Skyline Drive Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDP2012

...I do a lot of search and rescue work in SNP...

I second BigLebowski's statement.

In which SAR Group are you a member? If you operate in SNP and in particular Skyline Drive, then your group is probably a member of ASRC, and might have mutual aid agreements with the SNP. Most groups are particular about who has radios and who does not, because they have to work across many jurisdictions depending on where the incident takes them, and they have to be accountable to other agencies under mutual aid agreements. If you haven't already done so, you should check with the leader of your SAR group to see if you can get issued an official SAR Team radio. Most agencies will not allow, nor provide the information for, someone to have a personally-owned radio with transmit-option enabled, especially on frequencies for which that agency is not licensed; they might be willing to issue an official radio to that person (just not share the programming knowledge).

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Summer is coming. I would hope to finally map the P-25 frequency plans for the Parkway and Shenandoah this year.

For starters, has anyone found the input frequency for the new Parkway repeaters yet ???

Off-topic: Has anyone ever found the current frequencies for Appomattox National Battlefield?

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Summer is coming. I would hope to finally map the P-25 frequency plans for the Parkway and Shenandoah this year.

For starters, has anyone found the input frequency for the new Parkway repeaters yet ???

Off-topic: Has anyone ever found the current frequencies for Appomattox National Battlefield?

The parkway has been mapped out for a while now and is in the database for NC and VA. Unfortunately someone has gone in and monkeyed around with some of the stuff on the NC side. The only new parkway site I am aware of is Bear Den Mtn however I was on the north end of the parkway on Saturday and all over Augusta and Rockbridge Sunday and heard zero traffic on the reported frequency/tone while there was heavy traffic on the Rocky site.

As for our SAR member here... I suggest you program in 155.160... That is the national SAR frequency and the rangers have access to it as "NAT SAR" in their radios. That or the nationwide name of "VSAR16".

hill

Premium Subscriber
With the PRO-96 without be able to use NACs just enter the frequency and will received just fine,as NACs are required just to receive it.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
With the PRO-96 without be able to use NACs just enter the frequency and will received just fine,as NACs are required just to receive it.

I usually load NAC's into my radios when known. Like CTCSS, they help to keep from hearing stuff from other systems. Running the mountain tops, the volume of traffic heard, especially unwanted radio traffic can be overwhelming at times.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber

I've tried and tried at Appomattox. All I've ever actually seen was a high band Motorola walkie in the McLean house sitting on a window sill unattended. Circumstances unfortunately didn't permit a really close look.

Same experience with Lee's birthplace in Westmoreland. Something like 5 freqs licensed but only 2 radios seen the whole tour. Thought I picked up some DMR, but it's not licensed and the place is right across the river from MD.

We may have to look at the event calendars for some of these places if we ever hope to catch traffic. Sadly, I passed Appomattox on April 9th, on my way out to Roanoke but didn't stop. Probably a big mistake. The date didn't hit me until I was already long gone.

Further off-topic, the Washington/Jefferson National Forests are now digital. Pretty sure I caught NAC 68F on 171.525 and and 5B6 on 171.575.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

73/Allen (N4JRI)

kb4cvn

Silent Key
<snip>
Further off-topic, the Washington/Jefferson National Forests are now digital. Pretty sure I caught NAC 68F on 171.525 and and 5B6 on 171.575.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

I monitor W/J NF's most of the time along with the Parkway. (I live so close, I can see cars driving on the Parkway from my back door!)

Not 100% P-25 yet. Still hearing a roughly 50/50 mix of digital and analog traffic.

My humble 2¢ worth....

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
I monitor W/J NF's most of the time along with the Parkway. (I live so close, I can see cars driving on the Parkway from my back door!)

Not 100% P-25 yet. Still hearing a roughly 50/50 mix of digital and analog traffic.

My humble 2¢ worth....

I think one of them had a 167.9 PL. Have you picked up any other PL or DPL on those?

73/Allen (N4JRI)

ecps92

in reply to the Off Topic....

171.5250 $68F - North Repeaters
171.5750 $5B6 - South Repeaters

I've tried and tried at Appomattox. All I've ever actually seen was a high band Motorola walkie in the McLean house sitting on a window sill unattended. Circumstances unfortunately didn't permit a really close look.

Same experience with Lee's birthplace in Westmoreland. Something like 5 freqs licensed but only 2 radios seen the whole tour. Thought I picked up some DMR, but it's not licensed and the place is right across the river from MD.

We may have to look at the event calendars for some of these places if we ever hope to catch traffic. Sadly, I passed Appomattox on April 9th, on my way out to Roanoke but didn't stop. Probably a big mistake. The date didn't hit me until I was already long gone.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.