• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

So what do you use a Log Periodic Antenna for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back story-I found a company that was liquidating a whole bunch of inventory and happened to pick up some of these antennas new and unopened in a box. Can anyone tell me what specific application an antenna like this would be used for?

Kathrein Scala Division CL7-300 225-400 MHz band. Item Height 28 inches, and Item Length 62.1 inches.

Here's a link to the product. It looks like it's discontinued.

https://www.kathreinusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/CL7-300.pdf

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks
Jason

zz0468

QRT
Banned
225-400 MHz is a federal government band for various services. Aircraft, point to point links, trunking systems, satcom, etc.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Note also that Log Periodic antennas are directional (not as directional as a Yagi, though, but much wider bandwidth). Good for pointing at a target transmitter site for weaker-signal reception within the spec'd band.

KB7MIB

Log periodic antennas are wideband directional antennas. This particular one is designed for the UHF military aircraft band, as well as some goverment land mobile systems in the 380-400 MHz range.
You can either put it on a rotator, or you can mount it fixed in one specific direction.

John
Peoria, AZ

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Back story-I found a company that was liquidating a whole bunch of inventory and happened to pick up some of these antennas new and unopened in a box.

Kathrein Scala Division CL7-300

Thanks
Jason

Jason, how many do you have, and are you interested in selling any, and if so how much?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Just a reminder...

We do not allow the buying and selling in the forums. Please handle this in the Classifieds section or private messages.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I am intrigued in them, too.

The log periodic antennas I have used the most covered 2 to 30 MHz, at a military comms site. They were a little bigger than the ones you have.

Sent using Tapatalk

KB7MIB

So this is not a civilian use antenna. Hmmmm. Anyone need a military band antenna :) :) :)

A civilian can most certainly use it to listen in on that band. Obviously, you could not transmit, however.

Depending on the SWR, it might be useable in the 222-225 MHz Ham band. In which case, if you're licensed, you could transmit with it.

John
Peoria, AZ

freddaniel

Log Periodic antennas are wideband & directional, and typically have the performance of a 4 element yagi, but with greater front-to-back ratio. They excel at transmitter combining because of the wide bandwidth, and the power rating is only limited by the feedline and connector. That antenna will easily operate 10 to 15% above and below the frequency specification, so it is a great 216-225 antenna also. That Kathrein brand is a SCALA original design. Very high quality product.

These work well for ribbon systems, along a railroad, river, highway, with two mounted 180 degrees from each other. They would be fed with two feedlines connected to a hybrid coupler. That would provide two additional ports for two duplexed radios, talking both directions without combiner losses.

The only other broadband yagis are made by Sirio WY400-3N as a UHF 400-470 MHz Base Station 3 Element Yagi. The driven element is a very large diameter, as compared to the remaining elements. The power rating is limited to 150 watts. They make wideband VHF yagis and a wideband ground plane with a big radiating element.

spacellamaman

Just a reminder...

We do not allow the buying and selling in the forums. Please handle this in the Classifieds section or private messages.

alright boys now lets just form an orderly and civilized line and mosey our way over to the.....ME! ME FIRST!!! DIBS!

I suspect there wont be buying and selling but more likely an auction.

of course i will be using mine for a fancy tie rack

Last edited:

spacellamaman

Oh yea? I have a pair of dual polarity versions with 3dB Hybrid Couplers for circular polarity. They can be used as a dual horizontal or vertical or right or left hand circular. I can dry all my socks and still have a dozen elements left over for a bird perch or whatever.

i always knew those dual polarity versions with 3dB Hybrid Couplers just HAD to be good for something.

everything i think to type next i keep having to erase cause i suspect a moderator will object.....

but either way its nice to see the birds have a friend, though i have to wonder if you have enough socks... or too many... it appears its google'n time

Thayne

I know the FCC field offices usually have one or 2 on the roof; maybe for checking out complaints before they go out mobile and really check out complaints.

mancow

Database Admin
I think I have one of those in the garage.

Is this possibly the same thing?

O5oCv11m.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.