SMA Male quick connect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

13CA350

I'm looking for an SMA male quick connect coupler. I have a portable radio (Pofung UV-6R) that I'm going to be moving frequently, but I'd still like to connect it to an external antenna.

Does anyone know if such a connector exists? I'm also looking for a handheld mic for it, although I understand that this isn't the forum for that

Thanks!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Get a BNC adapter.

It's designed for more connect/disconnect cycles, add it's a half-turn to lock/unlock.

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
I've never encountered a legitimate 'quick' connector that would fit an SMA.

+1 for adapting it to BNC. Make sure you get an SMA female to BNC female adapter. This style will work on the Chinese radios but is opposite of most of the traditional Japanese ham radios and scanners.

Look for a shorter, compact adapter that will be able to deal with the strain on the coax.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I've never encountered a legitimate 'quick' connector that would fit an SMA.

I have. In fact, I have some.

They're gold plated, precision machined, and easily cost more than the OP's scanner. Mine were made by Narda.

Amphenol has the QMA series of push-on SMA compatible connectors. Pasternack does, as well.

I'm sure there are some more modestly priced adapters out there, but don't be surprised if they have mid-range double digits prices. They're really a specialty item for the test and measurements market. Those guys won't bat an eye about spending $5k for a piece of cable.

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
QMA and SMA connectors are NOT compatible with each other.

QMAs are a electrically identical replacement for SMAs

prcguy

I have also used them on a microwave test bench for speeding up testing of multiple units. They are nice if you are very careful using them and understand their limitations. You might check Ebay for used ones.
prcguy

I have. In fact, I have some.

They're gold plated, precision machined, and easily cost more than the OP's scanner. Mine were made by Narda.

Amphenol has the QMA series of push-on SMA compatible connectors. Pasternack does, as well.

I'm sure there are some more modestly priced adapters out there, but don't be surprised if they have mid-range double digits prices. They're really a specialty item for the test and measurements market. Those guys won't bat an eye about spending $5k for a piece of cable.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I have seen push on 'F' type connectors like that... First time I've come across that style for SMA.

I might invest in a couple.. But, I wonder if frequent use would wear down the threads on the socket?

prcguy

Over time you will cause wear and the push on has a finite number of cycles. For a test bench the device under test may only get a few cycles of the push on but if you use it on the same equipment all the time you have to consider the wear to your equipment.
prcguy

I have seen push on 'F' type connectors like that... First time I've come across that style for SMA.

I might invest in a couple.. But, I wonder if frequent use would wear down the threads on the socket?

13CA350

I went into my local Ham Radio outlet today and picked up some SMA to BNC adapters. When I got home, I tried to mount a diamond antenna K400 on my car, only to realize that the way my trunk articulates doesn't give it enough clearance to open with the mount installed.

I see that there is a 15% charge for returning items, but has anyone had this waived for items that were used for literally five minutes? Just curious

Thanks

13CA350

I have an SUV with weatherstripping on the sides of the trunk, and there is hardly any flat spots besides the top due to the curvature of the sheet metal and the width of the mount

Status
Not open for further replies.