all of the IEMS crews were still using XTS5000's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.