• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Someone used my credit card in Canada!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ch1ronTL34

I was traveling from Toronto to Michigan, where I live, and I stopped somewhere in Canada to get gas for my motorcycle. I don't know if maybe I forgot to hit some button that said "do you wish to end this transaction" or what, but I see that I have a $101.08 charge from that gas station. But I only put in $10 into my motorcycle. I'm thinking the person behind me used my number to fill their tank up.

I am planning on calling Visa tomorrow to report a fraudulent charge. Does anyone have any experience with fraudulent charges? Did you get your money back?

Thanks

af5rn

Actually, this happened to me last week. I got a phone call at home from some web-based company confirming my order for some sun dresses and sandals. Uhhh... this man didn't order any sundresses or sandals! So I call my bank on the next day and sure enough, somebody in Colorado used my credit card all weekend long to rack up a $3500 dollar tab, mostly on women's clothes and accessories, as well as a plasma TV.

Just call your bank. They'll immediately cancel the card and issue you a new one. Then you call your local police and file a phone report for credit card fraud. Takes about 5 minutes. Call the bank back and give them that police report number. Then they'll have you sign an affidavit officially disputing any charges you didn't make, and your account will be cleared of those charges. It's pretty quick and easy except for one thing. It took 8 days to get the new credit card, and ten days to get the PIN number for it. The ***** of it all was, I had to fly out of state on day seven. :roll:

Airdorn

Premium Subscriber
One night, my credit card didn't work to pay for dinner at Macaroni Grill. The manager finally convinced the CC company to permit the charge for my meal. :)

Turns out, I apparently bought about $600 worth of crap from some store in Tucson, Az, about 1000 miles away, just minutes earlier.

My bank credited-back the charge within about an hour of this discovery, and they basically said "don't even bother trying to figure out what happened", which lead me to believe it's very commonplace to have identity stolen. A swipe at a gas station might be all it takes.

af5rn

Yeah, I was kind of suprised that the police really don't care anything about pursuing the thieves. I mean, all they'd have to do is contact the merchants, tell them to go ahead and ship the items, then be waiting there for the crooks to sign for the delivery.

CharlesDom

This happened to me before too. I was working for this hospital here in California and I went on a medical conference to New Orleans. The week I got back my CC company called me because there were a lot of charges on my card, wanted to know if I would authorize a $10,000 charge at an auto dealership. I said hell no and with a little investigation, there were over $20k charges on my card in a week. Of course the card was immediately canceled and I received a new one in the mail within a week. From then on, I drastically lowered the max amount of the card.

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
af5rn said:
Yeah, I was kind of suprised that the police really don't care anything about pursuing the thieves. I mean, all they'd have to do is contact the merchants, tell them to go ahead and ship the items, then be waiting there for the crooks to sign for the delivery.
The police will not generally ask a merchant to put inventory at risk. It isn't necessary. All the police have to do is pose as delivery people at the receiving address, then bust whoever accepts the "package."

JESSERABBIT

I apparently got scammed on the internet a few months ago. It involved my ISP, credit card and bank account. I immediately notified all, as well as Experian. A new checking account and credit card were issued. After those episodes, there have been no occurences of comprise on the new accounts. My isp has not had any problems as well. I have checked with Experian and nothing has surfaced in the last few months. Experian has said that they will notify my if there are any more problems. A while back there was a problem with PayPal. They were notified and I was told that they took care of it. I am sure that the new credit card issuance made the difference for them. What a hassle, but well worth the effort to correct it.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Id escalate that into a Fraud report with VISA
Charge dispute is more for you got the bill and the amount isnt really what you think it should be.

If your card is being used fraudulently report it immediatly or else they could keep using it.

Not sure if you got your $10 of gas and your bill (that should end the transaction) how they could charge another $101 onto it. Even hanging up the pump should end the transaction if u paid at the pump

That being said I live in Canada and use a credit card for gas ALL the time and never had a single problem. But be wary of the guys working at the gas station (some not ALL)... making minimum wage sometimes entices less then moral people to be dishonest sometimes. Lots of cases here of double swipes at the counter (swipe ur card twice to get ur info). Guys apply for a gas job just to do the scam, they dont even want to work there but it helps as you have access to tons of cards.

freqhopping

VISA/Navy Fed was great about identifying a fraudulent charge on my card within a day or so of it happening and then calling me. The charge was only a dollar or so, and at some place about 1000 miles away. The person was probably testing to see if it would work and hopefully not get noticed with a small charge.

I'm surprised they don't call me to ask about some of my charges for a lot money.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
a charge 1000 miles away for $1 probably set off a red flag

freqhopping said:
VISA/Navy Fed was great about identifying a fraudulent charge on my card within a day or so of it happening and then calling me. The charge was only a dollar or so, and at some place about 1000 miles away. The person was probably testing to see if it would work and hopefully not get noticed with a small charge.

I'm surprised they don't call me to ask about some of my charges for a lot money.

af5rn

The one dollar thing is definitely a test to make sure an account is valid. However, it is also done by many legitimate merchants that you deal with, both online and in person.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
True but it did set off some red flag in the system as he got a phone call.

Maybe it was the company who charged the $1.. have in the past had complaints about the $1 charge..

Back on topic hope the Original Poster works it out.. hes a nice guy.

af5rn said:
The one dollar thing is definitely a test to make sure an account is valid. However, it is also done by many legitimate merchants that you deal with, both online and in person.

kg9qm

There was a case locally in the past few days where the customer left their card at the gas station with the attendant (no, I don't know how that all managed to take place). The attendant got off work minutes later and 20 minutes later, the card was being used at another station of the same name. Presumably, by the employee. VIdeo was to be obtained by authorities to find out.

As to the OP, it makes me wonder what access employees (or MANAGERS) have to the transactions being processed. Logic tells me 'none', but it makes one wonder.

I like the places that at least request the billing zip code as a security PIN of sorts. I don't like the places that have started demanding I give them the 3-digit code from the back of my card (mostly on-line retailers). That's seriously compromising the intent of that code in my mind.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
kg9qm said:
As to the OP, it makes me wonder what access employees (or MANAGERS) have to the transactions being processed. Logic tells me 'none', but it makes one wonder.

I like the places that at least request the billing zip code as a security PIN of sorts. I don't like the places that have started demanding I give them the 3-digit code from the back of my card (mostly on-line retailers). That's seriously compromising the intent of that code in my mind.
I work for a department at a major CC company that handles merchant data security. I can't go into too much details as it's a very sensitive topic but I can offer some advice:

1. Go to the larger retailers and gas station chains. Because of the amount of transactions they process, they are required to adhere to very strict data security policies designed to protect cardholder data and the major CC companies actively check the security of these merchants because they represent a much bigger risk than smaller merchants who do fewer transactions.

2. Monitor your account activity DAILY. Make a habit of this - the sooner you can spot fraudulent charges the sooner you can report the theft and start the process to get your money back. In addition, reporting thefts sooner will limit your losses.

3. Many of us have debit cards tied directly to our bank accounts. To a thief it looks like just another credit card, but in reality that's the money you use to pay for just about everything. Many banks now offer free bill pay accounts that you can tie the debit card to instead of your primary. This way you can limit the amount a thief could potentially steal. I have this and only keep in it the amount of money I intend to use plus a few bucks. I never keep more than about $100 in there. That way I'm not stuck wondering what I'm going to do for money until the bank puts the stolen funds back.

4. Realize that no merchant is 100% secure and if there's a will there's a way. Don't think it can't happen to you. Instead, expect it to happen and be prepared for it. That's the best piece of advice I can give you.

-AZ

Ch1ronTL34

Ok well I called VISA today. He found no record of a $101.08 charge on my account....hmmm?
So i looked online, and sure enough, there was a charge for $10, the exact amount i paid to fill up my tank. He said that sometimes VISA will approve $100 or so for gas until they get the actual gas prices from that store or something...I dunno, but all's well that ends well. Thanks for the comments everyone.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
glad u worked it out...
i saw that one time as well they pre-auth $100 (make sure ur card has $100 credit room before pumping) then just decuct what you actually spent

hope you come back and visit again

Status
Not open for further replies.