Simple question about NXDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I asked a question earlier on here and I am not getting an answer. Since Ky in plagued with NXDN signals popping up everywhere, I want to future proof my next scanner purchase.

I have a rather simple question:

Does an P25 scanner stop on an NXDN signal while scanning?

nd5y

It depends on what scanner you have. The BCD396T/996T and older Unidens will because you can't set them to digital only. To receive P25 you have to set it to CSQ and it will stop on any signal that opens the squelch regardless of mode. As fas as I know the XTs can be set to digital only and will only unsquelch on a valid P25 signal. I have never used a RS/GRE digital scanner so I don't know how they work.

Last edited:

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
It depends on what scanner you have. The BCD396T and 996T will because you can't set them to digital only. To receive P25 you have to set it to CSQ and it will stop on any signal that opens the squelch regardless of mode. As fas as I know the XTs can be set to digital only and will only unsquelch on a valid P25 signal.

Thank you for the reply.

That is what I was looking for! I was looking at the PSR-800 for the built in disc. out and was going to run it through DSD. I didn't want to buy a scanner and have to leave it sit on one station to decode.

Since I will be able to decode on the fly and scan conventional and digital channels at the same time and have the decoder with the ability to actually scan, it's a win!

Thanks again very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.