Some SAPD comms in clear!?

SA_tx_88116

Rather listen than to stream
If you go to the RR database for San Antonio and click on one of the blue talkgroup links for SAPD and it takes you to broadcastify and you scroll down to see some of the previous transmissions from today some of them are in the clear can anyone explain this? And this is only for north patrol, some west patrol, and a little bit of south patrol

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Well, at some point a submission was made to the db stating full enc was in use, TE. After listening, seems like the clear calls are the dispatcher. So a submission could be made for partial enc, or Te on those tg's.

SA_tx_88116

SAPD traffic A also seems unencrypted I don’t know why police agencies encrypt traffic police channels anyway

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Last time I listened to the AARRS, SAPD was for the most part encrypted, including dispatch.

I have noticed on a number of Harris P25 systems, some units will randomly come across clear on talkgroups that are normally encrypted full-time. That had happened a lot on the New Braunfels Police Dispatch talkgroup when I lived down there, PD would just randomly come across clear on the LCRA. And then a few minutes later, back to full time encryption. Not sure why. Have heard it happen on Harris systems other than AARRS and LCRA too. Haven’t seen it happen on any Motorola or EFJ P25 systems.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
That's a whole debate for in the tavern.
But on that channel I only hear one tu talking to himself
Yes, seems to only be the dispatcher. The units in the field are enc. But for those in the area, getting dispatch in the clear is better than nothing at all. But it could also be that radios may have been recently updated or something. They could go back to full enc at any time.

Glad I am not part of reddit.

Dmr and Provoice license to listen to Phase 2. SMH

1700278371508.png

nd5y

I have noticed on a number of Harris P25 systems, some units will randomly come across clear on talkgroups that are normally encrypted full-time.
The WIchita Falls system is the same way. PD is supposed to be strapped full time encryption. Occasional clear phase I transmissions when they should be phase II encrypted. It appears to be getting worse over time. There are a few radios that appear to be phase I clear almost all the time for some reason.

The EDACS system it replaced was like that too. PD was ProVoice encrypted but occasional single transmissions in clear analog.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I doubt it has anything to do with Harris in particular. With NBPD, they have clear transmissions when DPS or another agency talk to them, and the dispatcher sometimes does channel announcements during incidents in the clear. I haven’t seen the SAPD activity to know for myself yet, but I’d bet they aren’t truly strapped, just told to remain secure at all times by their command. Buttons get pressed sometimes.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
All I hear is encrypted garble on the call history. Which ones did you look at? I looked at North, and South. If the dispatchers are coming across, it is random, and they usually hit a button by accident or lack training in checking the screen to ensure the channel is secure. A lot of agencies on this system seem to have mixed modes. Or, again, lack of training for the officers on how to know when their radio is secure. For the Harris XL-200 its just a switch around the volume knob. Northside ISD PD is all over the place. Dispatch in the clear, and about half of the units are encrypted. UTSA PD went encrypted except for two officers I have recorded.

The radios don't know if they are receiving or transmitting encrypted or in the clear if the radio has all the keys in it.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
But on that channel I only hear one tu talking to himself what are traffic channels used for anyway
I am looking at it right now and it is fully encrypted. The Traffic A channel is a citywide channel. Traffic units, DWI, K9 and Eagle monitor it when not on assignment to another channel.

SA_tx_88116

All I hear is encrypted garble on the call history. Which ones did you look at? I looked at North, and South. If the dispatchers are coming across, it is random, and they usually hit a button by accident or lack training in checking the screen to ensure the channel is secure. A lot of agencies on this system seem to have mixed modes. Or, again, lack of training for the officers on how to know when their radio is secure. For the Harris XL-200 its just a switch around the volume knob. Northside ISD PD is all over the place. Dispatch in the clear, and about half of the units are encrypted. UTSA PD went encrypted except for two officers I have recorded.

The radios don't know if they are receiving or transmitting encrypted or in the clear if the radio has all the keys in it.
It was like 3 days ago