Simi Valley Police and encryption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opfor2

So Simi Valley Police Department is on a P25 digital system and they use encryption which sounds a lot like old fashion "voice inversion." So my question is what type of encryption are they using?

allend

Premium Subscriber
So Simi Valley Police Department is on a P25 digital system and they use encryption which sounds a lot like old fashion "voice inversion." So my question is what type of encryption are they using?

Probably using ADP. But I hardly every hear encryption on Simi Valley PD Dispatch. Sometimes on the mobile side

Opfor2

Probably using ADP. But I hardly every hear encryption on Simi Valley PD Dispatch. Sometimes on the mobile side

It's hit or miss seems like dispatch is running "Code Edward" more often for some strange reason and a lot of the field units run it to. It's always funny to hear LAPD air units trying to talk to Simi PD but they cant hear them for their radios don't have the decryption keys loaded.

Found a little information on ADP:

Advanced Digital Privacy (ADP)​
Advanced Digital Privacy (ADP) is a new enhancement to Astro portable and​
mobile radios. I have not been able to review very much documentation regarding this​
algorithm, other than the fact that it uses a public domain 40-bit encryption algorithm​
known as RC4 which was released by RSA (the same group who developed PGP).​
ADP is unique when compared to the other secure modules that have been discussed.​
ADP is available as a firmware (DSP) based flash option or as hardware (UCM based)​
option. When a radio is equipped with ADP as a flash option, the encryption key is​
loaded via Customer Programming Software (CPS). Once keys are entered into the​
CPS, they are not visible when the codeplug is read for review – ensuring that if a radio is lost or stolen, the encryption key cannot be decoded just by a review of the radio codeplug. When hardware based, it is loaded with a KVL3000+ keyloader. It should be noted that ADP is only compatible with conventional (non-trunked) P25 IMBE digital voice – it cannot encrypt analog FM voice. While relatively weak when compared to DES or AES, ADP does offer significant security benefits for those users needing a less secure and/or less expensive alternative for encryption.​

Status
Not open for further replies.