Software problem maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5KS

Premium Subscriber
I have a new Pro-197 RS digital scanner, bought the RS usb cable to program the scanner. No problems programming it. Well, decided to download PSREdit, ARC500, Win500 full versions and none of them can read or write to the scanner. No errors with the RS cable coming up showing USB COM3 with NO errors in Device manager at all . Boot up the trial Butel software that came with the cable and can read, write to the scanner. Any suggestions ?

Kind of funny.

Thank you

Kenny

WyoWabbit

Is the cable catalog number 20-546 (the newer black box one)? Have you tried using the cable WITHOUT the 3" extension cable? (Even though the manual says to use it on the PRO-197). - Tom

KG5KS

Premium Subscriber
RS 20-546 black cable, use extension for mono as noted in docs. Works fine with trial, but not any other.

KG5KS

Premium Subscriber
Fixed it

Well, taking off the extension did it !! Everyone of them downloaded the scanner into the program. Don't know which is better software now. :-( Guess will research which is best for the RS 197. Appreciate your replies.

Thank you

Kenny

w2xq

Mentor
... Don't know which is better software now. :-( Guess will research which is best for the RS 197. Appreciate your replies.

It depends on what you are looking for in features and I assume you've read through the RR Wiki. Most s/w have a 30 day trial period.

Win500 is a speeding bullet in uploading and downloading files, far surpassing anything else that I tried. For me, downsides are (1) lack of a comprehensive help file/document that explains the optional settings and check-boxes beyond the programming objects (as explained on the Utah Radio site) and (2) the inability to export the p500 files into something readable (e.g., a CSV file). There is a learning curve, but the RR forum participants are really helpful. Now I feel comfortable with the program... but I am still learning.

Some other scanning software stores files in a CSV format, which makes editing a breeze for wholesale adds and edits, search and replace. (I like and use the powerful jEdit - Programmer's Text Editor - overview for text files.) The CSV format flexibility within a spreadsheet (l use Google Docs and LibreOffice Home » LibreOffice) makes sharing data files with any other software using a CSV format easy; just rearrange the columns as required and export into a new CSV file. Downside of using software that uses CSV format is the time required for uploading or downloading to the scanner is longer than, say, Win500.

Whatever I use (I have several s/w packages), I always make backups of any configuration and data files. On the data files, I include in the file name the current date and a version number. When I make changes I first save the current file with a new name, e.g, "2011-11-25_v1", "2011-11-25_v2", "2011-11-26_v1", before making adds, edits and deletes. I can then always revert to an earlier version of the file when I mess something up in experimenting with settings or objects.

Experiment, and backup, and perhaps buy more than one programming software package. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.