Slew of accidents & slide-off's in Jefferson & Clear Creek Counties

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Within the last hour I've been hearing a slew of reports about accidents and vehicle slide-off's on I-70 in the Jeffco & Clear Creek County areas (240-259 exits). Mountain TAC just reported a tanker truck sliding off I-70 in Clear Creek County. Reports have been coming from CSP 1-Adam and 1-Edward Troops, Mountain TAC (Clear Creek Units), CDOT units, and Highlands Fire Units on Jeffco Fire NW (among others).

Also on CSP dispatch they just announced that a "Code 18" has been issued for I-70 from 240-257 (can someone verify what "code 18" means?) Sounds like it will be an interesting night...

-Nate

Last edited:

dw2872

Slew of accidents & slide-off's in Jefferson & Clear Creek Counties

Code-18 is part of Colorado chain laws.

From CDOT:

There are two levels of the chain law:

Level 1, Code 17 – Single drive axle, combination commercial vehicles must chain up all four drive tires. Cables are not allowed in this instance. All other commercial vehicles must have either snow tires or chains to proceed.

Level 2, Code 18 – Chains are required for all commercial vehicles. Again, all four tires of single-drive tractors must be chained. For dual-drive axle tractors, you're only required to chain four drive tires. Outside tires of drive axles must have chains. Inside tires may have cables.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Code-18 is part of Colorado chain laws.

From CDOT:

There are two levels of the chain law:

Level 1, Code 17 – Single drive axle, combination commercial vehicles must chain up all four drive tires. Cables are not allowed in this instance. All other commercial vehicles must have either snow tires or chains to proceed.

Level 2, Code 18 – Chains are required for all commercial vehicles. Again, all four tires of single-drive tractors must be chained. For dual-drive axle tractors, you're only required to chain four drive tires. Outside tires of drive axles must have chains. Inside tires may have cables.

I wonder how/what they say/feel about the new `permanent/spinner' type chains? Do they ever consider them to actually be `chains' under the above conditions?

Moosemedic

Doesn't really matter becuase the truckers would rather roll the dice on getting a ticket, and the Troopers are too busy with accidents to ticket the truckers, which in turn the truck drivers are counting on.

And so begins another winter season of Colorado road closures.

Halfpint

Doesn't really matter becuase the truckers would rather roll the dice on getting a ticket, and the Troopers are too busy with accidents to ticket the truckers, which in turn the truck drivers are counting on.

And so begins another winter season of Colorado road closures.

The `Spinner/Permanent' types are mounted aligned with the driving wheels and can be engaged up in the cab while the rig is moving. The driver pretty much never has to pull over, get out onto the ground and `install' them. When the need for them is past all the driver does is flip the switch to disengage them.

Basically, the main question I was asking, was "Does Colorado consider them `chains' like they do with the `old fashioned' chains?"

superfreak

The `Spinner/Permanent' types are mounted aligned with the driving wheels and can be engaged up in the cab while the rig is moving. The driver pretty much never has to pull over, get out onto the ground and `install' them. When the need for them is past all the driver does is flip the switch to disengage them.

Basically, the main question I was asking, was "Does Colorado consider them `chains' like they do with the `old fashioned' chains?"

Yes they do.. Even "cooler". Is they approve these "socks"

Autosock

Supposedly work awesome on icy/snowpacks roads.

Halfpint

Yes they do.. Even "cooler". Is they approve these "socks"

Autosock

Supposedly work awesome on icy/snowpacks roads.

FAR OUT!

It kind of makes one wonder how, with either of these two alternatives, a trucker would still want to play `roulette / craps' by not taking advantage them. Even with the initial co$t of the `Spinner/Permanent' type chains it's probably less than a ticket and *definitely* a whole lot less than a lost life. ( I suspect that the difference is greater with the `sock' even if one also counts the time co$t for getting out and installing them.)

I'm going to show the `sock' to SWMBO and we'll probably end up getting a set for both of our SUVs. Dunno about the pickups as we usually have the one we plow out our `lane' with already chained up ready to go to work around here and it doesn't spend much time out on pavement until the snow and ice have pretty much gone away and the chains have been taken off.

Status
Not open for further replies.