Ski Hill - Cross band Repeater Set Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Just so the intent is clear. I sketched something up in MS Paint.
In this example, the cross band repeater is line of site with both HT's
Also, both HT's may also be line of site from each other at any given moment.

It may help if your diagram had included all the frequencies you are using on the HTs and Mobile. Plus tones.
I assume you are using simplex on the mobile and not going through a repeater.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The portable radios must be able to perform half duplex receive TX UHF and RX VHF. Many cannot do this without a lot of fiddling. If the radio is a dual V and U receiver, you can turn the volume down on the UHF side, otherwise you will get noisy audio on the direct RX.

As simple as this sounds, it isnt if the portables are not designed for it.

The ICOM W32A is a radio that has dual receive and is often used for crossband LEO satellite communications..

If you have Baofangles, who knows...

RFI-EMI-GUY

with those TERA radios, you might have to scan channel 1 and 2 and have TX in 1 as a priority and put a dummy RX channel in the UHF side. Very fiddly...

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
robertmac's question ("I assume you are using simplex on the mobile and not going through a repeater.") brought to mind my TH-9800 and when I used it as a crossband repeater. Actually, it does not work the same way as you might assume and set up with a "normal" repeater. It is really a "simplex" crossband repeater in that with the HTs or mobiles you transmit / receive on the same frequency... no offset or crossband / dual-band operation should take place on the HTs. Everything the TH-9800 hears on 146.415 will be repeated simultaneously to 446.150... and vice versa. The HTs should operate in simplex mode, transmitting & receiving on the same VHF (or UHF) frequency. So set the HTs that are farthest from the TH-9800 to Tx AND Rx on 146.415 (for example) and the other that is in the opposite direction / distance from the TH-9800 to Tx/Rx on 446.150. Per the manual they refer to the two radios in the TH-9800 as the "Left" and "Right" radios. Whenever the "Left" radio receives a signal it keys up the "Right" radio on whatever frequency the Right radio is set to transmit on. And vice-versa: once the carrier drops on the Left radio the Right radio Tx drops also. When the Right radio receives a signal, it keys up the Left radio Tx... on the same frequency which the Left radio was set to Rx on.

Last edited:

Ve2nlm

robertmac's question ("I assume you are using simplex on the mobile and not going through a repeater.") brought to mind my TH-9800 and when I used it as a crossband repeater. Actually, it does not work the same way as you might assume and set up with a "normal" repeater. It is really a "simplex" crossband repeater in that with the HTs or mobiles you transmit / receive on the same frequency... no offset or crossband / dual-band operation should take place on the HTs. Everything the TH-9800 hears on 146.415 will be repeated simultaneously to 446.150... and vice versa. The HTs should operate in simplex mode, transmitting & receiving on the same VHF (or UHF) frequency. So set the HTs that are farthest from the TH-9800 to Tx AND Rx on 146.415 (for example) and the other that is in the opposite direction / distance from the TH-9800 to Tx/Rx on 446.150. Per the manual they refer to the two radios in the TH-9800 as the "Left" and "Right" radios. Whenever the "Left" radio receives a signal it keys up the "Right" radio on whatever frequency the Right radio is set to transmit on. And vice-versa: once the carrier drops on the Left radio the Right radio Tx drops also. When the Right radio receives a signal, it keys up the Left radio Tx... on the same frequency which the Left radio was set to Rx on.

1- YEs, I am NOT going through a repeater.
2- The TERA radio's are set to TX on UHF and RX on VHF. The same way you set up a repeater on your HT with an offset. When I key up the HT, it TX on UHF and when I release the PTT it listens for VHF.
3 -The TERA radios allow you to a different band for the TX and RX for a specific channel. No need to set an offset or anything or have scanning.

I have updated the diagram with the frequencies. All units have CTCS set 94.8 khz for RX and TX.

The original intent of doing this set up was to take advantage of the longer VHF antenna and power of the Mobile rig to hit the HT's that are far away at the top of the mountain when someone is at the bottom near the Mobile cross band repeater.

I changed the NFM frequencies on the HTs to match the FM on the Cross band repeater last night. Maybe this will solve the problem of the distorsion i was hearing and lack of range. ( could not be more than 500 yards away)

I also confirmed that my cross band mobile radio heard my HT TX on UHF.
I also confirmed that my HT's heard my cross band repeater TX on VHF.
I also confirmed that my cross band repeater takes the UHF signal and repeats it on VHF.

All this was done while being right next to all the units. I have yet to test this again when all units are 200 yards from each other...

Attachments

• crossband repeater setup.png
    crossband repeater setup.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 53
Status
Not open for further replies.