Should I be able to listen without a DMR marc id?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delradio

Just bought my first DMR radio. TYTMD380. I programmed in the Memphis repeater. RX 448.98750 and TX 443.98750. Color code 1, repeater slot 1. My DMR id is set to 1234 since i haven't received my ID yet. I have had the radio sitting on my desk for a while and haven't heard a thing.

Should I be able to hear anything without a valid ID?

G7HID

Yes you should.. One thing though, make sure you have not set the RX and TX frequencies as the same, otherwise the radio listens for a simplex signal and ignores the repeater..

Mike

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You need to set something for the talkgroup (labeled "Contact" in the TYT software). If you don't have the talkgroup set to something being used on the repeater, then you'll hear nothing. You should set up a separate "channel" for each talkgroup you want to hear--the frequencies, time slot, and color code will be identical, but the Contact setting will be different.

delradio

Thanks. I have several talk groups set up based on what I saw in the thread below. I set my RX to 448.01250 and TX to 443.01250. Channel 1 set to contact north america, channel 2 set to contact memphis metro. Now I am wondering if have my tx/rx reversed?

According to the DMR-MARC web site the repeater is setup a the following:
DMR-MARC Memphis, Tennesee
W4LET 443.0125 +5 MHz, Color Code 1

Time Slot #1 - Group Call 1 = Worldwide (PTT activated with 5 min inactivity timeout)
Time Slot #1 - Group Call 3 = North America
Time Slot #1 - Group Call 13= Worldwide English
Time Slot #2 - group Call 3147= TN Statewide
Time Slot #2- Group Call 2 = Memphis Metro

http://forums.radioreference.com/tennessee-radio-discussion-forum/317117-memphis-ham-dmr.html

delradio

Ok I tried that. Set the contact name to worldwide (call id 1). I assume there should be a lot of activity on there?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Ok I tried that. Set the contact name to worldwide (call id 1). I assume there should be a lot of activity on there?
Not necessarily! You see, many repeater owners have now set WW #1, WWE #13, and NA #3 to be PTT only, meaning unless someone keys up the repeater on one of those talk groups to connect it, there will be nothing but silence.

PTT enforces a 15 minute timer, so unless someone keeps keying up the repeater before the timer expires, it will be automatically disconnected again.

It's unfortunate, but far too many people were not respecting the concept of a "Calling Talk Group" where they're expected to make a contact, then arrange to move to one of the peer-to-peer talk groups such as UA1, UA2, TAC310, 311, 312, etc. to continue their QSO. :mad:

N4KVE

Are you a ham? Have you applied for your D-Marc ID yet? Usually the ID # comes back in an hour. My friend's ID took 10 minutes to get. What's your call sign? If you need to key up to hear a PTT repeater, you will need an ID.

delradio

Are you a ham? Have you applied for your D-Marc ID yet? Usually the ID # comes back in an hour. My friend's ID took 10 minutes to get. What's your call sign? If you need to key up to hear a PTT repeater, you will need an ID.

Yes I have my FCC license and my D-marc was delivered yesterday. For what its worth I was able to reach out to my local repeater owner and they said the frequencies were correct but the internet link was down at this time. I can't copy any local traffic likely due to my location.

Thanks for the help but it looks like my radio is headed back to amazon.

N4KVE

I was able to reach out to my local repeater owner and they said the frequencies were correct but the internet link was down at this time.
Don't feel bad. This is the weak link with DMR. The radio side is fine, but the internet link is down. In June, while visiting Montreal, I tried to talk to my friends back in Florida, but could not because the internet source in Montreal was down for 3 days. Once it was fixed, I was able to contact my friends. It also happens quite frequently on our Florida state wide 8 repeater system. The repeaters work great, but the internet linking them fails often. The fault is with Verizon's wireless modem.

n5ims

I set my RX to 448.01250 and TX to 443.01250.

According to the DMR-MARC web site the repeater is setup a the following:
DMR-MARC Memphis, Tennesee
W4LET 443.0125 +5 MHz, Color Code 1

Although I believe you've sorted that part out already, I'll say this for others that may read this thread with similar issues in the future.

You do indeed have the frequencies reversed. The standard for ham repeater lists (and others) is to list the receive frequency and the offset (the +5 MHz in your example) to indicate what the transmit frequency would be. RX would then be 443.0125 MHz while TX would be 5 MHz higher or 448.0125 MHz.

Typically on UHF the transmit frequency is 5 MHz higher than the receive frequency. On VHF (well, specifically 2 meters) the offset is 600 KHz, and depending on the portion of the band this offset could be + (higher) or - (lower). While this isn't a guarantee, it is most often correct. Details are here --> Standard 2-Meter Amateur Radio Repeater Input Frequency Offsets <--. Often a typical 2 meter ham radio will have these offsets pre-programmed if you have that option active in your radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.