Shooting at Orlando Nightclub

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Update. Approx. 20 dead and 42 shot, as of 8:25am press release. I am located in Daytona Bch. And it's all over the news local here as well. Prayers to all who went through this ordeal.

I'm just a CB'er, what do I know???

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I guess the police department was not very aggressive in securing the situation and allowing rescue of victims.

again i think your comment is unfair for sure, to say that with only the transmissions from the scanner is frankly not really cool

You are absolutely correct Jason.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with proficiency, competence, and efficiency. I'm not at all moved by who knows who.

Frankly, I would bet most of us here are far more concerned with someone making such wild and baseless assumptions and accusations against first responders... from simply listening to an internet stream.

A very unfortunate commentary considering there was no first hand knowledge of any of the first responders involved, no direct knowledge of the situation at hand as far as location specific details, numbers of patrons still in and around the scene, hostage situations, logistics, weapons, or explosives involved.

Perhaps you should be "moved" to acquire some facts next time before making such an irresponsible post.

Pretty sad actually.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
i grew up less than a mile from that scene, always a quiet area, shooter has been identified

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
I've been listening to the stream for the past 90 minutes ago. I think they said they had at least 40 trauma alert patients at the Orlando Regional Medical Center, with the FD transporting about half of those and the others "walk"-ins. The hospital is almost immediately north of the scene. Since I heard that statistic, there has been another 5 or so trauma transports, maybe closer to 10 by now. I guess the police department was not very aggressive in securing the situation and allowing rescue of victims.

Oh, it's because he was there. At least, I would assume that someone would make such a statement only if they were present at the scene- not just listening on an internet feed of someone's scanner.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I wonder why the Orlando FD feed archives from 12AM-3AM are missing.

We had a database server outage that prevented all feeds from being archived during that timeframe. No conspiracy, a simply very unfortunately timed outage. I was out at a late dinner and wasn't able to fix until early in the morning.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Regarding the archive outage, I doubt it was targeted at this... the archive outage was in a time period before the incident. It does raise a good point: It's incredibly naive to rely on others to maintain data for you. Anyone can archive these feeds -- all of them if they want. Frankly, the fact that Broadcastify does what it does is amazing. Sure, it could be better and more reliable -- I've posted lengthy recommendations that could be implemented re quality. But Broadcastify sure blows away the next option: Having nothing. Over 10,000 people were able to gain understanding of an important situation. The stream was substantially more informative than any media reports or information spread by agencies through other forms of communication.

Regarding the drones, which I'm not going to bother quoting all of your comments, did you listen to the scanner feed? If so, from what times? The archive is available if you join as a paid member; you can go back and review. Where should one get information that is more reliable? The news media? Hah. Their coverage was a joke. Being on scene? Sure, you might be able to find a safe position and also observe activities. But, even then, a radio scanner is going to be more useful, unless you have a seat at the command post. No doubt, many of you will absorb whatever official dogma is released regarding the incident and the response. No need for critical thinking, merely emotion.

A lot of people died. It was a horrible incident. It goes to show how most people are in condition "white" all the time and have absolutely no way to defend themselves. Environments such as that club are an accident waiting to happen. Something must change in each individual's worldview and actions if we are to be safe in the future. Instead, no doubt, come Monday a hundred million drones will be screaming for more gun "control."

As I just mentioned, a lot of people died. Likely, many of the dead expired (either on scene, in transport, or at the hospital) due to a delay in receiving medical care. It's embarrassing how 1 or 2 active murderers (no matter the mental state or motive) can cause the police to decompensate. The balance of power and lag time in taking action is astounding. People die because of this.

Furthermore, the interop communication between the foot soldiers of different agencies wasn't the best. Command was working together, but the reality on scene often conflicted with orders. Many of the patients were transported by the police in trucks directly to the hospital, which, frankly, was probably best for a lot of those patients.

I won't even get in to locking down three hospitals.

I wish I could say it amazes me -- but it honestly doesn't -- that, instead of engaging in constructive discussion about one's viewpoint, many merely issue attacks regarding the source of information or the fact that someone ventures to have an original thought. I have no doubt that I have more knowledge of what actually happened than most of the people we will hear talking about this for the next week. It doesn't bother me that people disagree with my analysis, but it is a sad tale that the disagreement consists of unproductive replies rather than a thoughtful explanation of a legitimate counter position.

RayAir

He makes a good point about getting raw information from the scene via a scanner feed.

I have mixed opinions on feeds but one thing I like is at least sometimes you can hear what's going on before our despicable media or gov spin doctors get their hands on the story.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully the involved agencies will release their own tapes of the relevant radio channels to help develop a response timeline.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully the involved agencies will release their own tapes of the relevant radio channels to help develop a response timeline.

Well, have you requested them? Has anyone requested them? Don't just sit there and hope. Go do something.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Records | City of Orlando Fire Department

OPD Records Unit | City of Orlando Police Department

2016-00242039 6/12/2016 02:02Unknown trouble I41912 S ORANGE AV
2016-00242039 is the incident number.

Public records letter generator - Student Press Law Center

Email me for more detailed instructions or assistance. It's up to you if you want to know the truth. If want to hear about how we need more gun control and that the first responders did everything great, do nothing except for sit in front of your television.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Well, have you requested them? Has anyone requested them? Don't just sit there and hope. Go do something.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Records | City of Orlando Fire Department

OPD Records Unit | City of Orlando Police Department

2016-00242039 6/12/2016 02:02Unknown trouble I41912 S ORANGE AV
2016-00242039 is the incident number.

Public records letter generator - Student Press Law Center

Email me for more detailed instructions or assistance. It's up to you if you want to know the truth. If want to hear about how we need more gun control and that the first responders did everything great, do nothing except for sit in front of your television.

You make it sound so easy. The request will surely be denied based it being part of an active criminal investigation with federal oversight.

Also, I will add that your Monday morning quarterbacking of the first responders is highly misguided and inappropriate.

You're free to your opinion but unless you were there or have any insightful knowledge on this incident, expect to not receive a warm reception.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Okay I've read a bit more about this incident, certainly I would like to hear more about why they didn't make entry into the building until 5:00 a.m. Evidently they had an initial gunfight (I think I heard 9 officers involved?) outside the club around 2:00 a.m., and then the suspect went back inside, took hostages and presumably was acting crazy. I'm guessing they figured if 9 officers can't take this guy down, it would be a suicide mission to make entry without bearcats and full swat gear. Of course, it obviously takes time for bearcat's to arrive and get positioned. And, I suppose you can't point those long bearcat ram bars just anywhere, because someone might be hiding in the exact spot you want to ram. Plus if they thought he had bombs inside, it gets even more messy.

It would also be interesting to see video and diagrams of this club, how many exit doors they had, whether the exit doors were all functioning and/or accessible, the number of people who escaped early-on and how they escaped etc.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
You make it sound so easy.

I never said it was easy. Heck, the number of links shared should imply it wouldn't be easy. Sure, a lot of agencies try to play open records games, but I can help you win. If you don't even try, never expect to know the truth.

15 or so injured victims were left inside for over 3 hours while the situation was "assessed."

For reasons still unknown, at one point it was thought that the shooter was inside the Orlando Regional Medical Center, prompting a lockdown and preventing the acceptance of patients to the facility for a period of time. The nature of the lockdown is not being reported accurately by the media.

It would also be interesting to see video and diagrams of this club, how many exit doors they had, whether the exit doors were all functioning and/or accessible, the number of people who escaped early-on and how they escaped etc.

I agree, the more information released (and being released promptly), the better. I think the nature of death for each victim should be released. How many were killed immediately? How many died in FD care or at the hospital? How many died due to delay in treatment? What was the on-scene and transport time for the urgent trauma patients?

I can't even imagine the drone mindset that one should just accept everything and fail to consider improvements. If not for your own sake, do it for the sake of others. The complacency around is just amazing. Reference post #32.

Edit: I might add that the hospital is denying the reason for their initial lockdown and claiming they never stopped accepting patients. Perhaps this is true. If it is true, there are substantial and severe communication problems between the hospital, the OFD, and the OPD. I bet, however, that the hospital did start a scare and now they are trying to downplay it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.