Someone is pirating 460.275 in NW FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcvaughn

I'm in Walton County, and have been hearing someone operating on 460.275 for the past couple of hours. Mostly jibberish (mwooweeewhoooo type stuff) but I have heard what appears to be spanish also. I can't make it out. I believe that this frequency is a WCSO channel, and actually heard some ops being discussed in between this foolishness. I am located about 5 miles south of the nearest tower attributed to the frequency. Anyone else hearing this or know more about it?

DanHenry

Possible band opening?

Hi gcvaughn,

I'm about 10 miles west of Fort Walton Beach, FL and just monitored the spanish traffic you're hearing on 460.275. PL in search showed 93.8 but that might not be valid. There was also an end of transmission beep after each call.

It almost sounds like there's a nice band opening. A quick check on the VHF weather channels here had audio on 6 of 7 freqs with just a handheld when I usually only get one. That's a sure sign for me that something is going on. I also did a quick check of the FL SLERS control channels (800 Mhz) and heard more than I normally do.

The official traffic you heard might have been Fort Walton Beach PD with a tone of 186.2. They tend to run a lot of traffic there to stay off their primary and I heard FWB several times before/after the spanish. You should be close enough to FWB for a decent signal.

Looking at your scanner equipment list from another post of yours looks like you're well equipped over there for all the good milair monitoring.

-Dan

Last edited:

james32746

Premium Subscriber
It's a band opening for sure and a good one too, from my house in Lake Mary, north of Orlando I am getting Fort Myers, Tampa, West Palm Beach, and Miami DTV stations on my DTV converter box and 800 MHz trunked radio signals from as far away as Broward County.

gcvaughn

Thanks for the replies, Dan and James. That must be one heck of a band opening, as I heard it on my pro-2042 that is temporarily set up with just an extendable handheld antenna! So maybe it was Cuba?

You're probably right about the LEO traffic being FWB, they were talking about some prescription fraud, from what I could tell.

I'm eventually going to set up for the MILAIR monitoring, just need to find a tower and some decent antennas. Never seem to find the time to get the gear set up right.

Thanks again for the help.

whooey

gcvaughn said:
I'm in Walton County, and have been hearing someone operating on 460.275 for the past couple of hours. Mostly jibberish (mwooweeewhoooo type stuff) but I have heard what appears to be spanish also. I can't make it out. I believe that this frequency is a WCSO channel, and actually heard some ops being discussed in between this foolishness. I am located about 5 miles south of the nearest tower attributed to the frequency. Anyone else hearing this or know more about it?
I heard the same thing that night here in Gainesville on that freq! Weird.

gcvaughn

Thanks for tying this together, Jeff! Makes me wonder how far this signal reached and from where.

trooper890

460.275 is a statewide mutual aid channel "E channel". its not built out statewide, but it will be, and alot of the older repeaters were carrier squelch.

there is likely an inversion w/ the offiending spanish signal keying up multiple repeater sites that arent knocked down...

Gainesville/Alachua used it alot back in the UHF days, and the repeater is still online, AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.