Small DIY GPS powered by BCD-436HP -- make it yourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Thanks, guys. If you have any problems or questions with the GPS mod, please post them in the tech support/Q&A thread I started.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I bought an LED for the 3D fix pad on the GPS and may mount that at a later date.

You actually want a bi-color LED with common cathode.The 3D fix output cycles on and off at a 0.5Hz rate while the module is getting a fix, then shuts off. Once the module has a fix, the PPS output pulses high for 100ms once per second. I use a red/green LED with the green side connected to the 3D Fix output through a 330 ohm resistor, and the PPS output connected to the red side through a 3.3K resistor.

In this configuration, the status LED cycles green on and off while the module is getting a fix, and then blinks red once a fix is achieved. The green side of the LED uses about 3mA, and the red side about 0.3mA.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
You actually want a bi-color LED with common cathode.The 3D fix output cycles on and off at a 0.5Hz rate while the module is getting a fix, then shuts off. Once the module has a fix, the PPS output pulses high for 100ms once per second. I use a red/green LED with the green side connected to the 3D Fix output through a 330 ohm resistor, and the PPS output connected to the red side through a 3.3K resistor.

In this configuration, the status LED cycles green on and off while the module is getting a fix, and then blinks red once a fix is achieved. The green side of the LED uses about 3mA, and the red side about 0.3mA.
Cool. Thanks for all your help. Now that I have everything finally working, I am partly inclined to leave it be, haha.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you don't use both outputs, then you won't have status indication when the module is searching for a fix, or else once it gets one.

gillham

Feed Provider
I'm going to go the route of using a HC-05 Bluetooth module and Max3232 installed in the BCD436 paired with a like HC-05 / GPS module with external antenna installed in my car.

In that scenario, all I need to do is bring the radio with me into the car, and it auto pairs with the GPS module and enables GPS.

Would you mind linking the parts you used? I'm interested in putting the HC-05 BT Module and MAX3232 boards inside the 436 - searching the net shows a handful of varieties with different sized PCBs.

I want to get one that's going to require minimal fuss re: the housing of the 436.

Then I need to go antenna shopping - the HC-05 / GPS Module in the project box seems straight forward.

TIA!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
This GPS module is small enough to fit directly inside the 436:

GTOP LadyBird 3 GPS Module - PA6C | eBay

It doesn't get as good of reception as an external GPS, but under normal 436-in-a-vehicle scenarios it will keep satellite lock well enough for Location Control to work (which only needs a position update every mile or two).

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
jonwienke do you think this would work on the HP2? That would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I would have to open one up to be sure, but i think it would probably fit. If you're willing to make a cutout in the case for the antenna, I would pretty much guarantee it.

frazpo

Installation

Is there a post with installation instructions? I went back through and did not see any.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Not one post, but several have photos and info. I have started a tech support thread to cover step by step instructions and detailed technical questions.

yornotelppa

Two questions for you, I just bought a "436" to get back into scanning now that I'm retired and was wondering what you charge to install the GPS system you're doing? The second question, do you have a link to your technical support forum.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I have a request for hopefully someone here.
436HP...

The plastic around my beltclip holder cracked out and I need a replacement back cover.
(I use a regular old Moto mic holder on my dash to hold radio, so I'd like to get this fixed.)

Since it sounds like you guys are cutting out this section when doing (some anyway) of these GPS mods, I was hoping I could maybe swap someone with an intact back that will allow me to secure the radio again.

I suppose plan B is Dremmel flat and Velcro, but the mic holder solution is really working well - that is until the 436 plastic gave out.

Or.... does anybody know if Uniden sells the back cover - and part no.
I didn't see it on their website. Haven't Googled it yet...

Thanks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No dice. I'm cutting a hole in the original back, not a replacement back. The factory belt clip setup is flimsy and I wouldn't recommend using it anyway.

What you really want is a RAM mount with a finger grip holder and whatever mounting hardware is appropriate for your vehicle. Have a look here:
https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/2NBJVGJ2UNPEI?&sort=default

And you might as well get your scanner GPS modded to get rid of as much of the cracked plastic as possible. :D

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Two questions for you, I just bought a "436" to get back into scanning now that I'm retired and was wondering what you charge to install the GPS system you're doing? The second question, do you have a link to your technical support forum.

I charge $75 + return shipping (usually around $15). If your scanner needs C1 installed (this solves a problem that can affect UHF reception when using the stock antenna), I install it for an additional $5 while I have the scanner apart. I don't charge for that upfront because there is no way to know if the scanner has C1 installed until I open it up.

My tech support forum for GPS modding is right here:
https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/356032-internal-gps-mod-tech-support-q.html

PM me or post if you have any additional questions.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Been there, done that...

No dice. I'm cutting a hole in the original back, not a replacement back. The factory belt clip setup is flimsy and I wouldn't recommend using it anyway.

What you really want is a RAM mount with a finger grip holder and whatever mounting hardware is appropriate for your vehicle. Have a look here:
https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/2NBJVGJ2UNPEI?&sort=default

And you might as well get your scanner GPS modded to get rid of as much of the cracked plastic as possible. :D

I have a couple of RAM mounts - and Panavice, and....
Yes, they are functional, but fugly compared to my simple mic clip solution.

I suppose I should just "get rid of the plastic", huh.
What is your current turn-around time given your current popularity and reiterate the procedure to do so please.

Thanks

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Nope, unless I got a clueless phone rep, I was told they don't sell it.
If you have a part number, I'd be glad to take another, more assertive crack at them.

They are glad to have me sent it in and they will replace it.
But, my radio off to Uniden for 4-6 weeks (more?) to take out 4 screws and take <minute...
THAT isn't happening...

KD4UXQ

I've replaced the whole cabinet on my BCD396XT twice in the last 8 years. Including the top knob, SMA connector and speaker once. I had no problems buying parts for it. I hope that ability to buy parts going forward with other models is no different. I used to repair my own cameras too when you could still buy parts from Pentax. When Ricoh took over, they stopped that pretty quick. I have always respected Uniden for allowing me to buy parts.

JamesO

Nope, unless I got a clueless phone rep, I was told they don't sell it.
If you have a part number, I'd be glad to take another, more assertive crack at them.

They are glad to have me sent it in and they will replace it.
But, my radio off to Uniden for 4-6 weeks (more?) to take out 4 screws and take <minute...
THAT isn't happening...

DO NOT deal with humans if it is not required!! Too many companies hire farm animals and do not even train them to understand what their job function is. I hate walking into the bank, I use the ATM all the time.

The Uniden idiot on the phone could just done a simple Google Search or search their internal site.

I posted the link to the rear case above in my prior post. I have 2 brand new ones, I ordered and received in about a week.

It's really not all that hard!!

Again, skip the human interaction and life will be so much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.