Simulcast systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
What are the known Simulcast Systems in NC? If you look at the list of trunked systems in NC that is not a listed type...how do you distinguish?

troymail

Silent Key
P25 systems around Charlotte UASI sites, Greensboro/Guilford... Not sure of the background for your question but lots of older analog systems (like Wake) are analog but those are usually not all that hard to receive.

It can be hard to tell sometimes which systems are simulcast and which are not. Many times, you can "drill down into" a system and the site name(s) listed with the frequencies might contain the word simulcast (but not always). If the license shows more than one transmitter site using the same frequencies, it's probably simulcast.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Asheville, Buncombe, a couple of VIPER sites, UASCI...

And the easiest way to determine simulcast besides the frequency listing/sites... Look at the Emissions Designations...
5K76G1E P25 CQPSK voice (typically used for simulcast systems – this is NOT P25 Phase II)

8K70D1W P25 Linear Simulcast Modulation ASTRO (9.6 kbps in 12.5 kHz channelspace)
9K70F1D P25 Linear Simulcast Modulation “WCQPSK” data (per Harris MASTR-V literature)
9K70F1E P25 Linear Simulcast Modulation “WCQPSK” voice (per Harris MASTR-V literature)

10K0F1D * Motorola Widepulse ASTRO simulcast data
10K0F1D * Motorola Widepulse ASTRO simulcast control channel
10K0F1E * Motorola Widepulse ASTRO simulcast voice

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Not sure of the background for your question but lots of older analog systems (like Wake) are analog but those are usually not all that hard to receive.

It can be hard to tell sometimes which systems are simulcast

Just to prevent any confusion: the Wake System is a mixed analog/digital voice system and not an analog only voice system as indicated above.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Correct, though EDACS simulcasts were notoriously tricky. It is primarily the P25 LSM systems that have plagued scanners for so very long. And in a Wide Area TRS, that uses multiple Simulcast sites, it can get very crazy indeed. Especially if your in the overlapping areas of them! Which is part of the problem with systems like the Buncombe County TRS, and the Monroe County, NY TRS....

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
No receiver is perfect.
Just a reminder.

and some behave better than others in different situations. There is one area between two of our sites that has some delay spread issues. It was a known issue since go live.

The APX8000s seem to deal with it much worse than the APX7000s in the same areas in side by side comparisons. The 8Ks will produce garbled audio with a DAQ of like 1.5 whereas the 7000s are around a 3.2

All radios properly PM'ed and tune up just fine on the R8000-B.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
and some behave better than others in different situations. There is one area between two of our sites that has some delay spread issues. It was a known issue since go live.

Yep. We have an area like that on our 4 site Simulcast system.

The APX8000s seem to deal with it much worse than the APX7000s in the same areas in side by side comparisons. The 8Ks will produce garbled audio with a DAQ of like 1.5 whereas the 7000s are around a 3.2

Glad to know I am not the only one to notice that on my APX8K XE. We migrated from APX 7Ks about a year or so ago and have noticed the 7Ks do a tad bit better overall. Still love the wide VHF/UHF/700/800 coverage but would like to have the sensitivity/selectivity of the 7K back.

All radios properly PM'ed and tune up just fine on the R8000-B.

Yep. We have 2 3920B's we use to keep our fleet of XTS/XTL/APX's tuned up.
Marshall KE4ZNR

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Glad to know I am not the only one to notice that on my APX8K XE. We migrated from APX 7Ks about a year or so ago and have noticed the 7Ks do a tad bit better overall. Still love the wide VHF/UHF/700/800 coverage but would like to have the sensitivity/selectivity of the 7K back.

Marshall, there is an issue with the 8KXEs. We had all of ours replaced. In late 2016, I opened a case with engineering and product quality. Used the "tool" and grabbed raw data and sent it to them.

Two months later, the 8KXE's in our order were all replaced by Plantation. All of them are still "AN" versions but I noticed different TANAPAs on the stickers inside the battery area. They also had R16.52 or some weird firmware. All are on 17 now.

Just thought I'd mention that. The first 8KXE's we had sounded AWFUL RX wise on any simulcast system, not just ours (we have 15 RFSS in 1 zone!)

KM4WLV

What are the known Simulcast Systems in NC? If you look at the list of trunked systems in NC that is not a listed type...how do you distinguish?

Our P25 Phase 1 system in Salisbury (Rowan County) is. It is co-owned by the City of Salisbury & Rowan County. It consists of four tower sites. We have amazing coverage with just a portable inside and outside the county.

One way to tell if a system is a simulcast system versus other types is by looking in the database at the page for that system. If you only see 1 site then that indicates it's likely a simulcast system and recycles frequencies at each site, but could also indicate a single site though they aren't as many of those left these days. Look at the database page for our system. Then take VIPER, if you look at the database page for that system you'll notice all the various sites, etc across the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.