Software Download Procedures BC796D

Status
Not open for further replies.

K3JTP

Premium Subscriber
Just received a BC796D, which needs to be reprogrammed for this area. This is my first trunking scanner. Not sure which programming software to purchase (ARC, ProScan, ScanControl??), but cannot program radio until I get a proper serial/USB converter cable. Can I purchase and upload software to my computer today (take advantage of sales?) and then program the radio at later time when I get the cable, or does the radio have to be cabled to the computer during software upload from the publisher. Also, any recommendations as to the serial/USB converter?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just received a BC796D, which needs to be reprogrammed for this area. This is my first trunking scanner. Not sure which programming software to purchase (ARC, ProScan, ScanControl??), but cannot program radio until I get a proper serial/USB converter cable. Can I purchase and upload software to my computer today (take advantage of sales?) and then program the radio at later time when I get the cable, or does the radio have to be cabled to the computer during software upload from the publisher. Also, any recommendations as to the serial/USB converter?
I would go with ProScan. Not only does it support your scanner, but also a number of other models, including the DMA scanners such as the 396T & -XT, and 996T & -XT. It also has logging/recording, which is an extra cost option with the ARC software (which covers only a couple of models). ScanControl is no longer actively supported.

You don't have to have the scanner connected to install the software. For information on connecting via USB, see Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki
I use one of the Monoprice adapters on my laptop, with no problems, although a few people have had issues.

lep

ProScan features updates for future versions once you have paid the initial fee. The current version is 6.7. The author of both ProScan and ARC are members of rr.com and often monitor and respond to comments on these forums. I have the 796D and both ProScan 6.7 and ARC 250 {which covers a number of models, not just the 250, Butel is having a Friday 50% off sale this weekend btw). Either program will work fine for programming, especially if you have a premium membership to rr.com for downloading the selected database.

Status
Not open for further replies.