Small Aircraft Reported Down Frederick Co

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephdurnal

Premium Subscriber
Operations on Frederick County P25 System 9D TG 5443
Near Knoxville / Brunswick Launching boat from Weaverton
Trooper 3 unavailable, Trooper 2 in route.

freqhopping

I've started listening to Frederick Co online after hearing Loudoun dispatched for mutual aid. Meanwhile a clueless Civil Air Patrol flight is inbound to Leesburg after passing near FDK then down past Brunswick.

CAP flight heading back north,
2028- starting to follow the river upstream from the Monocacy.

Last edited:

josephdurnal

Premium Subscriber
I've started listening to Frederick Co online after hearing Loudoun dispatched for mutual aid. Meanwhile a clueless Civil Air Patrol flight is inbound to Leesburg after passing near FDK then down past Brunswick.

Wait, isn't this a civil air patrol thing?

They are still trying to find the plane - the civilian was talking on the radio and seemed pretty sure that it went down, although he didn't see an impact, he heard the sound.

freqhopping

N384MD Maryland State Police helicopter over the area per tracking on ADSBexchange.com or OpenADSB iOS app.

Civil Air Patrol aircraft over the area is N608CP

And if the tracking is accurate (seems to be based on CAP following the rivers) they're not looking where they should. They should be looking below the Rt340 bridge at this point.

I seriously doubt TRACON would be able to track a flight flying low along the Potomac.

freqhopping

I just picked up the CAP flight on 149.275 but could only make out them saying they weren't monitoring.

Prime example of the inaccuracy of witnesses. One says it was going upriver, the other down. Do either even know which direction is which?

Last edited:

freqhopping

Do they run FM on 149.275? FMN?

Yeah, PL 141.3

If there was an ELT in Montgomery Co all the flights into Dulles would be reporting it since the approach is currently right over the reported lat/long.

2100- Now hearing CAP saying they are now working with Trooper3. Saying they're picking up 121.5 unmodulated in the area. Well for a few days now I've been receiving strong interference on 121.5 in Leesburg.

CAP flight communicating with TRACON on 125.05.

2134- CAP1808 trying to narrow down the signal on 121.5. They're in the vicinity of Leesburg airport now and believe the signal to be coming from the airport. Good, get the crapped turned off. Did something useful.

2150- Pretty much circling the FAA center in Leesburg now. That's probably what's been transmitting the interference. I don't think they've figured it out yet. Their circles have gotten smaller.

Open carrier on 243.0 too.

CAP heard on R21 input freq 143.55 wondering if they can go air to ground on a VTAC freq to the fire dept.

Last edited:

josephdurnal

Premium Subscriber
There was no plane found by the time I went to bed at 11. I would still categorize this as, unconfirmed. There were 2 911 calls on the incident and additional witnesses on the scene, but many of the witness accounts were contradictory. Can’t listen in on the scanner today, have to go to work.

freqhopping

Good luck with that....

Right? :lol:

They did some training recently but I guess they've never bothered to consider how they'll communicate with public safety. Especially when multiple jurisdictions are successfully communicating with each other on their own systems via patches and they're the odd man out.

On the plus side, no more interference on 121.5 today.

josephdurnal

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully this wasn't a crash, but just a case of some folks seeing a low flying plane and fearing that it had crashed when they lost sight of it.

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/p...cle_11d5052b-0e1f-5f4c-af13-04adcd15decc.html

While there may have been no plane crash, the incident response was real and I think everyone learned a thing or two. Even me, my scanner config doesn't work out well for multi jurisdictional incident monitoring.

Also, one of the boat units from Frederick County seemed to have a hard time communicating on the radio. I don't know much about the Brunswick site on the Frederick County P25 system other than that it is 700mhz, I wonder if all of the county's radios are configured for it. That site should cover the area fairly well.

Last edited:

josephdurnal

Premium Subscriber
I talked to someone familiar with the situation and it was determined that a small plane is housed on a private field strip just across the line in Washington County.

Status
Not open for further replies.