• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SMARTNET to CONNECT PLUS Crossband

Status
Not open for further replies.

motopro2

I am wondering if anyone out there has been successful in crossbanding a couple of talk groups from Smartnet to Mototrbo Connectplus or visa versa?

Your info/any information would be very very helpful!!

I am currently using 2 XPR4580 radios one in Smartnet mode and one in Connectplus mode! With an old R.I.C.K.

The issue i currently have is that the Smartnet radio does not support or provide a COR or Talkgroup detect line!

Thank you

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I haven't seen that particular requirement, but have seen plenty of Smartnet to conventional interfacing. Radios were modified to bring out a logic level signal that's used for opening up the receive audio path when a talk group is received. Details would be dependent on the specific Smartnet radio you're using, but the general idea would be the same regardless of specific radios or what it needs to interface to.

The radio has to take some sort of positive action when it receives a signal... it opens up the audio path, turns on a busy light, etc. Find the source of that action, and tap into it.

motopro2

Yes my application is for when customers migrate from Smartnet over to Connect +! That way instead of turning off smartnet and on with the new system they an overlap of systems, while we hand out new radios.

The trbo radios that i know of have no action when Receiving. I may have to probe around micros and such. However this is not a path that I really wish to follow.

Thanks!

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the TRBO radios, but you might check for DC voltages at the speaker leads. In the Spectras, the speaker is dc coupled to the audio PA, and when the audio PA is turned on when receiving a signal, a dc voltage appears superimposed with the speaker audio.

If that doesn't work, see if there's an enable line going to the audio PA that goes active when receiving. The beauty of how it was done on the older radios is, it didn't care whether or not it was trunked, conventional, PL or carrier squelch, encrypted, whatever... when the receiver was supposed to make noise, certain voltages appeared and you could use them as a COR.

RKG

While using a COR function for a "patch" type repeater is the preferable way to go, there may well be equipment out there that would handle your situation using a VOX function.

Take a look at an outfit called K. R. Nida Communications. We've used one of their boxes to patch a UHF mobile and an 800 trunked mobile in the back of a command car to effect a field patch, and it works well with one exception: a subscriber on the UHF side does not hear the talk permit tone on the 800.

thassler

I use a XPR4550 to crossband to vhf analog. On the XPR4550 I can set pin #21 to "PL/Talkgroup Detect". Is that not available on the 4580 in Smartnet mode?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I'm with zz0468. Whenever I'm down in the dumps and searching for a COR line I turn to the audio PA. Either the enable line to the PA or bias voltage on one side of the speaker (may need a schmitt trigger to even it out).

Firebuff880

Nick,

I know JPS has 4550 Trbo cables with COR as I use one adapted to my Asterisk box as an audio gateway for Telephone interconnect and patching to Smartphones utilizing a SIP client. But not ConnectPlus.

I would contact them an see what they might have to offer. I would look in my repository of cable drawing for you but I am traveling this week an do not have direct access. If this question is still open when I am next near my cache I will try and remember to look.

The ACU-M with (VOX or VMR) might be a good solution for you if COR is not available.

Another interesting source for cables is Pryamid Technologies.

================

I am wondering if anyone out there has been successful in crossbanding a couple of talk groups from Smartnet to Mototrbo Connectplus or visa versa?

Your info/any information would be very very helpful!!

I am currently using 2 XPR4580 radios one in Smartnet mode and one in Connectplus mode! With an old R.I.C.K.

The issue i currently have is that the Smartnet radio does not support or provide a COR or Talkgroup detect line!

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.