• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

SHOCK: Magistrate Tells Man to Kill Himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
We need more judges like her!

SHOCK: Magistrate Tells Man to Kill Himself
http://www.wxyz.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=ed46b8ca-a75f-44f5-af9a-386d8abea819&rss=785

Do you think the magistrate's words were too harsh?
YES 18% NO 82%

(WXYZ) - Court officials in Novi say a magistrate “could have chosen better words” when she told a man convicted of drunk driving and other offenses that he should commit suicide by jumping to his death or slitting his wrists in a bathtub.

52nd District Court Magistrate Judith Holtz made the shocking statements during a hearing on April 10 as she was sentencing 20-year-old Michael Robert Dickey on a charge of Minor in Possession of alcohol. Dickey had two prior convictions for drunk driving and, according to the court, “had failed to comply with his bond conditions to remain drug and alcohol free.”

According to court transcripts obtained by WXYZ, Dickey admitted to Holtz that he’d “made a lot of mistakes” -- and that’s when she unleashed from the bench.

“I don’t mean to be offensive, but you have two Operating While Intoxicated convictions and then you blow a .223 and you’re still not twenty one?, Holtz said.

“Here is my suggestion to you, Mr. Dickey, climb up on the roof of your house and jump off; either that or get in a bathtub filled with hot water and slash your wrists; then you will be dead; it will be cheaper; it will be faster and in the long run it will be less painful to anybody who cares about you, because that’s where you’re headed now, and the best part of it is you won’t take somebody else with you.

“Who do you think you are? You don’t have the right to go out there and endanger innocent people and you know it. And you have had two convictions for drunk driving and you’re not twenty one and you still drink.”

Holtz is a veteran magistrate who joined the court in 1992 after practicing law for 18 years. She declined to talk with WXYZ about the tirade, but 52nd District Court officials offered an explanation late Monday.

“The words chosen by the Court’s magistrate to convey the seriousness and severity of the defendant’s actions and crime could have been better chosen,” the court said in a statement. “The magistrate was attempting to convey, through an analogy, that the defendant’s actions and past behavior has continually put the community at risk.”

The court’s statement to WXYZ also sought to prove Dickey remains a risk to the community. “It should also be noted that Mr. Dickey, at a probation appointment on May 12, 2008, tested positive for cocaine, marijuana and amphetamines in a urine screen.” Dickey has been sent to a rehab program.

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
In context, all she really said was, "If you're intent on killing yourself, then please use a method that will not kill anyone else in the process."

Amen!

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I am both shocked and appalled. If the kid jumps off the roof of his house he could land on someone! She should have never suggested that - just leave it at the "slit your wrists" line. Of course, if the kid does decide to off himself guess what? Mommy and Daddy could very easily sue - and win. Therefore she should have told him "Kill your parents, THEN yourself." Better. :D

-AZ

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
DaveNF2G said:
In context, all she really said was, "If you're intent on killing yourself, then please use a method that will not kill anyone else in the process."

Amen!
Exactly. Maybe that will be a wake-up call for that idiot, but somehow I doubt it.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Lemme see here now, with alcohol, cocaine, marijuana and amphetamines he'll kill himself before he reaches 21 so consider the magistrate a prophet. Wake up call? Looks more like a go to sleep call to me.

LMAO - what a piece of **** she is! Good judges are very hard to come by, and its obvious she isnt one of them.

Now his family will have it really nice and easy when they sue the Judge, the county, the state, and everyone else connected to the dumb wench when the idiot goes out and kills himself.

Thayne

Premium Subscriber
Why does anyone think he would listen anyway? A little later in life he will no doubt think of it himself ;)

zz0468 said:
It's not. It's just another value-added service brought to you by your justice system. Imagine that... a judge with enough backbone to stand up and speak her mind. I'd pay extra for more of them.
Thats everything thats wrong with judges these days - they speak their minds instead of adjudicate law.

Last edited:

BryanTheRed

Rotor Guy
Premium Subscriber
Go-24 said:
Thats everything thats wrong with judges these days - they speak their minds instead of judicate law.
And people like you are everything thats wrong with this country. F(*%^$ liberals. "Oh god how awful she is to even suggest that." Grow a pair!
Go-24 said:
LMAO - what a piece of **** she is! Good judges are very hard to come by, and its obvious she isnt one of them.

Now his family will have it really nice and easy when they sue the Judge, the county, the state, and everyone else connected to the dumb wench when the idiot goes out and kills himself.
I'd pay to be on that jury......

eastcare said:
And people like you are everything thats wrong with this country. F(*%^$ liberals. "Oh god how awful she is to even suggest that." Grow a pair!

I'd pay to be on that jury......
Why do some people always feel the need to make it personal? GO F yourself pal! Easy to see why some of those so called haters are hating - its not just competition!

Last edited:

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
I thought it was a conservative thing to criticize judges for speaking their minds. Or is it only conservative to criticize them when they say things conservatives don't like?

BryanTheRed

Rotor Guy
Premium Subscriber
Well first and foremost I wasnt making it personal. You are a fool if you think she was being literal, do you really see something wrong with what she was saying? If you going to kill yourself make sure you don't take anyone with you.... No harm no foul. I dont think she literally meant go jump off the roof...... It is called a scare tactic people. She was just telling him the truth, and the truth hurts sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.