BC346XT: SO vs. GRP

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
I am still not understanding this whole quick key thing. I have tried to read Mark's easier to read manuals, and I cannot make sense of it. For now, I am treating the SO as banks and that makes sense to me. What to do they mean, and what is the GRP under it? Can someone break this down into idiot terms to me. I just want to program some stuff in and be able to turn it on and off at the push of a single button like the old days of banks and channels.

mully95

I've tinkered with quick keys and found that I just don't need to use them. Some people might but I just found them a PITA.

I just program a favorite list with each system I want to scan using Sentinel. One system for one favorite list. If I don't wish to scan a certain system any longer I select "Menu", select "Set Scan Selection", select "Select Lists to Monitor" and then go and turn it "OFF".

I've tried using the quick keys and found myself looking in Sentinel on my computer to remember what is assigned to each quick key. Using the method above I don't have to resort back to Sentinel.

If I want to turn a certain "TGID" or "Channel" off I hit "Avoid"...... then when I want to listen to the "TGID" or "Channel" I hit "Avoid" again.

Of course I've made certain "Location" is turned off all systems and favorite lists etc..

Everyone does it differently

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
For example I set a SO 3 for local shore police departments. I have three groups, 2-3-4 programmed under it SO 3. I want to be able to turn on and off 2-3-4 depending on my listening preference. I cannot seem to figure this out.

Otto

Maybe I can explain how I use it:

I use SO as a SYSTEM button. Where I live there are four analog public safety trunked systems, one for each county. Each counties system is in a SO. Then in GRP I break it down to the groups of TGs I want to monitor. So SO1 is the Portland TRS. In the GRP section I have it divided into GRP1 Police GRP2 Fire GRP3 Public Works etc.
I do that for every system I want to monitor.
Then I set up a NON TRUNKED SO, that has all the non TRS systems in it, like one GRP would be State Police, another GRP would be a neighbor county that runs it radio services in conventional analog in another GRP , all on that same SO.
This way I can select a SO, or multiple SO's and monitor. What's nice is you can add or delete what you want from your scan list rather quickly by just a button press or two on the keypad, rather than going into menus and stuff. So yes it's sort of like the old BANKS of frequencies setup yodel scanners used to employ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Envision a large box and inside that box are one or more (as many as 20) smaller boxes. A "System" is that large box. A "Group" would be one of those smaller boxes.

Your example has "S0" which is actually the letter "S" for system and zero "0" which is the quick key for that system. GRP indicates the quick key(s) for the group(s). While it seems strange, even though you can have 20 groups, you can have only 10 group quick keys.

Systems can have System Quick Keys from 0 to 99. Groups can have Group Quick Keys 0 to 9.

System Quick Keys 0-9 are "one button press" operation. Thus for example a system with a System Quick Key of 5, requires only pressing 5 on the keypad to toggle on/off. If you assign a System Quicky of 10 or higher, then you press the period button first, then the two digits. In other words, a System Quick Key of 15 requires ".15" to toggle on/off.

There are two sides to the argument: SQKs 0-9 are that one button press. But you can inadvertently bump a button and toggle the SQK. With SQK 10 and higher, you have to press the period button first, lessening the chance of inadvertently toggling the SQK.

Toggling Group Quick Keys is a little more "dicey". Your scanner has to be actively scanning the system before you can toggle a Group Quick Key associated with that system. To do so, you would press the Function button, then the associated Group Quick Key number.

As does the previous poster, I typically assign channels (either talkgroups or conventional frequencies) based on the service (police, fire, EMS, etc.)

eaf1956

Feed Provider
For example I set a SO 3 for local shore police departments. I have three groups, 2-3-4 programmed under it SO 3. I want to be able to turn on and off 2-3-4 depending on my listening preference. I cannot seem to figure this out.

In your example: to turn off the entire local shore system you would press the 3 button making the 3 under SO turn to a *

To turn off a GRP while scanning the SO 3 system press FUNC and whichever GRP you wish to turn OFF or ON. On shows the number under GRP off shows the *

Note: make sure you are scanning the system when you turn on/off the groups otherwise you may turn off groups in other systems. Pressing Func while in the SO 3 system will keep it in that system until the F disappears.

Status
Not open for further replies.