Shortwave Maritime Transcripts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dacjedi

First time poster with little to no monitoring experience looking for a little help.

I am a fiction writer working on a book that involves shortwave radio communication. I have found a number of youtube videos of maritime transmissions, but what I could really use is some typed transcripts to use for reference.

Can anyone recommend a source for this kind of transcript? Also, are there any specific or unique transmissions I should look up? I am particularly interested in severe weather warnings and SOS & distress calls.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

-D

VernM

Take your succinct questions to the membership organizations and similar for these groups. As a writer, I can tell you they would welcome an opportunity to put you with closer sources and professionals rather than have you screw up or obviously dramatize your dialogue where it isn't warranted and will only make you look bad, if ever published. Been there, learned that.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
A distress call would contain the work 'MAYDAY' (the voice equivalent of SOS). If you have access to a shortwave receiver that is SSB (Single side band) capable you can listen to normal automated weather broadcasts. A schedule can be found at USCG HF Voice . there are many 'nets' (scheduled over the air meetings) that you could also find (frequency and time) with a little research. Most weather is now done via satellite and/or 'digital' modes (text based rather than voice). One site I found is
SSB Nets & Frequencies

If you don't have access to a short wave radio try one of the 'global tuners' that are on the internet and allow you to tune and listen to them.

majoco

Stirrer
Transcripts of actual messages will be near impossible to obtain unless you know someone who has received such a message and will let you use it. As a marine operator in the 60's we had to sign the "Privacy of Correspondence Act" which more or less states that you aren't allowed to divulge to a third party the contents of a message or even the existence of a message. I remember on one ship a particularly unpleasant relieving Captain was the subject of many private messages from some officers and crew about his attitude - he knew that he was not liked and grilled me about crew who had sent messages and what was in them. I refused of course and took to putting all my paperwork in my safe when not on watch.

Fast1eddie

Was going to send the requestor a PM, but he has disabled that feature. Fix that, and I will be more than happy to direct you to pertinent resources.

mikepdx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.