SignaLink USB Pains!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd5ywa

Good Grief, computer crashes, then you rebuild it and have to put all your software back the way it was, yet me the goofball did not write it down. I have my Signal Link USB tied to my Yaesu FT-897D with CAT cable, and a USB cable to the computer, then the Radio is tied to the computer via CAT Cable, and then tied to my Dipole...
When I turn on my HRD software and then the Digital 780 with it, the server from one program to the other works, and is linked up, then when tell the Digital 780 program to send psk31 CQ, the PTT light on both the radio and the SignalLink light up, the radio is transmitting... yet, I do not believe it is transmitting a modulated signal because I could not hear it with another radio....

What am I missing.

I keyed a CQ with my Telegraph key and all seemed well... yet know one has heard me on psk reporter for my CW test. I will keep trying.

Any suggestions?

K7MEM

Keying in the CW mode isn't going to tell you much, other than the rig works in CW. A CW carrier may not get much notice from psk reporter.

Generally, It sounds like you have everything hooked up correctly. Now you need to have everything in the right mode and your levels adjusted. Normally, PSK is run with the transceiver in USB. Newer rigs, like your, also have a Digi mode. For you, your FT-897D should be in the PSK31-U mode (Menu #038, DIG MODE).

From your description, it sounds like your rig is being put in transmit via a CAT command, rather than a PTT signal. PSK31 is a 100% duty cycle mode so you should be seeing something on your power meter, unless there is no audio getting from your computer to the rig. I keep the audio muted on my computers all the time, so I often forget to take it out of mute when I run PSK31. It usually take a few minutes before it registers in the gray matter. There should be a audio level on your computer and a audio level on the interface. I believe the Digi modes on the FT-897 disables the microphone, so you shouldn't have to worry about the microphone level.

When you are transmitting, do you hear the audio? The Signalink USB has a monitor mode so you can listen to your transmissions.

The manual for the Signalink USB provides instructions on setting up your audio level. The audio level will directly affect your power output. For PSK31 you should keep your power down. Running full power at 100% duty cycle my overheat your rig, on long QSOs. You should not need any more than 25-30 watts. I have used as little a 1 watt and had no problem being heard.

I hope there was something in that that helps.

Martin - K7MEM

kd5ywa

That was it, my audio levels and now I am back on the air. Thank you for your help...
I will write this all down too...so I don't forget the next time!
Also, I will not run PSK31 higher then 25 watts then. I don't like running that hot on the wire anyways.

K7MEM

I'm glad you got it working.

I made my own interface for PSK31 and CIV (Rig Control) for my IC-735 a long time ago. I used it on several different rigs and several different computers. It always worked fine. Running PSK31 use to be so much easier before they made all these new easy to use interfaces. :)

Good luck on PSK31.

Martin - K7MEM

N9PVW

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you have the sound card picked that goes with the signalink

Status
Not open for further replies.