Sony 2010 and Satellit 700 on the way - which will be better ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertkoa

OK - so let's assume they are both good working Models.

I have been playing around with a Grundig G3 and decided to step up to something better so bid on a 2010 on Ebay and got the Satellit 700 from an Estate Sale at a good price not Ebay- both will be here in a few days.

I have been reading lots of Reviews and am mostly interested in SSB / HAM transmissions .

Reviews suggest better tone from Sat 700- and more sensitivity and much better SYNC on the 2010 but on SSB the Sat 700 has the BFO and Sony does not.

Will be interesting to get my hands on these....

Which one will win ?

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
Why bother with such old receivers which are long in the tooth ?

One would be better off spending money on an Alinco DX-R8T or an Icom R75 (a few new ones still in stock).

Robertkoa

Why bother with such old receivers which are long in the tooth ?

One would be better off spending money on an Alinco DX-R8T or an Icom R75 (a few new ones still in stock).

This is a good point.

The Sony got sent back for Refund because of Error 3..

The Sat 700 I got for a very good price and needs some work although it looks nearly new.

It functions well and very good on SSB but the Aufio is not up to par for a Grundig Sat 700..I will probably have it restored because it sounds pretty good now but I can see how it might be great if I find someone to upgrade.

The Receivers you mention are in the 750 to 1200 range new...? Not sure there is enough SW and SSB around for that much $

majoco

Stirrer
Alinco Dx-R8 - $449 Universal Radio
Icom R75 - discontinued but used - about $400.
Newer "Grundigs" are Tecsuns in disguise.

Blackswan73

Alinco Dx-R8 - $449 Universal Radio
Icom R75 - discontinued but used - about $400.
Newer "Grundigs" are Tecsuns in disguise.

The Sattelit 700 is definitely not made by Techsun!! It is a European built Grundig, and is one of the finest portable receivers ever made. I would look into restoring that one if I had it.

Robertkoa

The Sattelit 700 is definitely not made by Techsun!! It is a European built Grundig, and is one of the finest portable receivers ever made. I would look into restoring that one if I had it.

Yes..this one looks new on front panel- all functions work and the SYNC on this is better than adverised.

I don't know a lot about Receivers but have done pro and amateur Recording so technical in some ways.

This Receiver sounds good for a shortwave but not up to the pristine Audio it should have.

Also I can hear the Right Channel on headphones is weaker with slight distortion audible on Music...not on voice.

I am seeing about restoring or beyond restoring if possible since one light is out- going for LEDs and
getting Audio up to par and wonder if there are quieter more sensitive FETs for the Whip pre that can be dtopped in.

Fooling around with two 20 foot wires inside - I have gotten SSB to sound like an AM Broadcast more than a few times.

But I do want to get DX HAMs from all over ..I did get one from Montreal Quebec-:I'm in Florida.

A really rugged built ( including the whip antenna )
beautiful radio with 2 powered speaker outs- maybe some small Studio Monitors.

On the other hand I did not realize the Alinco and Icom were so cheap....and Drake R8s are not too expensive used.

If I get a dedicated Receiver- it better be really sensitive though

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While those radios are worthy in their own right, Software Defined Radios (SDRs) have pretty much overtaken this market. There are very few, if any, desktops being made out there now (except for the Alinco). We have an extensive article in our wiki with loads of links, including links for reviews, here...

SDRs with HF Coverage - The RadioReference Wiki

And note that we have a separate forum for SDRs...Mike

majoco

Stirrer
That's why I said "newer Grundigs". The Satellit 700 has been superseded long ago, after all it came out about 1992 and even then was based on the Satellit 500.

Compare the Satellit 750 to the Tecsun s2000 and tell me they're not the same radio!

Last edited:

danieldad

Grundig sat 700

JFWIW, I've had my satellite 700 for many years now, ...sort of one my "backup" receivers down at the shore. I have to say that it's easily on par with some of my other high end professional gear, and I only use about 40-50 foot long end fed up in the trees. I had been thinking about parting with it, but It's just too good to let go of.
Check out the reviews of this radio on what.net; pretty impressive.

Robertkoa

JFWIW, I've had my satellite 700 for many years now, ...sort of one my "backup" receivers down at the shore. I have to say that it's easily on par with some of my other high end professional gear, and I only use about 40-50 foot long end fed up in the trees. I had been thinking about parting with it, but It's just too good to let go of.
Check out the reviews of this radio on what.net; pretty impressive.

THIS is interesting.
I noticed you have a 50 foot wire as Antenna.

I notice that sometimes the Whip picks up a lot of stray frequencies...
I have been told the Sat 700 has mediocre sensitivity BUT with a good ext antenna is much better.

I hear some interaction between the Whip and the ext Antenna...using 2 20 foot wires inside near windows one to Ext Antenna one to ground of line out ...sometimes the Whip comes alive and seems much more sensitive.

Not sure if this is normal or not.

I think I want something very sensitive like Sony 2010 BUT with BFO fine tune

OR something like E1 that tunes to 10 hertz so no BFO necessary.

Satellit 700 is a tease because form factor is so nice
and I wonder if it can be modded for more sensitivity but many say no...

Possibly a switch that bypasses the Preselect Feature and a better FET ...but that is a lot of engineering...

So maybe I should try a very long wire to the Ext Antenna .

Quite sensitive then ?

danieldad

THIS is interesting.

I have been told the Sat 700 has mediocre sensitivity BUT with a good ext antenna is much better.

I hear some interaction between the Whip and the ext Antenna...using 2 20 foot wires inside near windows one to Ext Antenna one to ground of line out ...sometimes the Whip comes alive and seems much more sensitive.

Possibly a switch that bypasses the Preselect Feature and a better FET ...but that is a lot of engineering...

Quite sensitive then ?

Hi Robert - I really haven't had any issues with the sensitivity of my 700. ... sensitive, selective, great form factor. I say give a somewhat longer wire a try. If you have success with it, but seem to find some overload, you can place a variable attenuator in line.
I've never used the E1, but have heard that it's a very formidable receiver. ... maybe one day I'll come across one in good condition and at the right price.
Let me know how it works out for you.

Blackswan73

THIS is interesting.

Quite sensitive then ?
Sounds like a Sattelit 800 might be just what you are looking for.

Robertkoa

Hi Robert - I really haven't had any issues with the sensitivity of my 700. ... sensitive, selective, great form factor. I say give a somewhat longer wire a try. If you have success with it, but seem to find some overload, you can place a variable attenuator in line.
I've never used the E1, but have heard that it's a very formidable receiver. ... maybe one day I'll come across one in good condition and at the right price.
Let me know how it works out for you.

Yes.The form factor is great.Mine looks almost new
and it is a beautiful rugged Radio including the Antenna.
I don't think the external antenna overloads on these.

the whip on this...sometimes performs better on SSB with a wire attached...but overall I would say this Sat 700 is about as sensitive as my G3 or maybe less so.
But the G3( properly functioning ) is like the Degen 1103 / G3 so a sensitive little Radio to compare.

And I think the Guys who really like the Satellit use big long Antennas or Pro Antennas hooked up to the Ext Antenna as you say.

BUT on SSB I want to hear *all the voices so a more sensitive Receiver would be great ...
* I mean when on SSB and there are a few people talking but the lower power ones - just dead air..

I naively thought I would be hearing Hams all over USA and have 20 to 50 conversations available at any given time- it's more sparse than that but even with a powerful receiver..the Antenna is probably necessary and I am just playing with two 20 foot Indoor wires...
I think I need a BFO or a 10 hertz fine tune...

Satellite 800 s are a great deal now ...there are many around and more Sensitive probably than 700 from what I've been told....but tuning has no BFO or ultrafine mode for SSB.
And the Satellite 800 is the size of a Mini Cooper-smaller than the 4 door Model...but large.
OK maybe I am exagerrating .

I am looking around also to see what might be available..

Danieldad- question about Sensitivity...
On a given night are your Bands on SSB crowded with Conversations ? Say 30 or more as you move through ?

Or more sparse than that ?

Last edited:

Blackswan73

The 800 does have a BFO, just not an adjustable one. It is completely automated along with the correct offset when tuning a SSB signal.

Robertkoa

The 800 does have a BFO, just not an adjustable one. It is completely automated along with the correct offset when tuning a SSB signal.

So ...since it only tunes to nearest 100 hertz( or is it 50 hertz ?)...does the auto BFO fine tune the voices ?

Also does the Drake SW 8 ( later versions with whip antenna and selectable sideband SYNC ) have this feature ? They are supposed to be very similar to the Sat 800 but the Drake will fit in your car...ha ha.

I like the smaller form factor of the Drake better...

Blackswan73

I can't say about the SW8, never even seen one or knew anyone who had one. I do have a 800 and love it. It is easily equal to or better than my ICOM R70, which cost me nearly three times as much as the 800. SSB comes in Crystal clear on both USB and LSB. Sensitivity and selectivity is excellent.. Also has synchronous detection for fading AM stations. Drake's last offering, and one of their best. , the 800 is large, but not heavy. About the size of a 80's boombox. Has a standard SO239 external antenna connector, as well a a terminal strip.

Robertkoa

I can't say about the SW8, never even seen one or knew anyone who had one. I do have a 800 and love it. It is easily equal to or better than my ICOM R70, which cost me nearly three times as much as the 800. SSB comes in Crystal clear on both USB and LSB. Sensitivity and selectivity is excellent.. Also has synchronous detection for fading AM stations. Drake's last offering, and one of their best. , the 800 is large, but not heavy. About the size of a 80's boombox. Has a standard SO239 external antenna connector, as well a a terminal strip.

Thanks Muskrat...hands on Experience is great..
Radio Jay Allen also thinks very highly of this Receiver...

One amateur Reviewer who liked it said it was like
2 Shoeboxes End to End filled with Rocks- lol.

I know it's not that bad ..and the SYNC is great as is the Audio AND the better ones work great off the whip..
The Drake SW8 later serial numbers are SUPPOSED to be like the 800 but in a smaller package.
From what I have been told the 800 is far more sensitive than Satellit 700..
I got my 700 on impulse buy off Craigslist before I read the Radio Netherlands Review...but probably mine would be better if re-capped and looked over.

I was told they( 700 ) can't be modded for more sensitivity.

On your Sat 800 do you hear HAMs and Amateurs dozens of different ones on a given evening ?

Robertkoa

Thanks Muskrat...hands on Experience is great..
Radio Jay Allen also thinks very highly of this Receiver...

One amateur Reviewer who liked it said it was like
2 Shoeboxes End to End filled with Rocks- lol.

I know it's not that bad ..and the SYNC is great as is the Audio AND the better ones work great off the whip..
The Drake SW8 later serial numbers are SUPPOSED to be like the 800 but in a smaller package.
From what I have been told the 800 is far more sensitive than Satellit 700..
I got my 700 on impulse buy off Craigslist before I read the Radio Netherlands Review...but probably mine would be better if re-capped and looked over.

I was told they( 700 ) can't be modded for more sensitivity.

On your Sat 800 do you hear HAMs and Amateurs dozens of different ones on a given evening ?

Blackswan73

I hear many , especially in the 40m and 20m bands. I also like to listen to the low powered pirates jus below the 40m band, hence my avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.