Simulcast G Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know of any other simulcast G sites other than the one near downtown Peoria?

I know it's a simulcast system but I have never been able to identify any other sites.

That last time I asked that a few years back people seemed uncomfortable with me asking (unknown why), but I will ask again anyway.

KB7MIB

Besides the main Peoria police station at 83rd and Cinnabar, I know there's one at the Greenway water treatment plant on Greenway Rd, at about 71st Ave. I believe there's one at the Pinnacle Peak Public Safety Substation/Fire Station 195. There's one down in Avondale or Goodyear. And up at Lake Pleasant.

There is another thread here that has links to all of the simulcast sites: A, B, C, F, G, H, and J.

John
Peoria

Phoenix805

It's hard to say IMHO (as they say). I've done quite a bit of digging and found quite a bit of conflicting/misleading information. I think there are 7 sites:

16194 Iron Age Drive (Quintero Golf Course)
41835 N. Castle Hot Springs Rd. (S side of Lake Pleasant)
9510 (possibly 9490?) W. Lone Mountain Parkway (Lake Pleasant Pkwy & Westwing Pkwy – Water tank)
7300 W Greenway Rd (water plant)
8343 W Monroe St (City of Peoria complex)
11328 W Buckeye, Avondale
4250 W Sweetwater (ASU West)

KB7MIB

The Quintero site is a stand-alone IR site, and not part of Simulcast G.
I drove the roads around the Quintero neighborhood one day several months back. It's an affiliation-only site, meaning a subscriber radio has to affiliate with the site in order to get anything off of it.

John
Peoria

Phoenix805

You are right John, Quintero is an IR site. But the link you provided is part of my confusion. It also show Luke AFB which I believe is an IR site also, but the licensing says both sites are part of the G simulcast system. The website also does not show ASU West, and I know they have G because I've sat near the tower and listened to them without an antenna! I've found several web sites with good information, but most of it is inconclusive or confusing.

KB7MIB

Look at the frequencies under each of the two callsigns. Under the first callsign, the Quintero site, on Iron Age Dr., has a different set of frequencies from the Simulcast G frequencies at the other sites.
Right now, at 4am, the FCC database is down for maintenance, so I can't look at the frequencies for the second callsign in the link above.

John
Peoria

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
You are right John, Quintero is an IR site. But the link you provided is part of my confusion. It also show Luke AFB which I believe is an IR site also, but the licensing says both sites are part of the G simulcast system. The website also does not show ASU West, and I know they have G because I've sat near the tower and listened to them without an antenna! I've found several web sites with good information, but most of it is inconclusive or confusing.

You are correct on that ASU West site, I've verified that myself. However it's of such incredibly low power, that I can't get this simulcast at 47th avenue and Union Hills inside my home...it starts coming in a bit once I walk out of the front door. Simulcast systems....grrrr....

The good thing is that the new Unidens work so well for me on Simulcast, I will likely make the (very painful) purchase of a 536HP, and put a ground plane antenna right above the roof, which I suspect will allow simulcast g to come in perfectly....hopefully the improvements in simulcast reception I'm seeing on my 436 translate over to the 536HP with outdoor antenna...but there's only one way to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.