Silicon Valley Regional Communications System (SVRCS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealthguy05

I'm hearing some Sunnyvale PSO's in patrol cars that seem to be using a portable instead of a mobile while in their cars. Said portables also lack the MDC 1200 ID. Perhaps Motorola is lending them some units while they wait to have the new system come online. There doesn't seem to be room for two mobiles in their cars, so this would make sense. ALSO, the database should be updated to show it as a Phase II system. All traffic has been TDMA

Last edited:

dofp

Mobile radios

yes, that's probably right. Could be that it is one of the new cars that have the new mobile radio installed, and they can't use it yet. So they are using a new portable programmed with the current system. Sunnyvale doesn't need to borrow any radios at this point. They already have them.

I'm hearing some Sunnyvale PSO's in patrol cars that seem to be using a portable instead of a mobile while in their cars. Said portables also lack the MDC 1200 ID. Perhaps Motorola is lending them some units while they wait to have the new system come online. There doesn't seem to be room for two mobiles in their cars, so this would make sense. ALSO, the database should be updated to show it as a Phase II system. All traffic has been TDMA

dofp

Thank you!

That's great! Thanks Vince - and Happy New Year to you! If you can listen in on Sunnyvale, you'll hear an interesting transition period I'm sure. I'm a Volunteer at Sunnyvale DPS with an old-time connection to the department. Coming back to see such an advanced step forward technologically with such a potentially positive impact for the public is just great. I can't share any specifics on any subject really. But it looks to me that they are really getting this system right down here! Excellent hardware for sure, and a very thorough implementation process as well. I have been documenting parts of the installation and implementation process through photography. We'll just see what all I can share in time.

Thank you Sir, and Happy New Year
the system has a decent signal into Hayward.

vince48

trooperdude

Database Admin
Just ordered my Phase 2 capable scanner.

Hopefully there will be something to listen to soon on this system.

I updated the database to reflect Phase 2 system.

Please submit any confirmed talk groups so I can get them into the system for all to enjoy.

Thanks

Last edited:

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I have been monitoring this system for two full days with Unitrunker and no voice signals. however, on group, 65536 does something every hour in intervals 23:55 and 53:55 past the hour. No service code shows up in Unitrunker. Any guess what this group maybe? .

vince48

dofp

SVRCS

Vince, I defer to somebody else on the group 65536. Keep listening. I know that the 'holidays' don't really end until tomorrow morning. Even then it will be slow catch-up time for all involved probably. I might get some idea early next week on a time-frame for going live. My guess would be - let them have nearly the entire month. Others want to chime in on the technical aspect?

Hello,
I have been monitoring this system for two full days with Unitrunker and no voice signals. however, on group, 65536 does something every hour in intervals 23:55 and 53:55 past the hour. No service code shows up in Unitrunker. Any guess what this group maybe? .

vince48

elias1988

Feed Provider
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

vince48 said:
Hello,

vince48

65536 is the default talkgroup for transmitting FCC callsign/CWID info on Unitrunker.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
elias1988 , Stealthguy05
Thank you. Yes, that would make sense with the 2 time slots on the hour. I did not hear the Morse on my PSR800. I'm also seeing TG 16777208 and 1751 and 65534.

dofp, thank you too for your help. Hopefully they will push the button and come online soon.

vince48

johndrake

From the Sunnyvale City Manager's Blog

New Digital Radio System
Staff from Sunnyvale and Santa Clara conducted a comprehensive test of a new digital radio system being implemented in Santa Clara County. The cities of Sunnyvale and Santa Clara will be the first subscribers going live on the system. Motorola, the system vendor, and the Silicon Valley Regional Interoperability Authority (SVRIA), designed a grid system which identified nearly 800 testing points within the two cities. Teams from each city moved from point to point throughout the area testing the radio system’s coverage for signal clarity and volume, communicating with a third team working at a fixed point in Santa Clara.

The event lasted several days, with teams performing specific transmission and receiving scripts, which were analyzed by users and the vendor alike. The new radio system performed very well, exceeding expectations and putting both cities on track for going live in a few months. This marks the beginning of a new chapter in interoperable communications throughout Santa Clara County, as more cities will be joining the system in years ahead. The system promises to enhance our ability to communicate with neighboring jurisdictions far beyond what we have today.

City Manager's Blog: January 9, 2014 - City Manager's Updates

dofp

It's looking like Spring

I had been thinking to post an update stating it was looking like the project was being pushed back a couple of months. Maybe I can get a more firm date for going live.

New Digital Radio System
Staff from Sunnyvale and Santa Clara conducted a comprehensive test of a new digital radio system being implemented in Santa Clara County. The cities of Sunnyvale and Santa Clara will be the first subscribers going live on the system. Motorola, the system vendor, and the Silicon Valley Regional Interoperability Authority (SVRIA), designed a grid system which identified nearly 800 testing points within the two cities. Teams from each city moved from point to point throughout the area testing the radio system’s coverage for signal clarity and volume, communicating with a third team working at a fixed point in Santa Clara.

The event lasted several days, with teams performing specific transmission and receiving scripts, which were analyzed by users and the vendor alike. The new radio system performed very well, exceeding expectations and putting both cities on track for going live in a few months. This marks the beginning of a new chapter in interoperable communications throughout Santa Clara County, as more cities will be joining the system in years ahead. The system promises to enhance our ability to communicate with neighboring jurisdictions far beyond what we have today.

dofp

Sunnyvale article

I contribute photographs to the City and the DPS. See my link to a cut-out from the latest Dept. of Public Safety e-newsletter "Beyond The Badge". Sunnyvale DPS Digital Radio System - Part of the SVRCS | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

One can subscribe to this newsletter on the main DPS website. Public Safety

I took the photo in the upper left at Santa Clara County Comm, and I doctored the photo of the technician way up on the Sunnyvale tower (taken by a City employee.)

Yep - definitely not looking ready for January turn-on. We're looking at a couple of months.

David

New Digital Radio System

jland138

That's kind of a surprise. The upcoming Stage III is supposed to be 3 sites building out the west cell. I heard they were Oak Knoll near Los Gatos / Monte Sereno, the San Jose corporation yard at Lawrence and Moorpark (Doyle) and the Palo Alto Civic Center on top of city hall.

But maybe you are right. The reason given for selecting Palo Alto in Stage III was that "Santa Clara County Fire was interested in using SVRCS for tactical operations". Stanford's fire contract with Palo Alto is up for renewal, so maybe they plan on bidding.

Last edited:

Stealthguy05

I believe that thus far the cities on for SVRCS are Sunnyvale, Santa Clara and Los Gatos. I was also under the impression that fire agencies would be using SVRCS for InterOp channels. San Jose Fire has been testing on the new system this past week.

dofp

it's probably all a matter of when, at least for the UHF T-Band agencies. San Jose is definitely involved to some degree - that is clearly obvious.

Stealthguy05

Campbell, Los Gatos, Los Altos, Milpitas, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale and VTA are T-band. I know a VTA Dispatcher that says there are ramblings about joining SVRCS but he has no solid info.

dofp

Thanks Stealth. Now remember all that there's more than voice transmission involved here in these new technologies. Switching to new digital systems is a big investment in the future; in terms of a spectrum of additional information technologies. Wow, I sound like I work in Marketing. No I don't. ;) High Speed wireless networking, video, data, new tools we don't know of. Etc. Palo Alto sounds terrible on my scanner, I don't know about others. Mountain View seems underpowered. Santa Clara's 800mhz analog trunking system sounds great but doesn't have a decent range either - and they can't talk to anybody else except for on BAYMACS probably. There really are serious problems with the status quo for Law Enforcement especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.