• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SL7550 on ham radio

W2PSK

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone here programmed a Motorola SL7550 for DMR on ham radio? I have some questions. For example, where do you put your DMR ID in the CPS? How do you set up talkgroups? If anyone knows of a full-on guide that explains step by step, that would be awesome.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Yes. Its the exact same as any other Mototrbo DMR radio. There are plenty of youtube videos on how to program these.

W2PSK

Premium Subscriber
I guess I'm not using the right search terms. All I find is videos that briefly talk about the features, but no in-depth configuration videos. Personally, I prefer a written out guide, but if I have to, I'll follow a youtube video.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
This one is pretty long but seems to have enough detail:

Of the top of my head I can't remember if there was a written out version when I started.

N4KVE

I have 3 SL’s. Great radio if you’re a mile from the repeater. It’s 2 watts, with an antenna the size of my thumbnail. Compared to my XPR7550, it’s night, & day. Your ID # goes on the screen at the top of the tree. One of the first things you can enter. Remember, this radio is for a hotel manager to put in his suit pocket where there’s a repeater on the roof of the hotel. So don’t expect much transmit range. People use them to get into their hot spots 6 feet away. They’re great for that.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The PTT buttons on these are horribly uncomfortable for ham "Gas bagging". As was mentioned, they are designed for hotel security or managers who make 20-30 second long transmissions, and are designed not to be accidentally actuated when in their pockets along with their cigarettes, condoms, etc.

If you can stand a hard to keep pressed PTT, they are fine but remember no analog if you want to use one of the many dead silent FM repeaters and with only 2 watts, you aren't going to light up much with it's choad antenna either.

W2PSK

Premium Subscriber
I have 3 SL’s. Great radio if you’re a mile from the repeater. It’s 2 watts, with an antenna the size of my thumbnail. Compared to my XPR7550, it’s night, & day. Your ID # goes on the screen at the top of the tree. One of the first things you can enter. Remember, this radio is for a hotel manager to put in his suit pocket where there’s a repeater on the roof of the hotel. So don’t expect much transmit range. People use them to get into their hot spots 6 feet away. They’re great for that.
I bought it pretty cheaply just to try it out. I have a Radioddity GD-88 HT and an Alinco DR-MD500 for DMR too. I just thought it was a neat radio. I don't expect a lot out of it.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I bought it pretty cheaply just to try it out. I have a Radioddity GD-88 HT and an Alinco DR-MD500 for DMR too. I just thought it was a neat radio. I don't expect a lot out of it.
The real benefit of it over your other radios is the RX audio leveling. Beyond that, at the right price, they are a pretty cool toy, but recently their pricing exceeds $200.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have two (and two DMR ID’s) and they are great for close simplex work due to their small size, texting and vibrate features. I do not have a problem with reaching local repeaters, but they’re 3k+ feet above. The larger 2300 mAh battery is preferred, but you’ll need the larger cover.

Two watts and “choad” antenna = Know your limitations.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I concur with the rest don't expect a lot of range out of it If you aren't totally within line of sight. Nothing wrong with the device itself its very small and compact but has that limitation it just doesn't have an antenna for that kind of thing. Even on the hill repeater, inside my house it had some hiccups. I believe it was mostly referred to as "on-site" type of radio. I had one and sold it in place of my XPR7550e. Its cool for close range operations, or a hotspot,