Solid Coax in Vehicles

billyfromhill

Premium Subscriber
Is solid coax OK to use in a mobile application? Laird makes the MB8X mount which has RG8X solid coax which I think I'm going to use for all my installs moving forward. I know solid primary wire is a no-no in mobile applications but I'm not sure if coax will fatigue?

Solid center coax is perfectly fine for mobile installs. Depending on the desired band, it is really the only option as stranded center would have to much loss.

I use the MB8X for all my personal vehicles, never a problem.

Solid wire in the 12 volt world has to do with connection issues. Example: you can't butt splice a solid wire without fear of it loosening and causing a problem, or any crimp connector. That's why you never see a crimp connector in house wiring. Also, solid wire is not flexible enough.

Last edited:
I've used LMR-240 (bought the mount by accident).
It worked fine. It was a bit stiffer than the stranded center conductor, and you'll need to be a bit more careful when you route the cable.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Is solid coax OK to use in a mobile application? Laird makes the MB8X mount which has RG8X solid coax which I think I'm going to use for all my installs moving forward. I know solid primary wire is a no-no in mobile applications but I'm not sure if coax will fatigue?
Are you sure its solid coax. If labeled RG8X none of the quick Google searches I did spec it as solid. I use it in my shack and it stranded too. I'm not saying its bad, just pointing out a possible difference in name vs. material.

Mike

W9BU

Lead Wiki Manager
Super Moderator
I've never been a fan of solid center conductor cable in mobile installations. I worry, possibly without foundation, about the vehicle's vibration work hardening the center conductor resulting in breakage.

Larsen used to offer a double shielded RG58-type cable on their mounts that I thought was worth the expense. But, I don't see it in the cut sheet you provided.

If you are worried about the different in loss between R8X and RG58, I think it is not worth worrying about in the cable lengths you find in most mobile installations.

How hard is it to attach your own coax to a NMO mount? Is there a guide anywhere?
Depends on the mount. The basic ones are just a solder connection. Center conductor is soldered, and the outer shield has tabs that bend around and soldered.

The -HF mounts have a soldered center conductor and a crimped shield.

Easy enough to solder your own NMO mount, even if you don't have a crimp tool. You can buy "bare" NMO mounts, or just salvage and old one.

I've never been a fan of solid center conductor cable in mobile installations. I worry, possibly without foundation, about the vehicle's vibration work hardening the center conductor resulting in breakage.
I've experienced a broken solid centre conductor cable in my car installation. Never had any issues with stranded. And given the shorter length of cable used in most (all?) mobile applications I wouldn't expect much of difference in performance between solid and stranded.

Solid center confuctor RG58 has been the industry standard for many decades and is used on virtually ever mobile installation so no, not a problem at all.

Everything nowadays coax wise is pretty much solid center in a vehicle. All your modem antenna's, WiFi, cellular, radio, etc have some sort of solid center coax. Usually high frequency mounts use a LMR-195 type cable, buy same physical size as RG58.

A problem with solid center is improper coax installation. If done with a knife, care must be taken NOT to score the center conductor, or you will have problems. Otherwise, I've never had a problem.

Proper strain relief, routing, securing, etc. prevents most issues. If coax center conductor is breaking due to movement or vibration, then that's a separate issue.

If you are using a mobile antenna with a portable radio in a vehicle, then making sure you have a stranded center conductor would be a good idea.

billyfromhill

Premium Subscriber
Depends on the mount. The basic ones are just a solder connection. Center conductor is soldered, and the outer shield has tabs that bend around and soldered.

The -HF mounts have a soldered center conductor and a crimped shield.

Easy enough to solder your own NMO mount, even if you don't have a crimp tool. You can buy "bare" NMO mounts, or just salvage and old one.
Is there a special tool used to crimp the NMO mount to the braid?