• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Simple but effective DIY civil/mil airband antenna the "double bazooka"

Should have included this above... only mistake I've made all year! (You believe that, right?)

The other "secret" is to make the/an antenna as resonant as is practical (not as possible, but practical). Resonance equates to efficiency (sort of), and that efficiency is desirable in most cases (not all, but in most cases). There always seems to be a "gotcha" with this stuff ain't there?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The drain hole is a good idea, but would suggest smaller holes, or a small patch of fiberglass window screen applied over the hole, to prevent insects from entering the antenna housing.

Sent using Tapatalk

The "bazooka" (single or bouble) antenna has been around for over 50 - 60 years. It works, but don't hold your breath for 'miracles'. They also have a few draw-backs depending on design frequency, as they get heavy and sort of expensive. Even at VHF/UHF frequencies you don't see very many of them. Ever wonder wmy? I got a hole out of a donut I'm willing to bet that it has to do with efficiency. Wanna bet?

I see plenty of commercial airband VHF and UHF folded dipoles, they are heavier, ...nothing fantastic and they have holes in the middle as well.
Oh and they are more expensive, willing to bet the hole and the weight has something to do with maintenance, the xtra expense well thats for the weight of the hole or "good ol nickel and diming" the client.

In the US I see mostly ground planes, Discones, coaxial dipoles and fat dipoles inside radomes for base station aviation use but I can't say I seen a single folded dipole for the same. There is no reason you can't but apparently its just not popular here.

I see plenty of commercial airband VHF and UHF folded dipoles, they are heavier, ...nothing fantastic and they have holes in the middle as well.
Oh and they are more expensive, willing to bet the hole and the weight has something to do with maintenance, the xtra expense well thats for the weight of the hole or "good ol nickel and diming" the client.