Sherman Minton Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

StinkyB

Anyone been listening about the shut down of both directions of the Sherman Minton bridge? Found a structural crack, Mitch Daniels ordered immediate shutdown. Bridge crosses Ohio river between IN and KY Via I-64, Louisville Kentucky Area.

Last edited:

W9NES

Gov.Mitch Dannels office sent out a Press Release around 6:00PM Tonight Fri 9-9-2011.I was able to obtain a copy of the release.

Viper43

Where can I Find it? I go across that bridge 2 times a day.

Guess you won't be crossing it now, for a while at least. lol, good luck with the traffic on the other 3 bridges. And why they only have 3 bridges is beyod me, one goes down and it becomes a parking lot at the other 2..... they could use 5 bridges.

jshaffer50

Premium Subscriber
Guess you won't be crossing it now, for a while at least. lol, good luck with the traffic on the other 3 bridges. And why they only have 3 bridges is beyod me, one goes down and it becomes a parking lot at the other 2..... they could use 5 bridges.

We only have 3 bridges because Political Bureaucrats have spent enough money to build 10 bridges in the past 40 years to develop studies to determine if we need another bridge and now can't afford it. Now that it's approved, they can't decide where or where to put 2 more and there is some group that has filed an injunction to stop it. Now there will be an additional 80,000 vehicles added to the Kennedy and Clark bridge so traffic will be backed up from Louisville to Seymour. Way to go Louisville Government.

Viper43

lol.... yup, figures, but I always thoght that was just asking for trouble only having 3 bridges there. Maybe now some of these brainiacs will realize three bridges just doesn't cut it. It will be a ajor headache for s long as ones down.
I knew my brother-in-law was coming up here next week for his work so I told him to leave an hour earlier and he thanked me for the warning.

spooney

Louisville and Evansville both need bridges. Personally I hope Evansville will get the money needed to build the I-69 bridge over the Ohio first. Sorry Louisville residents but all we have is US 41 twin bridges. Northbound bridge built in 1936 and Southbound built in 1960. If I-69 traffic ends in Evansville there is no way those bridges will handle the additional traffic.

Last edited:

jshaffer50

Premium Subscriber
I just received a text that said it will take 3 weeks JUST to determine how bad the damage is AND THEN the repairs will begin. I work about 50% at home on the VPN, looks like that time will increase substantially. Oh wait -- that means more scanner listening -- yeehaaaa!!!:lol:

StinkyB

Thank goodness that I work second shift, the traffic is only a fraction what it is for the dayshift people. I will still keep an eye on traffic. I can allways use SR135 bridge to Brandenburg.

StinkyB

Bridges

Louisville and Evansville both need bridges. Personally I hope Evansville will get the money needed to build the I-69 bridge over the Ohio first. Sorry Louisville residents but all we have is US 41 twin bridges. Northbound bridge built in 1936 and Southbound built in 1960. If I-69 traffic ends in Evansville there is no way those bridges will handle the additional traffic.

I was in Evansville yesterday for a high school marching band competition, you guys do have some old bridges. FJ Reitz High School is built on a mountain! Never seen anything like it.

Last edited:

spooney

I was in Evansville yesterday for a high school marching band competition, you guys do have some old bridges. FJ Reitz High School is built on a mountain! Never seen anything like it.

Actually built on a big hill overlooking the river and the city skyline. It was originally an under ground coal mine. I graduated there in 1971 and it is our 40th reunion this year. Great memories !!!

Viper43

I'm now hearing that the Shermin Minton Bridge may be closed for 6 months. Arrgghh..

I don't see them doing the job right and being done in 6 months, especially since it's going to take 3 weeks for them just to decide what all is needed to fix it. Then consider Indiana is in charge of repairs. It took 2 years just to redo the bridge over I70 in Mt Comfort.....ad that was supposed to take 6 months!

jshaffer50

Premium Subscriber
I am just really really really glad that I am not in any kind of politics because I think this may be the downfall of a lot of the ones that stalemated on the decisions to build another bridge. And to think of all the money that has been spent for studies since the 70's. Not one of them have realized that this is a main route for commerce from Florida to Chicago and Detroit and I would imagine the trucking firms are going crazy now trying to figure out how to reroute to move their products. And it's not just the local politicians that are that stupid, hence out $14+ Trillion debt. OK, I'll stop that rant right now because I can go on for ever on that one.
Anyway, it's just something that a lot of us will have to live with until it's fixed and I'm just glad that I can work from home on the VPN and in my boxers most of the time. When I do go in, hopefully it will be noon or after when the traffic has died down.

jshaffer50

Premium Subscriber
Thanks nbuuck. This is one time I'm glad I'm not a cop. There are 5 of us on my work team and 5 of the 7 live on the Southern Indiana side. Our office is in the East end of Louisville and we have all decided to work from home tomorrow. It's going to be a nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.