• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Simplex talk back devices, repeater or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirayge

Decatur, IL but my heart is from Bugtussle
I have seen posts where people claimed simplex parrot back devices do not meet the FCC definition of a repeater, only a simplex device. Therefore, whether they are tone controlled or not, an operator is required to be present. So, if they are not repeaters, wouldn't they be legal on FRS? For example if a large group were caravaning down the highway and only used legal power, as not everyone had a licence for GMRS, could a middle vehicle switch to talk back mode to allow coms between the whole group? It would be the same as somebody relaying messages, only without the distraction or aggravation.

Last edited:

Otis413

But these simplex "repeaters" ARE distracting and aggravating, almost by definition.

If you were to set your repeater (parrot) radio as (Just for example) ch 22, Rx;PL5 & Tx:pL8, then set up your radios as ch22, Tx;PL5 and Rx:pL8, You could use the repeater without hearing yourself repeated (just a pause). Then add a talkaround ch as ch22, Tx & Rx PL8, you could talk without the repeater and still hear someone calling on the repeater.

Just thinkin' Ham or GMRS.

KD8VBV

yea, I'm bored...

Last edited:

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

The rules do not allow an FRS radio to be connected to any device that is not approved by the FCC. The FCC does not approve of any of these devices for use in the FRS. So they're illegal to use.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
If you were to set your repeater (parrot) radio as (Just for example) ch 22, Rx;PL5 & Tx:pL8, then set up your radios as ch22, Tx;PL5 and Rx:pL8, You could use the repeater without hearing yourself repeated (just a pause). Then add a talkaround ch as ch22, Tx & Rx PL8, you could talk without the repeater and still hear someone calling on the repeater.

Just thinkin' Ham or GMRS.

KD8VBV

yea, I'm bored...
No repeaters allowed in the FRS, either. But your plan would be handy in GMRS or ham useage, provided everyone is properly licensed.

Otis413

That's why I said "Ham or GMRS"

Good rule of thumb for FRS; if it not in the bubblepack, it's not allowed. :p

Otis, KD8VBV

mirayge

Decatur, IL but my heart is from Bugtussle
I already figured this out on my own through reading the FCC rules for FRS, and a few postings on other boards about kids' repeaters being shut down.
§ 95.194
(FRS Rule 4) FRS units.
(a) You may only use an FCC
certified FRS unit. (You can identify
an FCC certified FRS unit by the label
placed on it by the manufacturer.)
(b) You must not make, or have
made, any internal modification to an
FRS unit. Any internal modification
cancels the FCC certification and
voids your authority to operate the
unit in the FRS.
(c) You may not attach any antenna,
power amplifier, or other apparatus
to an FRS unit that has not been FCC
certified as part of that FRS unit.
There are no exceptions to this rule
and attaching any such apparatus to
a FRS unit cancels the FCC
certification and voids everyone's
authority to operate the unit in the
FRS.
(d) FRS units are prohibited from
transmitting data in store-and-
forward packet operation mode.
[61 FR 28768, June 6, 1996, as
amended at 68 FR 9901, Mar. 3,
2003]

Although part d only applies to data, part c is very clear and sort of terse. I even wondered about headsets that weren't tested with the unit until I read that speaker mics fall under a sort of blanket coverage. Basically, anything that can extend range is forbidden. They almost want the units physicaly in your hand or attached to your body. This calls into question Bluetooth enabled adapters such as for motorcycle communications. Unless it is one of the newer units with Bluetooth built in, what you attach may void your licence by rule. I wondered why there were so many European PMR adapters, and a relative few here mostly dedicated to bussiness radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.