• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Solid Coax in Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyfromhill

Premium Subscriber
Is solid coax OK to use in a mobile application? Laird makes the MB8X mount which has RG8X solid coax which I think I'm going to use for all my installs moving forward. I know solid primary wire is a no-no in mobile applications but I'm not sure if coax will fatigue?

12dbsinad

Solid center coax is perfectly fine for mobile installs. Depending on the desired band, it is really the only option as stranded center would have to much loss.

I use the MB8X for all my personal vehicles, never a problem.

Solid wire in the 12 volt world has to do with connection issues. Example: you can't butt splice a solid wire without fear of it loosening and causing a problem, or any crimp connector. That's why you never see a crimp connector in house wiring. Also, solid wire is not flexible enough.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've used LMR-240 (bought the mount by accident).
It worked fine. It was a bit stiffer than the stranded center conductor, and you'll need to be a bit more careful when you route the cable.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Is solid coax OK to use in a mobile application? Laird makes the MB8X mount which has RG8X solid coax which I think I'm going to use for all my installs moving forward. I know solid primary wire is a no-no in mobile applications but I'm not sure if coax will fatigue?

Are you sure its solid coax. If labeled RG8X none of the quick Google searches I did spec it as solid. I use it in my shack and it stranded too. I'm not saying its bad, just pointing out a possible difference in name vs. material.

Mike

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I've never been a fan of solid center conductor cable in mobile installations. I worry, possibly without foundation, about the vehicle's vibration work hardening the center conductor resulting in breakage.

Larsen used to offer a double shielded RG58-type cable on their mounts that I thought was worth the expense. But, I don't see it in the cut sheet you provided.

If you are worried about the different in loss between R8X and RG58, I think it is not worth worrying about in the cable lengths you find in most mobile installations.

billyfromhill

Premium Subscriber
How hard is it to attach your own coax to a NMO mount? Is there a guide anywhere?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
How hard is it to attach your own coax to a NMO mount? Is there a guide anywhere?

Depends on the mount. The basic ones are just a solder connection. Center conductor is soldered, and the outer shield has tabs that bend around and soldered.

The -HF mounts have a soldered center conductor and a crimped shield.

Easy enough to solder your own NMO mount, even if you don't have a crimp tool. You can buy "bare" NMO mounts, or just salvage and old one.

mrweather

I've never been a fan of solid center conductor cable in mobile installations. I worry, possibly without foundation, about the vehicle's vibration work hardening the center conductor resulting in breakage.
I've experienced a broken solid centre conductor cable in my car installation. Never had any issues with stranded. And given the shorter length of cable used in most (all?) mobile applications I wouldn't expect much of difference in performance between solid and stranded.

lmrtek

Solid center confuctor RG58 has been the industry standard for many decades and is used on virtually ever mobile installation so no, not a problem at all.

12dbsinad

Everything nowadays coax wise is pretty much solid center in a vehicle. All your modem antenna's, WiFi, cellular, radio, etc have some sort of solid center coax. Usually high frequency mounts use a LMR-195 type cable, buy same physical size as RG58.

A problem with solid center is improper coax installation. If done with a knife, care must be taken NOT to score the center conductor, or you will have problems. Otherwise, I've never had a problem.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Proper strain relief, routing, securing, etc. prevents most issues. If coax center conductor is breaking due to movement or vibration, then that's a separate issue.

If you are using a mobile antenna with a portable radio in a vehicle, then making sure you have a stranded center conductor would be a good idea.

billyfromhill

Premium Subscriber
Depends on the mount. The basic ones are just a solder connection. Center conductor is soldered, and the outer shield has tabs that bend around and soldered.

The -HF mounts have a soldered center conductor and a crimped shield.

Easy enough to solder your own NMO mount, even if you don't have a crimp tool. You can buy "bare" NMO mounts, or just salvage and old one.

Is there a special tool used to crimp the NMO mount to the braid?

Status
Not open for further replies.