Silent Key - Broadcaster Art Bell 72 - W6OBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankdrebbin

I remember that too where he told the story of "burning the pole" where it is "better" to just push off and hit the ground than slide down and end up with a lot of splinters. IIRC, he fell directly on his butt and that gave him back problems. I believe that is most likely the reason why he was on painkillers. No matter what, it is a great loss to all of us when he passed.
I cut out a pole on my way down and instinctively hugged it. Luckily I wasn't far up but still picked splinters out of my arms for a few days. They just tore my long sleeves off. Couldn't imagine pushing off but either way it's gonna hurt! I remember Art taking days off from live broadcasting because of his horrible back pain.

NowhereMan66

Premium Subscriber
I cut out a pole on my way down and instinctively hugged it. Luckily I wasn't far up but still picked splinters out of my arms for a few days. They just tore my long sleeves off. Couldn't imagine pushing off but either way it's gonna hurt! I remember Art taking days off from live broadcasting because of his horrible back pain.

I can't imagine doing that, the pain must really have been bad for him. I do remember him missing shows on rare occasions because of him being in pain. It's a shame, we really need to find ways to help people handle pain much better than we do now.

W6WBJ

Art Bell was nothing but a pill-popping drug addict

My, you people certainly are easily taken in by B.S. Art Bell never had a bad back. He never fell off a telephone pole, as he claimed (if you don't believe me, ask his friend KI6GU, in whom Art confided the truth and thought it was a big joke). All that "bad back" stuff was just an attempt to justify his drug use. He chain-smoked pot and Marlboros, and on top of that he got pain medications from at least two different doctors because he knew that one doctor would never give him the combination of pills that eventually killed him.

He abandoned two families (a total of 4 children) without paying any support, and when his children later tried to establish contact with him, he refused to talk to them.

He got his license for broadcast radio station KNYE by complete fraud and illegal means.

He continually ran excessive power (5 kw.) in the amateur bands.

His radio show was a complete fraud. He enlisted his ham radio friends to call the show repeatedly. All of the recurring callers to his show were his ham radio buddies, with whom he had previously rehearsed.

Last edited:

W6WBJ

Art's dead, but I'm still on the air every day

Yes, Art did try to run me off 3840, but of course I refused to go. Why would I do anything that loser told me to do? So he got off 75 meters entirely, and blamed it on me. So don't say I've never done anything for ham radio! So Art is dead as a door nail, and I am still in excellent health and on the air every day.

Nothing succeeds like virtue!

I heard that when he died, he fell down on the floor of his ham shack, smashed his face all to hell, broke his glasses, and his poor little child bride found him in a large pool of blood, piss, **** and pus. That's really terrible! I feel really badly every time I think about it.

W6WBJ

I would never be jealous of a liar and fraud. I'm the polar opposite of Art in many ways. I've always been honest, and I tell the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.