Shortwave Radio Print Magazines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverrat373

Are there any English language shortwave magazines still being printed? Anywhere in the world? I sorely miss Pop Comm and Monitoring Times! I know there used to be at least one being printed in Great Britain but I think they are gone too.

I don't care for the ones that are subscription based online. I don't care for reading magazines in any electronic form. Please help keep peace in my family as I have been really, really grumpy since the loss of the two great mags that we used to have here in the US!

Boombox

Your best bet would be to check a bookstore like Barnes & Noble or a newsstand in your closest big city. They used to carry MT and PopComm and last time I checked they still carried CQ or 73 or one of the ham mags. I know the UK SW Magazine used to be available at the newsstand in downtown Seattle -- if that newsstand even exists anymore.

Airboss

Silent Key
Are there any English language shortwave magazines still being printed? Anywhere in the world? I sorely miss Pop Comm and Monitoring Times!

I don't care for the ones that are subscription based online. I don't care for reading magazines in any electronic form. Please help keep peace in my family as I have been really, really grumpy since the loss of the two great mags that we used to have here in the US!

As the former editor of Monitoring Times, I can easily answer your question. The days of shortwave/scanner hobby print mags is done. Sorry to say that ship has sailed and it won't be coming back. It just cost way to much money vs number of subscribers to publish any paper magazine in today's radio hobby environment.

The "only" US based magazine left devoted to radio listeners is The Spectrum Monitor, which is, yes, an e-zine using pdf format. The good news is you can print out any or all of that magazine if you must have a paper copy to read. Also many of the former MT writers are on the TSM staff.

If you miss MT you will find TSM has picked up the ball and done a nice job running with it. Ken Reitz is doing a fine job putting out a quality monthly product devoted to radio listening.

If you would like to subscribe you can do so at https://www.thespectrummonitor.com/. Let's hope the radio hobby supports this last remaining monthly radio voice that covers the radio listening hobby by subscribing to TSM. Use it or loss it. ;-)

73 de Larry
TSM Milcom Columnist

riverrat373

Your best bet would be to check a bookstore like Barnes & Noble or a newsstand in your closest big city. They used to carry MT and PopComm and last time I checked they still carried CQ or 73 or one of the ham mags. I know the UK SW Magazine used to be available at the newsstand in downtown Seattle -- if that newsstand even exists anymore.

Monitoring Times, PopComm, CQ and 73 magazine stopped publishing years ago. CQ used to be available as an online subscription but I'm nor sure if they are still available.

riverrat373

As the former editor of Monitoring Times, I can easily answer your question. The days of shortwave/scanner hobby print mags is done. Sorry to say that ship has sailed and it won't be coming back. It just cost way to much money vs number of subscribers to publish any paper magazine in today's radio hobby environment.

The "only" US based magazine left devoted to radio listeners is The Spectrum Monitor, which is, yes, an e-zine using pdf format. The good news is you can print out any or all of that magazine if you must have a paper copy to read. Also many of the former MT writers are on the TSM staff.

If you miss MT you will find TSM has picked up the ball and done a nice job running with it. Ken Reitz is doing a fine job putting out a quality monthly product devoted to radio listening.

If you would like to subscribe you can do so at https://www.thespectrummonitor.com/. Let's hope the radio hobby supports this last remaining monthly radio voice that covers the radio listening hobby by subscribing to TSM. Use it or loss it. ;-)
73 de Larry
TSM Milcom Columnist

I first hooked up with Monitoring Times when it was a free newspaper format publication! It was my favorite and I really miss it! Printing out pdf magazines would be too expensive due to the cost of ink for printers.

Last edited:

fritz73

Premium Subscriber
When Popular Communications went out of print CQ magazine started a section called "CQ Plus" which focused more on shortwave and scanning. I thought it was a great idea but apparently someone else didn't think so because it didn't last long. The only part they seem to have kept from it is a SWL column called "The Listening Post " by Gerry Dexter. The only other radio related magazine in print form I know of is QST, but it's mainly ham stuff. I haven't subscribed yet but Spectrum Monitor appears to be VERY good. National Communications Magazine is another one (online only) that is scanning/CB/two-way radio.

krokus

Premium Subscriber

73 de Larry
TSM Milcom Columnist
That looks like an interesting publication. I only see issues dated back to January, 2014. Is that the premiere issue?

Sent using Tapatalk

Boombox

I was aware of the demise of MT and PopComm, but not aware of the availability of the ham magazines. It seems that magazines are going the way of the dodo. And from the last time I looked at prices ($10 or more for many magazines at the local box store), I can understand why.

a29zuk

That looks like an interesting publication. I only see issues dated back to January, 2014. Is that the premiere issue?

Sent using Tapatalk

That sounds about right.. I'm pretty sure Monitoring Times' last issue was December, 2013.

Jim

WA8ZTZ

Check out The Spectrum Monitor, unfortunately not print but does a great job of covering all things radio.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
All the magazines became more ads than substance obviously to try to compensate for the increase cost of printing and distribution. Then the price of the magazine became excessive for the same reason. This didn't just happen to radio related publications but all magazines.

Oh how I miss waiting for them to arrive in my mailbox, or appear at the stores. All the anticipation of reading what was new and all the how-to articles etc! You could download some and print them if you preferred. But there was no substitute to kicking back in a recliner with a good cup of coffee and thumbing through them! If you were lucky to find an list of local new frequencies to add to your scanner was awesome! I really miss those days! :)

riverrat373

All the magazines became more ads than substance obviously to try to compensate for the increase cost of printing and distribution. Then the price of the magazine became excessive for the same reason. This didn't just happen to radio related publications but all magazines.

Oh how I miss waiting for them to arrive in my mailbox, or appear at the stores. All the anticipation of reading what was new and all the how-to articles etc! You could download some and print them if you preferred. But there was no substitute to kicking back in a recliner with a good cup of coffee and thumbing through them! If you were lucky to find an list of local new frequencies to add to your scanner was awesome! I really miss those days! :)

Boy, do I ever second that!

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Oh those were the days. I was an avid reader (and subscriber) to both PopCom and MT, as well as QST and Scanning USA. Great magazines! Miss those Larry Horn articles.

The Spectrum Force is a great mag, but be careful when subscribing. I think they take it to the end of the year on all subscriptions. IOW, you pay for a year in November you will get only 2 issues, then you have to pay for another full year in Jan. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember reading that elsewhere. I plan on subscribing for a year in Jan 2019 so as to get 12 issues for my subscription. PDF is a PIA but I read everything (Kindle) on an iPad so it's the next best thing.

I sometimes wish 'progress' didn't happen so fast....

Status
Not open for further replies.