• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Small Base Antenna: SIRIO Boomerang W

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
IMG_4462.jpeg
Each leg about 4’ plus or 9.4’ total

Forgotten I had one of these. Am going to be home long enough it’s worth the trouble to me to get a 5-gal bucket holding a painters extendable pole to run it up a ways.

Similar to this:

IMG_4463.jpeg

Can’t remember if there are rules governing this where I rent (ground space), but it’d need to come back down easily & often. Toss in back of my pickup kind-of-a-thing.

I’d guess its most popular as, “a balcony antenna”.

IMG_4461.jpeg

By report from another Texan (same set-up I’m copying), he does pretty well on SSB with a 148 & 203 (He has “A” version, mines, “W”).

Been needing to cut a hole in the floor to run coax to either something like this, or out to my pickup using that antenna.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior

Looks like Lowes has an extendable that’s just short enough (8’) to fit my pickup, and extends to 23’ which is 12-13’ above my roof (aluminum travel trailer).

I should be able to get it 8-9’ away from other structure. Problem is power lines low & close.

Just gotta find some coax, now.

Skip
rolled in and this antenna at 6’ in a courtyard of a 2-story was workin’ (circa 2021).

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
7.15’ (correction). The “A” model is 11.81’
(from SIRIO website)

Portability (stowage) is priority for me.

Nice price:

Last edited: