small inexpensive SW radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuberadiogeek

I am considering getting a shortwave radio again, since i couldnt get the s 120 i wanted a few months ago.. I came across some fairly inexpensive mini multi band radios i think that cover MW up to 23 MHZ and i was wandering how they would compare to something larger that would use a long wire antenna? I came across this one: 10 Band Analog Digital Am FM Shortwave World Radio Receiver Brand New in Box | eBay and this one: http://tinyurl.com/AD-9011-10-band and finally this one:http://tinyurl.com/katio-wrx-911 They would be something i'd consider until i can find something better, if theyre worth getting.. Also say if i were to get one with a retractable antenna, what are the odds of being able to extend the antenna with wire?

Last edited:

tuberadiogeek

Yeah.. WAY outta of my price range and will be for along time. I'm sure its a good little radio, just i wouldnt be able to afford it. I read alot of reviews on eham.net on the kaito wrx 911 and they all seemed to like it.. out of all i listed that is the one i like the most..

gpsblake

DE1103 or Tecsun Pl-660 both excellent portables, I own both of them.

The WRX-911 will be fine for powerful broadcast stations but lacks the 90 meter band where some of the American domestics hang at. It also suffers from drifting problems in my opinion. But it will work if listening to Cuba, Romania, and Brother Stair is what you want. I use it as a bedtime radio.

If your on a budget, I recommend the Tecsun PL-380 for about 50 bucks. It covers all the bands, has a digital tuner and keys to enter freqs.

safetyobc

DE1103 or Tecsun Pl-660 both excellent portables, I own both of them.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons between these two radios if you don't mind. I owned the DE1103 but have sold it a while back. Been thinking about picking up another one.

Thanks.

tuberadiogeek

I ended up finding a hallicrafters s 120 for 40.00 and i'm going for that one. I will likely get a portable after i learn to use the 120

bgav

Smaller and more inexpensive:

CountyComm - CountyComm GP-4L / EFTR (Emergency Task Force Radio)

I have one on order, will advise.

Here's an update. I received the GP-4L and have been trying it out for the last week. It's a great little radio that has excellent audio and reception for it's size and built in telescopic whip antenna. It's perfect for my intended use for it as a small, pocketable battery powered emergency radio during a power outage/natural disaster, and one that will fit in my BOB. The tuning knob does take some getting used to.

And while not Made in the USA, it's Made in Canada and not cheap plastic junk made in China. IMHO it's a pretty great value proposition for $28 for a very small pocketable shortwave radio.

gpsblake

I would like to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons between these two radios if you don't mind. I owned the DE1103 but have sold it a while back. Been thinking about picking up another one.

Thanks.

I apologize for responding late but here it goes. The main con of the 1103 is the ergonomics. Volume key is a pain to use, keyboard layout is awkward. Also tuning is a pain when you reach the end of a band, the radio will skip back to the beginning of a band. Example: Tuning up from 10000khz will result in the radio going back to 9000khz instead of tuning to 10001khz and upward. 1103 has SSB but it's dual SSB, meaning no separate USB and LSB. One feature I like about the 1103 is the ability to disconnect the ferrite AM antenna and connect a longwire antenna for AM/LW reception.

The 660 has great features, a volume knob, easy to read numbers, easy keypad etc. What I don't like about the 660 is the flimsy stand and the fact that the antenna won't stick straight up in the air when it's on the stand making it hard to keep by a wall for example. However performance wise on shortwave, the 660 is an outstanding performer. However for AM dxing, the 660 falls short of the DE1103 and at least my 660 seems to be off by 1khz when using AM mode. However, when using LSB or USB, the tuning is dead on. I use the 660 for digital signals.

For my usage, I use the 660 more then the DE1103, mainly because it has a dedicated USB and LSB ability.

KA9QPN

I like the Grundig G6. It's a little more than you want to spend, but for the extra $ you get SSB reception. The reviews are all over the map. They compare it against the higher end Grundigs rather than as a low-end radio. Worth your time.

gpsblake

I had a G6 radio. A fine little radio indeed. The only thing on mine is I could never get LSB to work, only USB. Loved how that radio felt in my hands though and being about the size of a pack of playing cards made it a great size for being on the go. And it handled a longwire via gator clips pretty well. Sad to say it's been discontinued.

The price of a G3 has dropped like a stone I've noticed.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
That's NOT a Kaito!

I am considering getting a shortwave radio again, since i couldnt get the s 120 i wanted a few months ago.. I came across some fairly inexpensive mini multi band radios i think that cover MW up to 23 MHZ and i was wandering how they would compare to something larger that would use a long wire antenna? I came across this one: 10 Band Analog Digital Am FM Shortwave World Radio Receiver Brand New in Box | eBay and this one: RARE Ad 9011 Shortwave Am FM Radio with Stand MW SW 1 10 Band Selector 13 75MHz | eBay and finally this one:Kaito WRX911 Portable Am FM Shortwave Radio Adapter | eBay ?

Did anyone see the links he provided? That is NO Kaito. It's a "Kaide": cheap knock off.

The guy's probably purchased his radio by now, but I hope it wasn't one of those in his posting.. they're both knock offs. SW knock offs are NEVER any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.